Martinez Top-Rated B1G QB This Week

Mavric

2 hours ago, HuskerMoon said:

Did you ever walk into class eating a full breakfast, fall asleep during lecture, make smart remarks when you were awake,  then bawl out the professor for giving you an D- (on a curve!) on a quiz in the middle of class, followed by a complaint to the Dean saying you were discriminated against?  No? I saw it live!

You're thinking of Animal House. And that was set in 1962. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The funny thing about anecdotes is it’s easy to find counterexamples and I guarantee there are examples if similar s#!t in every previous generation. It’s also easy to show your example is an anomaly and not something that’s widespread. In all of the classes I took during this decade I never experienced anything remotely similar. None of the 300 college students I taught in the past 4 years ever did anything remotely similar. Obviously there are examples of 18-22 year olds doing stupid, immature s#!t. But one anecdote does not a trend make. I wonder if maybe you went into it thinking you knew what millenials are like and that shaped your attitude toward them

Perhaps you are one of the professors and who have helped this environment to flourish, thus you have a difficult time identifying poor behavior?  Ask yourself, have you ever graded on a curve? Given a grade out of pity?  Apologized for offending a student by stating a fact in class? If any answer to this is yes, then that would explain a lot. The one academic example I have is one of the more amusing examples I have of dozens, just at the academic level. Hundreds if not thousands otherwise.

It's always funny how there is this attempt by those with certain ideology to demerit "anecdotes" because since you weren't there there is no way to prove it happened. You don't have the empirical evidence to quantify that Snowflakes have a serious problem. You can't look around and see it in the way they act and the way that impact our ever eroding culture.  The truth of the matter is that life is made up of anecdotes, and they shape every single person's worldview. 

So in my opinion you are either being dishonest about your experience with Snowflakes or you fundamentally have the same mentality and don't see a problem. 

33 minutes ago, HuskerMoon said:

Teenagers and twenty somethings in the 1960s set the precedent for what we have today.

The young people of the 1920s were the drunkest, laziest, and most entitled America had ever seen. And all the adults piled into the stock market uninformed and wanting to get something for nothing. That didn't work out so well.

The Greatest Generation was Great because they didn't have a choice. They had the Depression and World War II thrust upon them.

The teens and twenty somethings in the 1960s probably did set the precedent for what we have today, but some of that is a profound improvement. 

This has been going on forever.  The only thing new is the term "snowflake" which also describes the millions of people throughout history who didn't take criticism well. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, HuskerMoon said:

Perhaps you are one of the professors and who have helped this environment to flourish, thus you have a difficult time identifying poor behavior?  Ask yourself, have you ever graded on a curve? Given a grade out of pity?  Apologized for offending a student by stating a fact in class? If any answer to this is yes, then that would explain a lot. The one academic example I have is one of the more amusing examples I have of dozens, just at the academic level. Hundreds if not thousands otherwise.

It's always funny how there is this attempt by those with certain ideology to demerit "anecdotes" because since you weren't there there is no way to prove it happened. You don't have the empirical evidence to quantify that Snowflakes have a serious problem. You can't look around and see it in the way they act and the way that impact our ever eroding culture.  The truth of the matter is that life is made up of anecdotes, and they shape every single person's worldview. 

So in my opinion you are either being dishonest about your experience with Snowflakes or you fundamentally have the same mentality and don't see a problem. 

I’m not a professor, and I never did any of those things. 

I demerit anecdotes when people use them incorrectly. They can used to prove something wrong. E.g. if someone says eggs never crack, I can hand them a broken egg and one example works to prove it wrong. If someone tries to compare one generation of teenagers to some other undefined generation of teenagers and says something like “One time I saw this kid wearing his pants funny and he rolled his eyes at me. Kids these days!” to prove that kids these days in general are bad then it is absolutely worthless.

Of course they shape a person’s worldview, but if you know what they are you don’t use them as proof of anything which is what you’re doing. I used anecdotes myself when saying most of the ones I’ve been around are fine. This isn’t proof they’re all fine or even most are but I’m not the one whining about a generation of people in a football forum based on a few anecdotes.

The most likely reality is every generation of old farts pisses and moans like “snowflakes” over those darned young people. Also, the term “snowflakes” usually precedes a bunch of drivel and gives me an idea of where you got your ideas on this age group from.

Btw, I looked up college football transfer rates and they are basically flat for the past 14 years. They are 0.6% higher now than they were in 2004. I couldn’t find data from before that.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HuskerMoon said:

Nobody gives a single s#!t about your silly opinion about how terrible the damned youths of America are. Read the thread title and get back on topic - unless you wanna tell us how Adrian Martinez is immature/lazy/irresponsible/snowflake. 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Nobody gives a single s#!t about your silly opinion about how terrible the damned youths of America are. Read the thread title and get back on topic - unless you wanna tell us how Adrian Martinez is immature/lazy/irresponsible/snowflake. 

Adrian Martinez, like a great deal of College football players due to the nature of the game, is a Diamond in the rough. 

Something rare compared to the entire generation. Since only a select few people play college football and some of them (IE: Lindsay, Gebbia) would not fit into the "rise above" in regard to integrity IMO, this and analogy applies aptly.

I'd like to remind everyone that this side discussion began when I insinuated there was once a time when integrity and someone's word meant something, even to 18 and 19 year old kids. Proving that if there is a bad behavior or soceital flaw,, someone will always be there to justify or defend make an excuse for it. Reaffirming my general cynicism and generational criticism.

At this point, I think Adrian Martinez is the BEST QB in the Big Ten and may be one of the top three in the country.   I doubt Frost would trade him for any other QB anywhere.   

I think if we can find players of his caliber for most of the other positions, we can be playing for championships BEFORE Adrian is gone.   He definately looks like an NFL level talent already and once he has a sophomore season of further learning and experience, he can be a Heisman candidate.   But, then Heisman players should be playing Husker football so it is not to be surprising.

But, finding a way to win 11 games or more has got to be the focus.  The awards will come if the team does well.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1