Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Vegas said:

Well I try to be cordial and open minded but from what I have seen from this forum is a ratio of 10:1 Liberal/Conservative. That would drive me crazy too having to fight off all you nut jobs lol. So cheers to Ric because it sounds like you're my only ally here. 

It's interesting that you see liberal vs conservative as a fight and needing allies. Why is sticking tightly to an ideology so important? Can we not just discuss the issues regardless of ideology? I don't care if an issue, idea, etc. is liberal or conservative or whatever - judge it on it's merits.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

It's interesting that you see liberal vs conservative as a fight and needing allies. Why is sticking tightly to an ideology so important? Can we not just discuss the issues regardless of ideology? I don't care if an issue, idea, etc. is liberal or conservative or whatever - judge it on it's merits.

It gets reinforced when people start being rude and condescending only because they realize that someone is liberal or conservative. Which goes to everyone in here. Vegas' first three posts revealed their conservative perspective but weren't rude, didn't engage in any ad hominems or logical fallacies, and were pretty cordial and opened up opportunities for conversation. Instead, as soon as people noticed the conservative slant, they started trying to twist the posts into the worst possible interpretation. Immediately.

Vegas, the "Obama keeps abusing his power with executive orders" narrative is a myth that the rise of Fox News and insulated conservative media concocted. Same as the "Obama goes on too many vacations" thing and many others. The data has shown quite clearly that he, if anything, averaged far less useage of EO's than most presidents, including Republican ones. 

As far as the threat to democracy under Trump, yes it is true that our system is built with checks and balances. But our system is also built to be very slow and patient and methodical in dealing with things that need to be changed/fixed. In the meantime, Trump is appointing what amounts to little less than cronies and yes men into key positions of power that are supposed to hold him in check, while half of Congress is just going along with almost any single thing he does solely because he's on their team, and too often at the expense of what's right and/or decent and/or sensible.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Vegas said:

Well I try to be cordial and open minded but from what I have seen from this forum is a ratio of 10:1 Liberal/Conservative. That would drive me crazy too having to fight off all you nut jobs lol. So cheers to Ric because it sounds like you're my only ally here. 

You're confusing conservative=pro-Trump....or.....liberal =anti-Trump.

• Plus1 1

I think we're in uncharted waters at the moment. Trump is running the country like a business -- a business he owns -- because that's where he comes from. He clearly resents or doesn't understand basic American civics and its system of checks and balances. Whether his childish attempts to get his way are comical or truly dangerous at the moment --- I really can't tell. There were certainly erosions in our representational democracy long before Trump. And most of the legislation I'm inclined to fight come from the GOP playbook, and would have been pushed through by President Rubio, too.

The scary part is going on behind the scenes. Donald Trump essentially declared war on his own intelligence apparatus for supporting the theory of Russian intervention on Trump's behalf in 2016. The new President stages a profoundly disrespectful scene at CIA headquarters his second day in office, refuses to read his intelligence briefings, blabs classified information to foreign heads of state, shows little regard for facts in general, prefers saber rattling on Twitter to strategic communication, and you know....just does the whole drunk uncle, loose cannon thing.

So I think you have a group of adults throughout our intelligence community, who have non-partisan discussions with their colleagues in government, and they are constantly trying to decide if the President of the United States is a security danger to the United States, and what -- if anything -- they should do about it.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, Vegas said:

Oh I've been the lone liberal on a few conservative Facebook exchanges and yeah, that gets tiring. When a likeminded voice pops in, it is a relief. 

Gotta admit I never expected that ratio on a Nebraska Football fansite, but if you look at the actual political affiliations here and the variety of concerns, it's a pretty thoughtful group with well-supported opinions. 

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Oh I've been the lone liberal on a few conservative Facebook exchanges and yeah, that gets tiring. When a likeminded voice pops in, it is a relief. 

Gotta admit I never expected that ratio on a Nebraska Football fansite, but if you look at the actual political affiliations here and the variety of concerns, it's a pretty thoughtful group with well-supported opinions. 

I was frightened to click on this board, I figured it would be a forum built on fear of the boogeyman taking everyone's guns. Pleasantly surprised with the discourse. And yes it seems to lean left, but everyone here is well spoken and will hear you out if you have a bone to pick.

• Plus1 1
On 11/15/2018 at 2:17 PM, ZRod said:

I'll read the link later, but heritage foundation is far from credible. Again, in your own words and opinion which regulations are causing the issue. Quantity does not equal quality, or the lack there of. Surely if you think regulations hurt the economy you can site specific ones that were damaging or ill-advised. If you can't then I think you should probably have a serious reevaluation of your position.

Have you read the link?  As for specific regs impacting businesses appetite to grown and expand, there are a multitude including environmental emissions that slowed down coal and other plants, there have been new worker policies from the NLRB that affected a host of things including overtime pay and which made it more difficult to terminate someone for under-performance for fear of being sued, there was the DOL Fiduciary rule required several financial institutions to make changes to their systems to comply with the policy, and a lack of compliance would result in fees for companies.  My employer spent tens of millions to prepare for the enactment of this rule.  I could go on and on.  I am not saying all regulations are bad, but there definitely was a noticeable increase in regs under Obama that discouraged businesses from growing.  As a side note, my parents are small business owners and were looking to open a third location for their business, but due to the Obamacare fees for small businesses with more than 50 employees, they elected not to open a third store.  That was legislation and not necessarily a regulation, but just another example of why businesses were not growing at the pace they are now.