Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, commando said:

the difference being we don't have millions of followers the hang on our every utterance and march according to what they are fed from those guys.   here it's less than 2 dozen people bitching about the annoying orange.   and for that we have some people here to trying to shame us for exercising that 1st amendment right.

Nobody is saying there isnt a 1st amendment right for the anti-Trump crazies on here to spew nonsense....

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

He spent the past 2 years actively campaigning against Trump and even wrote a book bashing Trump. I am not saying there can or should not be disagreements within a party, but Flake went over the top.  He is the Zell Miller of the GOP.

One of these two (Jeff Flake and Donald Trump) has been a Republican their entire career, and has espoused much more orthodox traditional conservative views. The other used to be a Democrat, and only flopped into being a Republican to hijack the party and take advantage of it's hysteria. I'll let you guess which is which.

11 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Sorry but two key questions still bring silence from you and others. Did Obama pass legislation to reduce tax rates including the corp rate? Did Obama pursue lessening regulations as Trump has...simple questions.

What do these questions matter? Less regulations and lower corporate taxes aren't the goal; a better economy is the goal. People a hundred times over in intelligence compared to you and I have fundamental disagreements and logical conclusions on the ways that this is done, so most reasonable people would say that it's possible in a number of different directions. Obama did quite a good job with his direction, which started the trend - if Trump would have kept doing the same things, the trend would have likely continued, and even though Trump has not done the same things and has reversed course on some policy approaches, the trend of a better economy is still continuing, which is good. We'll see if it lasts.

6 hours ago, Vegas said:

Sorry, I am obviously new here so feel free to put me in my place. But this has to be one of the most ridiculous questions I have ever seen on a forum. Pretty sure America survived WW1, WW2, and the Civil War. The depression, civil right movements, and corrupt politicians/presidents. So I'm pretty sure America can survive a president that God forbid is a self proclaimed Nationalist rather then a Globalist.

The main distinction between those and this is that the first list you mentioned were all external forces of power against us, and the second list you mentioned were all social issues centered around citizens, for the most part. 

Be that as it may, the things we have survived in the past do not guarantee survival of new things in the future. It's not inevitable.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Vegas said:

Sorry, I am obviously new here so feel free to put me in my place. But this has to be one of the most ridiculous questions I have ever seen on a forum. Pretty sure America survived WW1, WW2, and the Civil War. The depression, civil right movements, and corrupt politicians/presidents. So I'm pretty sure America can survive a president that God forbid is a self proclaimed Nationalist rather then a Globalist.

America "survived" the Civil Rights Movement........

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Landlord said:

One of these two (Jeff Flake and Donald Trump) has been a Republican their entire career, and has espoused much more orthodox traditional conservative views. The other used to be a Democrat, and only flopped into being a Republican to hijack the party and take advantage of it's hysteria. I'll let you guess which is which.

What do these questions matter? Less regulations and lower corporate taxes aren't the goal; a better economy is the goal. People a hundred times over in intelligence compared to you and I have fundamental disagreements and logical conclusions on the ways that this is done, so most reasonable people would say that it's possible in a number of different directions. Obama did quite a good job with his direction, which started the trend - if Trump would have kept doing the same things, the trend would have likely continued, and even though Trump has not done the same things and has reversed course on some policy approaches, the trend of a better economy is still continuing, which is good. We'll see if it lasts.

The main distinction between those and this is that the first list you mentioned were all external forces of power against us, and the second list you mentioned were all social issues centered around citizens, for the most part. 

Be that as it may, the things we have survived in the past do not guarantee survival of new things in the future. It's not inevitable.

Regarding the questions, have you heard of macroeconomic fiscal policy and cause and effect? The results of Trumps policies and actions are contributing to the economic records being set.  

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I wish you would stop using the trend line for every scenario. I already explained how the economic trends you seem to want to give Obama credit for does not work. Had Obama passed all the tax cuts that Trump did, and cut regulations that Trump did, your logic would make sense. Yet Obama added regulations qnd did not cut them. He also did not pass such tax relief including cutting the corporate rate. Please just stop with this trend crap related to the benefits generated from Trump policies.

This reply is mind boggling and it’s unbelievable that you think it makes sense. The results of economic policies are what matters when comparing the results of economic policies.

I’ll continue to use the correct analysis for as long as you continue to argue that Matt Masker scoring a single touchdown in the 4th quarter of a football game to beat Nebraska’s scoring record in a single game means that he’s far better at football than Adrian Martinez. I wish I could say you know it is a terrible argument but I no longer think that’s the case. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I have not really given this thread much thought till recently.  I'm beginning to wonder if it really will survive such a pathetic lying sack of crap in the Whitehouse.  Evidence of this is that there will be many Trumpees repeating this crap over and over and over again, now that it's come out of the fuhrer's mouth.

This pathetic human should be impeached simply because of dereliction of duty.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have not really given this thread much thought till recently.  I'm beginning to wonder if it really will survive such a pathetic lying sack of crap in the Whitehouse.  Evidence of this is that there will be many Trumpees repeating this crap over and over and over again, now that it's come out of the fuhrer's mouth.

so they are going back in a claiming to be someone other than who they are?   and the name they are claiming to be is still on the voter rolls waiting to be checked off?   what if they go in and claim to be someone who has already voted?

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This tells me he's never voted in his life

• Plus1 1

Serious question:

If Jeff Flake consistently votes the Trump/GOP agenda — determining the actual policy of the United States — but thinks Donald Trump is the wrong man to lead the Republican Party, do you honestly think he might as well be a Democrat?  

Cause that's just the kind of thinking that suggests our democracy will not survive Trump. That's a cult of personality. 

Just wanted to get us back on topic. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Serious question:

If Jeff Flake consistently votes the Trump/GOP agenda — determining the actual policy of the United States — but thinks Donald Trump is the wrong man to lead the Republican Party, do you honestly think he might as well be a Democrat?  

Cause that's just the kind of thinking that suggests our democracy will not survive Trump. That's a cult of personality. 

Just wanted to get us back on topic. 

anyone who opposes dear leader on any matter is an evil liberal.  it's science!

Going back to the thread's original question, I will say yes, the democracy will survive Trump. There's no way the entire institution collapses by the time he is removed from office. Long term though? I'm not so sure. It could die if the Republicans installed someone with these destructive tendencies who wasn't a total s#!t for brains. We need to fortify the checks and balances because they have clearly failed us.

• Plus1 3