Martinez Top-Rated B1G QB This Week

Mavric

56 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I know we would all like to believe that these players commit to a program, but that isn't really what happens.  Players commit to a coach or a staff.  Once that coach and staff is gone, it's not uncommon for players to leave.  Frost didn't really commit to Stanford.  He really committed to Walsh.  Once Walsh was gone, Frost left.  Did Vedral commit to UCF, or did he commit to Frost?  Gebbia leaving was the right decision for him.  I've just never understood why he waited so long.

They used to. That was back when integrity was a thing though. It was also when oral and written commitment meant something.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HuskerMoon said:

Your are right, this was way too short of a post and I ommitted too much for it to be pertinent. Part of being a mature adult, which in the past 18 and 19 year old young men where, was sticking with something you have made a commitment to. . I am just so used to the idea of "quit" from generation snowflake that I neglected that there might have been another choice from someone with an obvious "me first" persona,. I will also add not every member of this generation lives up to the stigma, just enough to make a very noticeable impact.

Back in my day, teenagers never did anything immature!

angry-old-man.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Frost is running a passing offense. A good passer like Gebbia would have thrived in it. Gebbia can run a bit, too. He could well have been a better option than Vedral.

But a guy who can pass as well as Gebbia, run with authority and show Senior level coolness as a true freshman will always get the nod. And Adrian Martinez might be even more special than that. 

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, HuskerMoon said:

You're right. They shouldn't have accountability for their actions or commitments. Only the crotchety and foolish should have such expectations.

Way to miss the point. What I'm saying is old and crotchety people blame kids for everything. They always have and always will. And they conveniently forget that when they were that age kids were just as immature.

"Kids these days" are likely not much different than kids were back in your day. I should know, I've been around "kids these days" a lot, and they are pretty much the same as they were when I was that age. I've taken classes with them, worked with them, and taught them. The whole blaming millennials for all ills thing and acting like teenagers are totally different than they were back in the day is silly.

The only major difference I see now when it comes specifically to college football is it's a sport that makes a lot more $ and the kids have direct access to tens of thousands of fans on the internet and likely also have easier access to the coaches of other programs. The kids themselves aren't much different. Their surroundings are.

• Plus1 2

I'm afraid I have to disagree. The current generation is acutely entitled and lacking in constitution. I too have abundant experience with them as well, in every role you have described. Two years ago I finished my degree surrounded by them as a non traditional student. There were diamonds in the rough, but by and large they expected professors to conform to their whims, thought they were all entitled to an "A" for showing up (or not showing up), and academic dishonesty in every form was rampant. So I'm far from removed from the topic at hand. 

You're right though, you can't blame everything on them, they have adopted the worst attributes of the X'ers  (their parents) and Boomers (their grandparents) and molded it into their own mixture of fail.  

Then again, when you find one of them who has persevered over the constraints of their generation, they can be really special, and not special in the way every participation trophy winning snowflake believes themself to be, but truly special. For they have overcome the odds and are the sole hope of the future. We have some of those guys on this team. 

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm pretty torn. I really enjoy blaming Millennials for everything and figure GenZ is only going to get worse, but the young people I've actually spent time with are really solid, and if I'm being honest, we were kinda awful at their age.

Did you ever walk into class eating a full breakfast, fall asleep during lecture, make smart remarks when you were awake,  then bawl out the professor for giving you an D- (on a curve!) on a quiz in the middle of class, followed by a complaint to the Dean saying you were discriminated against?  No? I saw it live!

2 hours ago, HuskerMoon said:

Did you ever walk into class eating a full breakfast, fall asleep during lecture, make smart remarks when you were awake,  then bawl out the professor for giving you an D- (on a curve!) on a quiz in the middle of class, followed by a complaint to the Dean saying you were discriminated against?  No? I saw it live!

I was in a large physics class and a guy started snoring.  He woke up, realized he had been sleeping, gathered his books and walked out of class.  It wasn't as entertaining as your experience but still pretty funny.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, HuskerMoon said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree. The current generation is acutely entitled and lacking in constitution. I too have abundant experience with them as well, in every role you have described. Two years ago I finished my degree surrounded by them as a non traditional student. There were diamonds in the rough, but by and large they expected professors to conform to their whims, thought they were all entitled to an "A" for showing up (or not showing up), and academic dishonesty in every form was rampant. So I'm far from removed from the topic at hand. 

You're right though, you can't blame everything on them, they have adopted the worst attributes of the X'ers  (their parents) and Boomers (their grandparents) and molded it into their own mixture of fail.  

Then again, when you find one of them who has persevered over the constraints of their generation, they can be really special, and not special in the way every participation trophy winning snowflake believes themself to be, but truly special. For they have overcome the odds and are the sole hope of the future. We have some of those guys on this team. 

The funny thing about anecdotes is it’s easy to find counterexamples and I guarantee there are examples if similar s#!t in every previous generation. It’s also easy to show your example is an anomaly and not something that’s widespread. In all of the classes I took during this decade I never experienced anything remotely similar. None of the 300 college students I taught in the past 4 years ever did anything remotely similar. Obviously there are examples of 18-22 year olds doing stupid, immature s#!t. But one anecdote does not a trend make. I wonder if maybe you went into it thinking you knew what millenials are like and that shaped your attitude toward them.

• Plus1 2