That Talent Question Again

1 minute ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I think it was Rob Zatechka i heard say that their teams lined up against other teams that were far more talented than they were.  It's important to have talent, but more important to develop and play as a TEAM.  That's one thing I noticed about the 90's teams - they always just played as a team.

I’m sure NU played more “talented” teams during the 90s run, but not very often. However, the national championship teams were loaded with talent up and down the roster.  I agree that they played as a team, and were led by great coaches, but let’s not pretend like Nebraska was fielding average talent level teams. 

21 minutes ago, jaws said:

Not to be a wet blanket and I truly think that Nebraska is heading in the right direction, but this is the worse Buckeye defense since at least 2011 and this is a year of transition for the Buckeyes. 

Now continue with the the positive Husker talk. 

Oh boo hoo, your 5 star talent isn't playing up to their level yet.  I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but we're also in perpetual transition, and have been for years.

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, jaws said:

Not to be a wet blanket and I truly think that Nebraska is heading in the right direction, but this is the worse Buckeye defense since at least 2011 and this is a year of transition for the Buckeyes. 

59615258.jpg

:D

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

Of course more talented players at many positions would help , but I think Frost is getting everything he can out of the talent we have and will recruit more of the right kind of players in the future .

I think the most important thing he’s done though is instilling a different mentality to the team . Through some heartbreaking, tough luck losses , self inflicted wounds and one major beat down this team could have easily folded and lost the rest of our games but they didn’t . They  worked hard , got better and more confident every week , and kept  fighting the entire game , and I think those things will pay off big time eventually . Win loss record aside I’m as proud of this team , and as optimistic for the future as I’ve been in a long time . 

If Bosa would have been on the field, OSU may have won easily. We have a few players that are special, and those players combined with Frost's scheme makes us good. We are not deep enough to to win the BIG. We need a couple special players on the D, and we need many more good players to provide depth. After that, the BIG should just concede the championship to Nebraska every year.

7 hours ago, jaws said:

A year of transition you say. Hmm I wonder if another team on that field was/is in transition as well. 

Now continue enjoying your win before Michigan stomps you to the curb in a few weeks and Urban reveals he has been suffering from Ebola, fibromyalgia and erectile dysfunction 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, jaws said:

This maybe true but your defense has speed and that is one thing we are lacking.  

I think none (edit: very few) of us REALLY know how to evaluate talent level. At least I can't say that I can definitively tell if our guys are much less talented or not. And bad play (mental mistakes, poor positioning and technique) makes a talented player look very average. So when they are playing badly it is easy to say we have no talent, as was the chorus for the first half of the season. But really it just has taken a little more time in the system for that talent to begin to show up (see Lamar Jackson for example).

What I do know is that they may have the same speed and athleticism as Ohio St or Michigan at spots but not across the board.  What I do know is that I can spot superior talent like JK Dobbins. That guy just had a whole other level of athleticism and vision on his runs.  

I'm also not a huge recruiting nut, I follow it but don't know how the ratings work, etc. But going on class ratings Nebraska being 4th in the Big Ten and separating from the mid-tier teams but still not quite to the Ohio St/Mich/Penn St. level is a good sign.

11 hours ago, jaws said:

I've considered this, but it's still an Urban Meyer coached team (maybe one of his worst though). Regardless this Husker team would have rolled over the last 3.5 years as soon as tOSU got a lead or turnover, they did earlier this year with Michigan. Mentally they've turned a corner since that game. Showing up to a game and knowing you can win (something they lacked for sometime), along with good schemes, can make a huge difference despite talent gaps.

• Plus1 2