UCLA and Chip Kelly

Pedro G

Interesting that Kelly has the same record as Frost. One difference is it appears they are going backwards instead of improving when comparing them to the Corn. Yet there was a sign of improvement as they finally won two in a row after losing I believe their first five. Then came Utah and Oregon, and they both blew them out based on the scores. 

Being from the outside looking in, perhaps I am missing some things that indicate there is hope for the Bruins in year two and three? Do you see Kelly turning UCLA around, as we believe Frost will with the Corn?

Edit: UCLA outyarded Oregon 496 to 492. Perhaps that’s a good sign of what’s to come. Again, I am looking from the outside looking in, and perhaps they don’t have a QB like ours. 

• Plus1 1

Anything is possible.  He's had success before in the conference.  Per Rivals UCLA's class of 2019 is currently sitting at 66th (NU is 19th currently).  Can he recruit the talent at UCLA like he and his staff did at Oregon?  Fun fact.  Oregon's 2019 class is ranked #2 by Rivals as of today.

30 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Anything is possible.  He's had success before in the conference.  Per Rivals UCLA's class of 2019 is currently sitting at 66th (NU is 19th currently).  Can he recruit the talent at UCLA like he and his staff did at Oregon?  Fun fact.  Oregon's 2019 class is ranked #2 by Rivals as of today.

66th? Good grief. Perhaps they are low on commitment numbers versus star averages?  I have been informed before that Kelly doesn’t like to recruit. However he always recruited talent that fitted his system. So, yes, I believe he will have some Rose Bowl teams in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

66th? Good grief. Perhaps they are low on commitment numbers versus star averages?  I have been informed before that Kelly doesn’t like to recruit. However he always recruited talent that fitted his system. So, yes, I believe he will have some Rose Bowl teams in the future. 

I'm not doubting that he can get there either.  Here's an article from October 5th that does talk about their recruiting under him as well.    Their recruiting rates have climbed since this article was written. 

Uhh, what is going on with UCLA’s recruiting under Chip Kelly?

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm not doubting that he can get there either.  Here's an article from October 5th that does talk about their recruiting under him as well.    Their recruiting rates have climbed since this article was written. 

Uhh, what is going on with UCLA’s recruiting under Chip Kelly?

This article is very telling. And I agree Kelly needs to step up his recruiting. But I expect his class to look a lot better in February. Herm Edwards’ ASU 2018 class was looking pretty sad, but he closed pretty good as I recall. 

3 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

This article is very telling. And I agree Kelly needs to step up his recruiting. But I expect his class to look a lot better in February. Herm Edwards’ ASU 2018 class was looking pretty sad, but he closed pretty good as I recall. 

Yeah I would think that also.  Still plenty of time left to shape that class up.  Will be interesting to see.

• 1 year later...