Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You said his words were empty and so are his compliments.  If you are arguing you cant take him at his word for a compliment then you cant take him at his word when he is critical of others either. 

Stop bashing Obama...this thread is only focused making Trump look bad. :)

look at who you are talking to....i didn't say what you are thinking i said.  i know it's tough for you to check your facts but please do in this case.   

4 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well if Trump were the racist partisan that you and others claim, how could he ever offer such praise to a Black Democrat?  

idk if you've ever picked up on this but sometimes politicians say things they don't mean!

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

anything Trump has said since becoming a candidate for POTUS should not be used as fodder on here for those that oppose Trump?

ok let's run a thought experiment where everything Trump says is a lie.

the first thing that Trump says in our hypothetical scenario is, "I love the Democrats. I wish them well" Okay, it's a lie. Does that lie hurt anyone? Does it fuel discord and discontent and embolden nasty people? Nah, seems pretty empty and harmless and something easy to not devote any energy towards.

the second thing that Trump says in our hypothetical scenario is, "We should kill all Muslims to keep ourselves safe" Okay, we know it's a lie and he doesn't actually truly mean that. But does that lie hurt anyone? Yeah, some Muslims would end up dead. Does it fuel discord and discontent and embolden nasty people? Yes, it would obviously give at least some people the license to act on their worst impulses. 

Both statements are empty, but one needs to be taken seriously. Whether or not the things Trump says are empty isn't what determines whether or not they matter. When he gives an empty compliment to an opponent that he just spent weeks insulting, the sensible conclusion is, "Oh, he's being a politician putting up a good front". When he denigrates people of color or people from specific countries or of specific cultures, the sensible conclusion is, "Whether or not he believes this s#!t doesn't matter, he's obviously utilizing a deep seated resentment and hatred in a lot of Americans for his own popularity and this could turn very ugly for those minority people."

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Landlord said:

idk if you've ever picked up on this but sometimes politicians say things they don't mean!

ok let's run a thought experiment where everything Trump says is a lie.

the first thing that Trump says in our hypothetical scenario is, "I love the Democrats. I wish them well" Okay, it's a lie. Does that lie hurt anyone? Does it fuel discord and discontent and embolden nasty people? Nah, seems pretty empty and harmless and something easy to not devote any energy towards.

the second thing that Trump says in our hypothetical scenario is, "We should kill all Muslims to keep ourselves safe" Okay, we know it's a lie and he doesn't actually truly mean that. But does that lie hurt anyone? Yeah, some Muslims would end up dead. Does it fuel discord and discontent and embolden nasty people? Yes, it would obviously give at least some people the license to act on their worst impulses. 

Both statements are empty, but one needs to be taken seriously. Whether or not the things Trump says are empty isn't what determines whether or not they matter. When he gives an empty compliment to an opponent that he just spent weeks insulting, the sensible conclusion is, "Oh, he's being a politician putting up a good front". When he denigrates people of color or people from specific countries or of specific cultures, the sensible conclusion is, "Whether or not he believes this s#!t doesn't matter, he's obviously utilizing a deep seated resentment and hatred in a lot of Americans for his own popularity and this could turn very ugly for those minority people."

Do politicians say things they don't mean....sure.  We saw a lot of this from Obama where he campaigned in 2008 on being a unifying figure and instead used racial divisions to divide this nation, pitting groups against each other.  The Democratic party has used these tactics for years and often to their electoral success.  They have also tried to portray Trump as a racist, but fortunately he is a fighter and is not willing to stand for their tactics.  That is why the Left has amped up their rhetoric and violence because for the first time they are being challenged and their political opponent is not backing down.  

As for your experiment, I think its probably true that many anti-Trumpers on here believe everything he says is a lie which is unfortunate. Regarding the impacts of Trump's statements or any politician, they all tap into anger and resentment.  Just look at the Left's attempt to claim Trump and Republicans hate women since they supported Kavanaugh, or the many attempts to paint Trump as a racist.  The impact of Dem politicians rhetoric in these examples led to the violent mob scenes we witnessed in the month of October.  

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Do politicians say things they don't mean....sure.  We saw a lot of this from Obama where he campaigned in 2008 on being a unifying figure and instead used racial divisions to divide this nation, pitting groups against each other.  The Democratic party has used these tactics for years and often to their electoral success.  They have also tried to portray Trump as a racist, but fortunately he is a fighter and is not willing to stand for their tactics.  That is why the Left has amped up their rhetoric and violence because for the first time they are being challenged and their political opponent is not backing down.  

As for your experiment, I think its probably true that many anti-Trumpers on here believe everything he says is a lie which is unfortunate. Regarding the impacts of Trump's statements or any politician, they all tap into anger and resentment.  Just look at the Left's attempt to claim Trump and Republicans hate women since they supported Kavanaugh, or the many attempts to paint Trump as a racist.  The impact of Dem politicians rhetoric in these examples led to the violent mob scenes we witnessed in the month of October.  

Do you believe Obama was given a chance to be unifying a d collaborative from the start of his term?

Do you deny that Donald Trump was literally sued for racial discrimination?

• Plus1 1

Why do you guys even try. There is no attempt at honest discourse here. These questions will not be answered.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

What violent mob scenes?

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Do you believe Obama was given a chance to be unifying a d collaborative from the start of his term?

Do you deny that Donald Trump was literally sued for racial discrimination?

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why do you guys even try. There is no attempt at honest discourse here. These questions will not be answered.

I often ask the same thing to you and others as well, and yet we all keep wasting our time. It's like playing a stupid mobile game that you can't ever win. 

23 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

There are many on the right that prefer to remain silent.  Look at the silent Trump vote from 2016.  I do imagine if you ran a poll of every member on this forum and they all responded you would see more leaning to the right than left.  

I just hope we didn't chase them all away with our cogent observations, requests for clarification, and supporting links. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1