2018 Blackshirts vs. 2017 Blackshirts

knapplc

Everything for me this season is based off the eye test, not as much data. 

Early in the year we getting gashed, couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down, looked a little confused at times....my eyes tell me they’re playing more cohesive, better assignments, hawking the ball more and have a bit of swagger even at times. The defense has improved. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

2016:  351 yards per game (21st)*

*Fireable Offense

2016 had a pretty weak schedule.  Here are the offensive rankings for those teams that year.  It has a LOT of bad offenses that year.

Fresno State - 120

Wyoming - 48

Oregon - 16

Northwestern - 73

Illinois - 123

Indiana - 56

Purdue - 80

Wisconsin - 89

Ohio State - 31

Minnesota - 108

Maryland - 94

Iowa - 121

Tennessee - 40

• Plus1 7
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  Obviously we can do better.

It's just been interesting to watch it play out, and watch the expectations plummet.

it's not so much plummeting expectations, it's more realizing the situation. look at one of the perceived weaker positions, a 5th year senior has had more coaches than years at nebraska. that has to have had an adverse effect. every year they have basically been coached to do things a different way. the defense as a whole was also basically recruited to play in a 4-3 and here they are playing in their second 3-4 in as many years. if most of their experience in the 3-4 was from their year with diaco then i can see that they would doubt if chin's defense would work. it has just taken longer to build trust between the staff and players in a much maligned unit.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We already have that this season lol. But I think he is saying maybe we shouldn't have fired Banker for Diaco.

firing banker for diaco should have no bearing on chinander. that was a different AD who is no longer at UNL.

• Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  Obviously we can do better.

It's just been interesting to watch it play out, and watch the expectations plummet.

I think the expectations of the improved defense were unrealistic.  I expected some improvement, and we have seen some of that, but for the most part it's the same players this year compared to last year.  The D is where NU needs the most amount of improvement in talent and depth.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the expectations of the improved defense were unrealistic.  I expected some improvement, and we have seen some of that, but for the most part it's the same players this year compared to last year.  The D is where NU needs the most amount of improvement in talent and depth.

Maybe.  But also maybe the offense improved a lot faster because Frost is a lot better.

I think on both sides we're seeing more or less what we expected from these guys.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Maybe.  But also maybe the offense improved a lot faster because Frost is a lot better.

I don't doubt that Frost is a better coach, but Frost is also an offensive-minded coach.  Almost everything he will do as NU's coach will be engineered around the offense.  Frost was also able to mix in new talent at QB and RB with the existing talent at RB and WR.  

18 minutes ago, desertshox said:

firing banker for diaco should have no bearing on chinander. that was a different AD who is no longer at UNL.

What are you saying? The post said in 2016 under Bankers coordination we were 21st in total defense. Banker was fired that offseason. He was never talking about chinander. *fireable offense simply meant Banker was fired for the job he did even though in hindsight he did pretty good in comparison to his follow up.

• Plus1 1

It's not too much to ask the new coaching staff to do better with the same people than the previous coaching staff. That's pretty much the big idea. 

I think we've seen it so far. Scheme you can control. Speed you can't. But most of all you need the change of attitude, and I'd really like to see it for the next three games.

• Plus1 2