That Talent Question Again

4 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I know stars aren't everything but i think in the bcs era no coach has won a national title with out having top 10-15 recruiting classes. Oregon, Washington and Michigan State got close but still lost. I think frost is as good as a coach as anyone. But is he so good that he can beat OSU and or Michigan if they have elite coaching and talent? That's asking a lot. I'm not saying its impossible but its one hell of a mountain to climb.

I wonder if Nebraska fans would be ok if frost got Nebraska to the level where they were getting to the big 10 title game but lost the majority of them? 

Nebraska fans were, for the most part, fine with Pelini for 5-6 years. If Frost does as well as Pelini and ends up actually winning a couple of them, we'll be ok with him forever, imo. Kinda like Iowa fans and Ferentz, but with a higher % of wins.

4 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I know stars aren't everything but i think in the bcs era no coach has won a national title with out having top 10-15 recruiting classes. Oregon, Washington and Michigan State got close but still lost. I think frost is as good as a coach as anyone. But is he so good that he can beat OSU and or Michigan if they have elite coaching and talent? That's asking a lot. I'm not saying its impossible but its one hell of a mountain to climb.

I wonder if Nebraska fans would be ok if frost got Nebraska to the level where they were getting to the big 10 title game but lost the majority of them? 

You're on the right track with this. The only chance we have of ever being a premiere program again (consistently) is to recruit at a top 15 level and develop it into a top 10 level. It's possible, but it's also extraordinarily difficult and we've got a lot of disadvantages over a lot of others, at least right now. 

2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Great article thanks. I remember when auburn won it a while ago with cam newton. I dont remember that being a juggernaut of a team but they had an elite guy in cam at the most important position, a stud freshman rb (dwyer?) and nick farley wrecking havoc on defense. I think this would be a good model for Nebraska to have. Maybe not like Alabama where you have future nfl dudes at every position. But being elite at a few spots can get you a long way. 

If Gene Chizik can win a title Frost has a shot.

Chizik is a clown but that Auburn team was no joke. Their recruiting class rankings the 5 years that built that team were #6, #23, #21, #9, and #11, and Chizik had Gus Malzahn as his offensive coordinator with a once in a generation quarterback. It was lightning in a bottle somehow.

While, "If Gene Chizik can win a title Frost has a shot" is a true statement, I don't want Frost's career to be anything like Chizik's :lol: