Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

stewart-basketball-reaction.gif?w=600&h=

Please stop this. I have given you dozens of sources of Obama defending and supporting police officers, and also condemning violence and riots, and also encouraging communication and cooperation. You seem content to ignore them. Why don't you want to actually live in reality? Please stop doing this. Please stop lying. 

Stop ignoring the sourced and examples I provided too. Obama used identity politics pitting groups against each other for his political gain. His administration helped fuel the fires that burned in Ferguson. There are countless examples where he made the wrong choice and judgment.  He left the country more divided along racial lines than when he took over. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1254935002

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, commando said:

so you are saying white supremacists did feel welcome in obamas america?   thanks for letting me know.   

Nope...just pushing back on your excuses for the reality that Obama was a divisive figure and not the unifying figure some on here seem.to think he is. He was and still is a bitter partisan who wanted to win at all costs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Nope...just pushing back on your excuses for the reality that Obama was a divisive figure and not the unifying figure some on here seem.to think he is. He was and still is a bitter partisan who wanted to win at all costs. 

thank god trump is uniting everyone.   

White-supremecists-as-rx-01-170815.jpg

13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

He left the country more divided along racial lines than when he took over. 

Trump is on track to leave the country more polarized along party lines, racial lines, economic lines, and nationalistic lines than when he took over. But I imagine you'll be a hypocrite and blame the results of Trump's Presidency on Obama as well, or would you hold him to the same standard? 

The thing is, Trump helped perpetuate racial division during Obama's Presidency by being all gungho about the bulls#!t birther thing. Obama did not act in a divisive way - you can argue that he responded to events divisively, but he didn't cause them. Corrupt/racist police practices that Obama responded to are not the fault of Obama. White supremacists and white nationalists infiltrating corners of the Republican party and sowing seeds of racial discontent that Obama responded to are not the fault of Obama. 

Of course, unacknowledge in all of that is the fact that Obama was, in fact, a black man. If you had to take a guess, do you imagine that there are more white people who hate black people in America, or more black people who hate white people? More white people represented in government, or more black people? More history of white dominance and power in America, or more for black people? Do more white people have to change their behavior/customs to fit into black culture on a daily basis, or do more black people have to do that to fit into white culture? Which direction do you think the animosity and uncomfortableness of a new territory involving a black political leader do you think it all came from?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Lol back to pushing this white supremacist narrative. In the words of Landlord, please stop lying.

no reply to my statement that trump is helping corporate america rather than the people and that the debt he is amassing will strangle us?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is funny you said this because I have always thought that saying "relax" to someone is one of the most triggering things that you can say.  People get so pissed when they are told to "relax"

People get super offended over it.

If by "people" you mean my wife and children, that's been my experience.

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Some liberals and most progressives thought Obama was too compromising with Republicans, determined to prove he wasn't a fire-breathing ideologue. He was, in fact, a centrist. 

The Affordable Care Act was a re-hashing of an old Republican blueprint for government healthcare, approved and virtually written by the private healthcare industry. Obama honestly thought Republicans couldn't reject it, since it wasn't socialized medicine at all, but a plan they had actually approved of in the past - and Mitt Romney had successfully implemented in Massachusetts.  

Just to jog your memory, that was when Mitch McConnell openly declared that Republicans were determined to oppose whatever Obama proposed, while they tried to figure out what they actually believed in. They called for the repeal of Obamacare something like 67 times. So let's not clutch our pearls about Democrat obstructionism. 

Likewise, Obama extended the Bush tax cuts, bailed out the bankers and reassured Wall Street that any reform in the wake of the 2008 global credit crisis would remain largely toothless. It was reach-across-the-aisle politicking and compromise. His successful pursuit of terrorists, including Osama bin Laden, would have thrilled conservatives if the President wasn't a Democrat.  

Crime actually dropped during the Obama years. The anti-cop stuff didn't come from Obama, it came from a population that now had cell phones handy, capturing s#!t black people go through all the time that we just didn't know about. The difference between how blacks and whites are treated by law enforcement in this country is blatant, provable and embarrassing. Blaming the divisiveness on Black Lives Matter or Obama is straight up racist. Stop it.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Some liberals and most progressives thought Obama was too compromising with Republicans, determined to prove he wasn't a fire-breathing ideologue. He was, in fact, a centrist. 

This is what is always the weirdest damn accusation/criticism from super right people to me. Obama was divisive? Maybe by default by virtue of being black, he was divisive to people that didn't want to see a black person in the White House.

But besides that, there's no argument towards Obama being divisive. So much of the right hated him, while a very good portion of the left was frustrated that he gave those on the right more time and attention and compromise than they thought he should've. Black people thought he didn't speak candidly about race problems (real problems, not manufactured ones) nearly enough. Progressives thought Obamacare didn't go far enough. Occupy Wall Street was furious that he bailed out the banks. Liberals wanting to shake up the status quo hated how opaque and non transparent his administration was. 

Only a very far right mentality which only consumes one ideology of "news" could possibly come to the conclusion that Obama was anything other than a classic moderate, centrist Democrat. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
On 11/8/2018 at 4:17 PM, commando said:

no reply to my statement that trump is helping corporate america rather than the people and that the debt he is amassing will strangle us?

I am fully on board that both parties are at fault for continuing to amass debt, including Trump. The number one long term liability facing our country our entitelement programs like Social Security and Medicare, and now with Obamacare and the push for Medicare for all, it will only get worse. Leaders from both parties do not have the courage to tackle this reality.

15 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The number one long term liability facing our country our entitelement programs like Social Security and Medicare, and now with Obamacare and the push for Medicare for all, it will only get worse. Leaders from both parties do not have the courage to tackle this reality.

What about, maybe instead, like just 1% of our defense budget?

• Plus1 1
On 11/8/2018 at 4:12 PM, Landlord said:

Trump is on track to leave the country more polarized along party lines, racial lines, economic lines, and nationalistic lines than when he took over. But I imagine you'll be a hypocrite and blame the results of Trump's Presidency on Obama as well, or would you hold him to the same standard? 

The thing is, Trump helped perpetuate racial division during Obama's Presidency by being all gungho about the bulls#!t birther thing. Obama did not act in a divisive way - you can argue that he responded to events divisively, but he didn't cause them. Corrupt/racist police practices that Obama responded to are not the fault of Obama. White supremacists and white nationalists infiltrating corners of the Republican party and sowing seeds of racial discontent that Obama responded to are not the fault of Obama. 

Of course, unacknowledge in all of that is the fact that Obama was, in fact, a black man. If you had to take a guess, do you imagine that there are more white people who hate black people in America, or more black people who hate white people? More white people represented in government, or more black people? More history of white dominance and power in America, or more for black people? Do more white people have to change their behavior/customs to fit into black culture on a daily basis, or do more black people have to do that to fit into white culture? Which direction do you think the animosity and uncomfortableness of a new territory involving a black political leader do you think it all came from?

This is a post full of nonsense. More blacks support the GOP now than at any point in my lifetime. Black, Hispanic and Asian unemployment and wages are better now than ever.  Regarding party lines or nationalistic lines (whatever the hell that means) the country has been bitterly divided along party lines since the 1990s outside of the time period around 9/11. I think social media has hardened peoples positions as aligning with one party or another.  I actually think Trump is a realignment figure and has transformed the makeup of the parties. Trump won hundreds of counties that Obama carried twice.  As for claiming Obama did not promote division, that is utter nonsense and we have already hashed through this before. He took the wrong side on many issues such as blaming the police or NRA before facts were even available. I still recall and oregon shooting where he came out and delivered an angry speech blaming Republicans for supporting the 2nd amendment as the reason for the shooting...before family members even knew if loved ones were victims, and before knowing if the gun was purchased legally. Again its nonsense to claim he was not responsible for the growing division in the country, or to blame it on the fact that he was black and that caused the division.