Martinez Top-Rated B1G QB This Week

Mavric

3 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

It just does not compute to me - we have guys on these weekly B1G or National lists every week ... still only 2 wins.

Two things: the first half of the season, the offensive scoring output wasn’t matching the yardage, and while NU has a lot of skill players on these lists, the linemen aren’t showing up. 

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

It just does not compute to me - we have guys on these weekly B1G or National lists every week ... still only 2 wins.

It's a reason you'll almost never see me evaluate a team based on wins. Lots of noise in the data. We've just found a lot of ways to lose.

Regardless of our final record, you'll see lots of preseason lists next year with us predicted to be most improved. We are doing a lot of things that lead to winning, and over time that will show.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Wonder what his stats on Saturday would have been without the drops. Those dropped passes were right where they needed to be. Except for that one bizarre moment, Martinez did everything he could have possibly done to win.

That really is a good way to put it. 

Frost & Walters drew up a pretty incredible game plan, also. That's something that's been missing from our overall dynamic for a long, long time. That huge pass to our tight end on the left sideline was everything that I thought Frost's offense would be.

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

Wonder what his stats on Saturday would have been without the drops. Those dropped passes were right where they needed to be. Except for that one bizarre moment, Martinez did everything he could have possibly done to win.

I think this is the thing that should stand out to us. He's still a freshmen. There's room to play cleaner. This is going to be fun to watch in the years going forward. 

27 minutes ago, Undone said:

That really is a good way to put it. 

Frost & Walters drew up a pretty incredible game plan, also. That's something that's been missing from our overall dynamic for a long, long time. That huge pass to our tight end on the left sideline was everything that I thought Frost's offense would be.

Benning is discussing this morning how Frost's offense is constantly putting the defense in conflict situations.  The pass to Allen on the sideline is a perfect example.

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Two things: the first half of the season, the offensive scoring output wasn’t matching the yardage, and while NU has a lot of skill players on these lists, the linemen aren’t showing up

The most frustrating thing the last 14 seasons has been the OL play.  I have never thought it was a lack of talent either.  For an OL to be effective, all five players have to do their job at the same time.  What I have seen is maybe four players doing their job while the fifth screws up.  This is what has made the OL look so bad for so long.  And, it's not always the same guy screwing up.  It just seems it's a different guy missing his assignment on most plays that yield in losses.  Our OL hasn't played as a team for a very long time.  While this year didn't start out any differently, I can see the OL play has improved a ton as the season has gone on. 

I had no idea when the season started what to expect for wins and losses.  The one thing I wanted to see is happening.  We're getting better and better each week.  At the end of the season, we will be a completely different team that where we started.  Someone brought it up in another thread how nobody has mentioned lately if last year's team could beat this year's team.  Early in the season, the 17' team would have beaten this team.  Today, the 18' team would dominate the 17' team.  While our record won't show it, we might very well be one of the top three to four best teams in the B1G at season's end.

19 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

The most frustrating thing the last 14 seasons has been the OL play.  I have never thought it was a lack of talent either.  For an OL to be effective, all five players have to do their job at the same time.  What I have seen is maybe four players doing their job while the fifth screws up.  This is what has made the OL look so bad for so long.  And, it's not always the same guy screwing up.  It just seems it's a different guy missing his assignment on most plays that yield in losses.  Our OL hasn't played as a team for a very long time.  While this year didn't start out any differently, I can see the OL play has improved a ton as the season has gone on. 

I had no idea when the season started what to expect for wins and losses.  The one thing I wanted to see is happening.  We're getting better and better each week.  At the end of the season, we will be a completely different team that where we started.  Someone brought it up in another thread how nobody has mentioned lately if last year's team could beat this year's team.  Early in the season, the 17' team would have beaten this team.  Today, the 18' team would dominate the 17' team.  While our record won't show it, we might very well be one of the top three to four best teams in the B1G at season's end.

I think there are differences in body types on the o-line which is currently on the o-line and what Frost is looking for on o-line.  For example, Farniok is currently a starting tackle, but his body type would be a guard going forward.

31 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

A big factor in the line play is that they are finally playing in a scheme that actually helps the O line.  When the defense knows the play is either going to be a drop back pass...or....have a slow hand off to the RB running between the tackles.....it's pretty dang tough to block.  Now....the defense is constantly questioning where the ball is going to go and to whom.  That makes it much easier for the O line to get position, leverage and numbers.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Ulty said:

IMO, the pass to Spielman was one of the few that really "should" have been caught. There were a couple others that *could* have been caught - especially to the tight ends - but they were not easy catches.

I actually thought Martinez was about as "off" as I've seen him. And he was still pretty good. Which is scary, in a good way.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Yep - I've been beating the OL drum for awhile, as have many others. The offensive line has played better overall these last 3-4 weeks and it's one of a several factors contributing to the fact that we now have a couple wins under our belt.

I think brophog said it best - the team is starting to understand what things they can control that eventually lead to winning. As of right now, I don't think it's hyperbole when people predict this team is going to be really good in the coming years.