Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Only if you support his racist or homophobic opinions.

Good distinction STP. Unless a member is implying or directly stating that being a Trump supporter means someone is racist/homophobic without exception.

16 minutes ago, commando said:

and would post suggesting how evil libs are be equally good examples?   :)

Yes, this would be a parallel issue. Something if directed at a particular member or used in the definitive. 

Let me add that I do not want to derail the current conversation in this thread, so if further discussion of board rules is desired, let's make a thread for it.

11 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Absolutely. If you find yourself or another HB member is the target of insults, feel free to bring those posts to the attention of the mod team. In fact, I was just going to post this post below as something that is insulting (though not necessary directed at any one person).

Yeah, I knew that picture didn't add anything constructive to the conversation, but i found it amusing. Sorry!

4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure there are many things worse to call someone that racist.  I take that as a very serious topic.  Calling someone angry or mean-spirited or lacking compassion (as many claim about Conservatives) is one thing...calling them racist takes it to a new level I believe.  

If someone says something that is racist, it should be called out. Donald Trump himself would have been banned from this board long ago because of the racist rhetoric he uses. And if not for that, the insults he uses. I agree that you should take it as a very serious topic. In fact, we should talk about it more. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Good distinction STP. Unless a member is implying or directly stating that being a Trump supporter means someone is racist/homophobic without exception.

Which, coincidentally, hasn't happened. Despite people perceiving it as happening.

17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure there are many things worse to call someone that racist.  I take that as a very serious topic. 

One thing that is worse than calling someone a racist is being a racist. You don't seem to take that very seriously, though. At least not when it comes to Donald Trump and his racist supporters (note: I am not calling all Trump supporters racists. I am referring to the supporters that are racists, which there are a lot of)

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

One thing that is worse than calling someone a racist is being a racist. You don't seem to take that very seriously, though. At least not when it comes to Donald Trump and his racist supporters (note: I am not calling all Trump supporters racists. I am referring to the supporters that are racists, which there are a lot of)

supporters like this 1?

18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

@HuskerNation1 I'm curious, you say that Obama implemented regulations that hirt economic growth. I think I've asked this before, bit forgive me because I don't seem to recall any response you may have had, can you point to specific regulations implemented by Obama that hinder growth?

Sorry if I missed your response.  The regulations were across the board and included financial, environmental and more.  I work for a financial company that spent tens of milions of dollars complying with new financial regulations including the DOL Fiduciary rule.  The NRLB also made it very difficult for employers to terminate employees who were underperforming and not able to do their job.  I had a couple of employees I wanted to terminate and was told that with the NRLB in place under (at the time under Obama) we needed to wait longer, have more documentation, etc... 

https://www.atr.org/nearly-4000-epa-regulations-issued-under-president-obama

https://www.forbes.com/sites/waynecrews/2016/12/30/obamas-legacy-2016-ends-with-a-record-shattering-regulatory-rulebook/#43622c181398

https://www.heritage.org/government-regulation/report/red-tape-rising-2016-obama-regs-top-100-billion-annually

20 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I do take it seriously and do not agree with the persistent slandering of calling Trump a racist.  I provided several counterpoints to these accusations before.  Continuing to refer to him as a racist is the first sign of trying to end debate on what could be any sort of topic, and promotes further divisions in this forum.

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Sorry if I missed your response.  The regulations were across the board and included financial, environmental and more.  I work for a financial company that spent tens of milions of dollars complying with new financial regulations including the DOL Fiduciary rule.  The NRLB also made it very difficult for employers to terminate employees who were underperforming and not able to do their job.  I had a couple of employees I wanted to terminate and was told that with the NRLB in place under (at the time under Obama) we needed to wait longer, have more documentation, etc... 

https://www.atr.org/nearly-4000-epa-regulations-issued-under-president-obama

https://www.forbes.com/sites/waynecrews/2016/12/30/obamas-legacy-2016-ends-with-a-record-shattering-regulatory-rulebook/#43622c181398

https://www.heritage.org/government-regulation/report/red-tape-rising-2016-obama-regs-top-100-billion-annually

Those last 2 links are from 2016, I thought Obama hindered growth his entire presidency? Again which regulations hinder growth, because I'm sure you can agree that regulations are necessary to protect the environment and citizens/consumers. So if you're going to claim that some of them are harmeful to growth I would think you could point to specific ones.

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Those last 2 links are from 2016, I thought Obama hindered growth his entire presidency? Again which regulations hinder growth, because I'm sure you can agree that regulations are necessary to protect the environment and citizens/consumers. So if you're going to claim that some of them are harmeful to growth I would think you could point to specific ones.

No it picked up in 2010 and continued until 2016.  You can easily find multiple sources discussing the growth in regulations under Obama, and the cost of those regulations on businesses.  Here is another with a nice graph year by year.

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

No it picked up in 2010 and continued until 2016.  You can easily find multiple sources discussing the growth in regulations under Obama, and the cost of those regulations on businesses.  Here is another with a nice graph year by year.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/heritage-foundation/

Another right wing piece written by a guy that basically only writes about favoring less regulation.  

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I do take it seriously and do not agree with the persistent slandering of calling Trump a racist.  I provided several counterpoints to these accusations before.  Continuing to refer to him as a racist is the first sign of trying to end debate on what could be any sort of topic, and promotes further divisions in this forum.

Exactly. You never actually engaged with the number of documented instances of Trump's racism, you just rebutted with, "no way here's links of people saying he's not a racist"

On one side, there's a bunch of evidence for a positive accusation. On the other, there's a bunch of hearsay for the denial of an accusation. You've never actually engaged with the evidence, you've just responded to it with outsourced denials so you can keep denying.

If Bill Cosby was free would you let him hang out alone with your wife/sister/female relatives, even if he and others around him say that he is a not rapist? Or would you look at the evidence from the past and not give him the benefit of the doubt without real evidence that he has changed? You give Trump the benefit of the doubt, based on....you just want to.

• Plus1 1