Martinez Top-Rated B1G QB This Week

Mavric

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Why? It's not like we were watching practice or had really seen AM or TG play.

It was pretty obvious to me, even without being at practices, that the coaching staff was really trying to push AM's buttons. The day in practice that they were clapping for him to go faster and faster in running the offense clinched it for me - because there were no such reports of them doing the same thing for Gebbia. It was also clear, from the beginning, that AM was the guy SF went after FIRST (for a reason - his Dual Threat capabilities) and Frost's formula at UCF involved starting a true Freshman QB in "Year 0" so that he would have valuable experience and be able to hit the ground running in his Sophomore year. And speaking of hitting the ground running, nobody who saw the Spring game (or paid attention all summer) could dispute that AM had the legs and more upside to make positive yardage from a read or a play breakdown.

If anything, I've been pleasantly surprised at what a GREAT passer AM is, in addition to his running threat. We need more dual threat QBs for depth, but if AM can stay healthy his unflappable demeanor is going to serve his team well, as will his other talents.

Most accounts reported they were closer than they were apart, including thoughts from former players who had access to some of the scrimmages. I think TG was the 'safe' prediction from those not in the know. He was completely healthy, older, had some more experience with the college football way of life, and had a pretty good arm.

Nebraska fans are not accustomed to 18-year-old kids starting at quarterback and/or putting up big numbers as a freshman.

4 hours ago, Ulty said:

Wonder what his stats on Saturday would have been without the drops. Those dropped passes were right where they needed to be. Except for that one bizarre moment, Martinez did everything he could have possibly done to win.

I think that is the point of these different stat metrics. Mistakes by others don't hurt Martinez' rating,  I think that's the point of it.

24 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Still blows my mind that 66.6% of Huskerboard voters chose Gebbia as the one to start, just before the starting QB was officially named by SF.

I think most of us thought that because we haven't had that much success at QB recently and we wanted depth.

At least the voters were right that our depth would be shocked if we chose Martinez haha.

7 minutes ago, rdg25 said:

With Martinez, Nebraska is the team the rest of the Big 10 West worries about in the next few years, combined with the Frost spread.   He's developing into a Patrick Mahomes.   Wish we had Martinez, or that he was in another conference.  

I didn't look at your posting history to see what school you are supporting,  but the Big10 West QB (in fairly recent memory) that AM reminds me of is Wisky's Russell Wilson (later Seahawks SuperBowl QB). His running ability, in addition to his passing made him a nightmare for opposing defenses (including Nebraska's).

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Nobody could have possibly predicted the poise/savvy and efficient play of Adrian Martinez. There wasn't anything unreasonable about predicting Gebbia to start, and how impressive Adrian has been in hindsight doesn't make it crazy that people thought he would.

But that's not what the poll was about. It wasn't about the starting QB's poise/savvy and efficent play. It was: Who is Scott Frost most likely to name the starting QB? Weird that you are trying to re-frame it now. Martinez had way more upside and we are seeing that upside sooner rather than later.

Just now, cheekygeek said:

But that's not what the poll was about. It wasn't about the starting QB's poise/savvy and efficent play. It was: Who is Scott Frost most likely to name the starting QB? Weird that you are trying to re-frame it now.

Yeah, and there was very little data either way, so it was a random mostly baseless prediction on the part of everyone. Both players looked good in the spring game. Martinez was the hyped new recruit, Gebbia was the older/more experienced hard working gym rat. Reports were they were neck and neck. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

But that's not what the poll was about. It wasn't about the starting QB's poise/savvy and efficent play. It was: Who is Scott Frost most likely to name the starting QB? Weird that you are trying to re-frame it now. Martinez had way more upside and we are seeing that upside sooner rather than later.

Actually it just said who takes the first snap. I was thinking we would see a lot of both QBs for the first few games with the starting role still being up for grabs. 

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

A big factor in the line play is that they are finally playing in a scheme that actually helps the O line.  When the defense knows the play is either going to be a drop back pass...or....have a slow hand off to the RB running between the tackles.....it's pretty dang tough to block.  Now....the defense is constantly questioning where the ball is going to go and to whom.  That makes it much easier for the O line to get position, leverage and numbers.

And when the only play that works is the QB chuck it up and see if a someone can make a play (Kenny Bell or Westy) it's a lot easier to T-off on o line.  Martinez play is giving some relief to O-Line.