That Talent Question Again

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here's something interesting.

Ohio has 15 commits for 2019.  So far, only 3 are from Ohio.  1 from Michigan

Michigan has 24 commits for 2019.  3 from Michigan.  6 from Ohio

OSU only had 5 Ohio kids last year too but they have the luxery of going more national. They also get alot of New Jersey and Pennsylvania kids.

23 hours ago, Undone said:

And on that train of thought, I really like that we play Wisconsin late in the season next year. Gives this rebuild all the more time to dial things in by that point to be able to beat Wisconsin.

On paper, not winning the West next year would seriously just be sad. We basically have the most favorable schedule you can really ask for. But we have to get over the hurdle of terrible special teams, constantly giving up 3rd & longs...the list goes on and on.

We didn't give up constant third and longs on Saturday.....

I think part of the problem Dr Tom faced was the fact they ran triple option.  Most coaches probably worked that against him in recruiting.  The NFL didn't have anyone running triple option.  When they won his first NC then guys came to be part of a winner.  When Nebraska went away from that style of offense they also began not being very good.  If Frost can start winning then they will get higher rates recruits who want to play in the offense.  Can't really hold it against him in recruiting because the NFL is starting to embrace the spread 

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

They have too many disadvantages.  Mostly location.

Right.

But we can get closer, and we can close the gap with proper development and S&C.

I think you said this, but I think we can get to the same talent level in our starting lineups, just never the depth that those 2 programs have with talented dudes.

14 hours ago, HuskerMoon said:

Why would you think we never will?

If you go back and look at the recruiting classes that led up to our run under TO, you will see they were made up of recruiting classes that ranked lower than what John Cooper was bringing into Ohio State.  It's one of the reasons Cooper was fired because he couldn't win the big games even though he had more talent.  If we couldn't out recruit them then, what makes you think we ever consistently will?

2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Right.

But we can get closer, and we can close the gap with proper development and S&C.

I think you said this, but I think we can get to the same talent level in our starting lineups, just never the depth that those 2 programs have with talented dudes.

Definitely can get closer.  And then develop and coach our way from there.

I'm not really even sure we can get the same level of starters.  Ohio State has more five-stars on their roster right now than we've probably had in the history of the program.  But if we can get close on the starters, that would be great.  Then develop the back-ups enough they they out-perform their ratings.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not really even sure we can get the same level of starters.  Ohio State has more five-stars on their roster right now than we've probably had in the history of the program.  But if we can get close on the starters, that would be great.  Then develop the back-ups enough they they out-perform their ratings.

I pointed this out earlier in the thread, but I would say that NU's current talent level (on the entire roster) is about a 6, while I would put Michigan and Ohio State at a 10.  If NU can get the talent level of the entire roster to an 8 (or even a 9), I think NU can close the talent gap with scheme, development, and other things the program did well during it's peak.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

OSU only had 5 Ohio kids last year too but they have the luxery of going more national. They also get alot of New Jersey and Pennsylvania kids.

I wonder if the lack of an Ohio “soul” is part of OSU’s problem. Being an NFL training school may not instill enough school pride.

5 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I wonder if the lack of an Ohio “soul” is part of OSU’s problem. Being an NFL training school may not instill enough school pride.

If you talk to OSU fans, most complain about OSU not having enough "Ohio" guys on the team. I don't get too worried about it since I understand the talent level in Ohio isn't always the best, see this year, and the competition for the best of the best in Ohio is fierce. You have 7 D1 football schools in Ohio, Notre Dame (Cincinnati and Toledo areas), Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, West Virginia, Kentucky, Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee...etc. all trying to pull kids from Ohio to fill out their rosters. Last year the top rated Ohio recruit went to Clemson and this year it is looking like the top rated recruit from Columbus will head to Michigan. I will say the guys from all over the country that do go to OSU usually develop a pride for the university. Also, some of the hometowns list on the roster can be a little misleading. Some guys are Ohio kids that have moved away but come back to play for OSU. The lack of an Ohio "soul" is only a problem at OSU when you don't play for a NC.

58 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah you're right...But if we get 4-stars - can't we coach and develop them up to be "5 -stars"?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we have a better shot at matching depth than we do at matching starting talent caliber.

18 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Just look at the 500 mile radius surrounding Columbus compared to that of Lincoln and you will see exactly why we will never recruit on their level. We have some places to go but they have deep fields of talent in all directions.

Which is why me must develop our kids better.

• Plus1 1