2018 Blackshirts vs. 2017 Blackshirts

knapplc

5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't get the obsession with points per play. Three and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 80 yard TD grades the same as a single, 10 play TD drive. I greatly prefer the former. Points per possession is what matters, not points per play.

I think you mean the latter... but maybe you really enjoy 3 and outs. I'm not here to judge, to each their own! :cheers

2 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't get the obsession with points per play. Three and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, 80 yard TD grades the same as a single, 10 play TD drive. I greatly prefer the former. Points per possession is what matters, not points per play.

To some extent, I agree with you.  But I think over a large sample size those distinctions even out.  If you're going to give up a bunch of big plays, your points per play goes up (bad).  If you make the offense work for their drives, your points per play goes down (good).  And, generally speaking, if you make the offense work harder they're going to score less because of the chances for a big play for the defense (sack, turnover, etc.) or the offense to get a penalty that stops their drive.  

Of course, it might also just be as simple as number of plays faced is a pretty available statistic.  Not so much on possessions faced.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

To some extent, I agree with you.  But I think over a large sample size those distinctions even out.  If you're going to give up a bunch of big plays, your points per play goes up (bad).  If you make the offense work for their drives, your points per play goes down (good).  And, generally speaking, if you make the offense work harder they're going to score less because of the chances for a big play for the defense (sack, turnover, etc.) or the offense to get a penalty that stops their drive.  

Of course, it might also just be as simple as number of plays faced is a pretty available statistic.  Not so much on possessions faced.

Trying to think of everything that'd be necessary to derive it. What are all the ways a possession can be ended:

punt
turnover
failed 4th down conversion
end of half
end of game
touchdown
field goal
safety

anything else?

54 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Trying to think of everything that'd be necessary to derive it. What are all the ways a possession can be ended:

punt
turnover
failed 4th down conversion
end of half
end of game
touchdown
field goal
safety

anything else?

That's all I can think of right now.