Martinez Top-Rated B1G QB This Week

Mavric

21 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Two things: the first half of the season, the offensive scoring output wasn’t matching the yardage, and while NU has a lot of skill players on these lists, the linemen aren’t showing up. 

Eh, you don't average 216 yards a game rushing and 5.3 per carry, or complete 66% of your passes if your offensive linemen aren't showing up. Frost's offense also asks them to be pretty versatile, and so far they've responded. Credit where credit is due for the whole offense, including a quarterback who is simply more accurate than we're used to.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Eh, you don't average 216 yards a game rushing and 5.3 per carry, or complete 66% of your passes if your offensive linemen aren't showing up. Frost's offense also asks them to be pretty versatile, and so far they've responded. Credit where credit is due for the whole offense, including a quarterback who is simply more accurate than we're used to.

The line has been better the past few weeks.  It helps that the scheme helps the o-line.

My comment about about the o-line not "showing up" has to do on those "grading lists."

21 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

It just does not compute to me - we have guys on these weekly B1G or National lists every week ... still only 2 wins.

Its the coaches fault!:o:D

Actually when we get a few more high quality recruits throughout the 1st & 2nd teams we will be more than a hand full to deal with. Get a few more take it to the end zone guys on O and

a couple real pass rushers on D we'll see Frost's words come true: Better get us now, we'll be hard to beat in the future (my paraphrase)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the decrease in penalties and turnovers. 

We were positive in the turnover margin on Saturday and didn't have as many offensive penalties that wound up stalling drives. Whenever that's the case, you're usually in a position to win the game.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the decrease in penalties and turnovers. 

We were positive in the turnover margin on Saturday and didn't have as many offensive penalties that wound up stalling drives. Whenever that's the case, you're usually in a position to win the game.

I think I saw that it was the first game since Texas 2003 in which NU won the turnover battle, but lost the game.

4 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I didn't look at your posting history to see what school you are supporting,  but the Big10 West QB (in fairly recent memory) that AM reminds me of is Wisky's Russell Wilson (later Seahawks SuperBowl QB). His running ability, in addition to his passing made him a nightmare for opposing defenses (including Nebraska's).

I think he's got a NorthWestern helmet in his avatar area...

20 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

It was pretty obvious to me, even without being at practices, that the coaching staff was really trying to push AM's buttons. The day in practice that they were clapping for him to go faster and faster in running the offense clinched it for me - because there were no such reports of them doing the same thing for Gebbia. It was also clear, from the beginning, that AM was the guy SF went after FIRST (for a reason - his Dual Threat capabilities) and Frost's formula at UCF involved starting a true Freshman QB in "Year 0" so that he would have valuable experience and be able to hit the ground running in his Sophomore year. And speaking of hitting the ground running, nobody who saw the Spring game (or paid attention all summer) could dispute that AM had the legs and more upside to make positive yardage from a read or a play breakdown.

If anything, I've been pleasantly surprised at what a GREAT passer AM is, in addition to his running threat. We need more dual threat QBs for depth, but if AM can stay healthy his unflappable demeanor is going to serve his team well, as will his other talents.

This is why I've always been puzzled as to why Gebbia  stuck around for so long.  Even had he been named the starter, it was just a matter of time (possibly a game or two) before Martinez became the starter.  I've never understood why he didn't transfer out sooner?