That Talent Question Again

Yesterday, our much maligned defense played about as well as Ohio State's defense, and our offense was just as high-powered as the #10 team in the nation. Both teams had turnovers and penalties, and the game didn't hinge on any blown calls or perceived bias. Less comical special teams play and one receiver's more outstretched hands and Nebraska beats Ohio State in Columbus. 

I didn't get the feeling Nebraska was pulling out all the stops, playing over their heads, or just getting lucky. Ohio State didn't look really sharp, but they had two weeks to prepare, a halftime to make adjustments, and a huge motivation to stay in the playoff hunt -- including style points.

I guess what I'm saying is....maybe we're that close. It's not a major rebuild, nor is Nebraska unable to attract competitive talent, since the same personnel gave a very deep and recruit-laden Ohio State all they could handle. I think defense wins championships and we can definitely improve there, but also....one quarterback in the right system has often changed a team's fortunes single-handedly. 

As 2-7 seasons go, I'm definitely engaged. 

• Plus1 3

We are acting like 450 yards per game however many weeks in a row is something.....that's just getting warmed up for this offense. This offensive scheme under Frost is more like 530-540 yards per game. Martinez is averaging 8.1 YPA, that should be 10+.

No one should take that as me being critical of Frost or Martinez or anything like that. It's year 1. I'm just showing how far this has to go. We're excited now, but the ceiling is way higher. 

Obviously on defense and by extension special teams, the talent needs a huge infusion, especially in terms of depth. A defense like Ohio St is so much faster than we are.

• Plus1 1

The offense needs an infusion of talent and depth all over the team. Frost has done a good job of putting 2 good WR’s, 2 good RB’s, and a very good QB into his scheme and having very good offensive output this season. I look forward to a better o-line and more depth at the skill positions to enable more consistentcy in the offense.

The defense needs a big influx of talent and more work in the weight room. I don’t expect a top 20 defense with Frost’s teams, but I expect a defense who can get turnovers and timely stops to compliment Frost’s offense. 

• Plus1 1
  • You can always use more talent
  • We don't have as much talent as Ohio State or Michgan and probably never will
  • We have enough talent to be competitive with anyone on our schedule
    • We proved this yesterday when we played toe-to-toe with a Top 10 team on the road despite not really playing all that great
  • There are things that need rebuilt.  But the biggest part of the rebuild was accomplished with the hiring of a new coaching staff.
  • The next biggest part of the rebuild is between the ears and it is well underway

With another recruiting class, another off-season in the weight room and nutrition table and another spring practice and fall camp to get all the schemes completely installed, we will barely remember 2-7 next year.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:
  • You can always use more talent
  • We don't have as much talent as Ohio State or Michgan and probably never will
  • We have enough talent to be competitive with anyone on our schedule
    • We proved this yesterday when we played toe-to-toe with a Top 10 team on the road despite not really playing all that great
  • There are things that need rebuilt.  But the biggest part of the rebuild was accomplished with the hiring of a new coaching staff.
  • The next biggest part of the rebuild is between the ears and it is well underway

With another recruiting class, another off-season in the weight room and nutrition table and another spring practice and fall camp to get all the schemes completely installed, we will barely remember 2-7 next year.

Sharp and Benning were saying yesterday that NU’s current talent is like a 5 or a 6, while Michigan and Ohio State are like a 9 or 10. If Frost can get NU to an 8 in terms of overall talent, Frost’s offensive scheme can lead to easy wins for most of the schedule and allow NU to be competitive against the top teams on the schedule. 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Put Suh on the line and David somewhere opposite Barry, we're playing for championships. Special Teams has improved and most likely will get much better.

I know Suh was amazing at NU, but that ‘09 Defense was more than just him. From my memory, there was at least 6 other guys (Crick, Hagg, Prince, Dennard, Gomes, and Dillard) who spent time in the NFL from that defense. This year doesn’t have talent all over the field. 

• Plus1 5

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Suh was amazing at NU, but that ‘09 Defense was more than just him. From my memory, there was at least 6 other guys (Crick, Hagg, Prince, Dennard, Gomes, and Dillard) who spent time in the NFL from that defense. This year doesn’t have talent all over the field. 

With two guys like them in those positions I think we all would be amazed at how much better the defense is. That would take away a lot of strain.

• Haha 2

An offensive guru like frost should always be able to identify and recruit qbs and skill position guys that will allow Nebraska to out play their recruiting ranking. I'm not really concerned about whether or not Nebraska is as talented as Ohio State or Michigan because they aren't and their not in the west anyway, but whether or not they can get the guys on the offensive and defensive lines to run through the west division. 

Funny that you created this thread.  As I was re watching the game earlier I was wondering about what their average recruit was ranked who was on the field for OSU vs what our players averages were comparably. I think it's pretty easy to say that OSU probably had the better player grade yet there were the lower ranked Huskers hanging right there with them. 

#believe