Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are still enough checks and balances in place to keep Trump from totally running wild with his agenda, so i think well survive him just fine. The bigger problem to me is the unfortunately large amount of people who support him. If we get to the point where the majority blindly follow and support people like Trump we are screwed. I don't think we are to that point though, and i think people will turn out in droves to get rid of this guy in 2020.  

If we could survive the divisive Obama years where the racial divide grew with his anti cop BLM rhetoric we will survive the Trump years too. 

The bigger question is will we survive the Resist movement that involves Resisting Trump at all costs and turning a blind eye to policies to help out the American people.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

There are still enough checks and balances in place to keep Trump from totally running wild with his agenda, so i think well survive him just fine. The bigger problem to me is the unfortunately large amount of people who support him. If we get to the point where the majority blindly follow and support people like Trump we are screwed. I don't think we are to that point though, and i think people will turn out in droves to get rid of this guy in 2020.  

fox news (or more accurately...fox opinion shows, not their real news with shep and others) and rush are doing their best to convince americans that everyone who disagrees with trump on any matter is an angry violent liberal who hates america......AND ITS WORKING!

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If we could survive the divisive Obama years where the racial divide grew with his anti cop BLM rhetoric we will survive the Trump years too. 

The bigger question is will we survive the Resist movement that involves Resisting Trump at all costs and turning a blind eye to policies to help out the  American people.

yes....angry white supremacist certainly didn't feel welcome in obamas america.  so you are right about the growing racial divide.  and trump is helping corporations much more than he is helping the american people.   when his massive debt comes crashing in on us we will be hurting

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

You have no idea how relaxed or otherwise I am, nor whether my state of relaxation or non relaxation is called for. Your comment was patronizing. I haven’t even answered the poll yet. It’s possible to make a post just to get a conversation going. I think democracy here is in danger over the long term due in part to Trump although it did not start with him.

This isn’t a “knee jerk” thread. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Actually, I’ve been wondering about our democracy’s long-term survival since before Trump for other reasons. But he has shown so far that our checks and balances seem to be really weak and we’re setting really dangerous precedents for future leader(s). If you want to think it’s not a big deal that’s fine.

A big problem in our country now is people think we are invulnerable from the possibility of the subject of this topic happening. That is part of why many Republicans are willing to overlook what Trump is doing. They don’t think it’sa big deal and think it can’t get to the point I’m talking to, but things don’t collapse in an instant, they erode over time.

My comment is my observation and I stand by it despite however you interpret it. You created a "The sky is falling" type thread about Trump. I see that as a little over dramatic. There are checks and balances built intonour government. There is an ongoing investigation, and there are next steps and processes that we haven't even gotten to yet. We'll be fine.

Has Trump exposed some serious issue with our system? Hell yes! But it's nothing some small changes can't fix. If we can sit down and have an honest discussion as a nation, demanding our leaders learn from these lessons and make legislative changes we'll be just fine. Even without those changes we'll be ok. What we can not survive is the type of rhetoric that comes from our three amigos in P&R, and the blind loyalty that results.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

stewart-basketball-reaction.gif?w=600&h=

Please stop this. I have given you dozens of sources of Obama defending and supporting police officers, and also condemning violence and riots, and also encouraging communication and cooperation. You seem content to ignore them. Why don't you want to actually live in reality? Please stop doing this. Please stop lying. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3

You have no idea how relaxed or otherwise I am, nor whether my state of relaxation or non relaxation is called for. Your comment was patronizing. I haven’t even answered the poll yet. It’s possible to make a post just to get a conversation going. I think democracy here is in danger over the long term due in part to Trump although it did not start with him.

This isn’t a “knee jerk” thread. It’s something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Actually, I’ve been wondering about our democracy’s long-term survival since before Trump for other reasons. But he has shown so far that our checks and balances seem to be really weak and we’re setting really dangerous precedents for future leader(s). If you want to think it’s not a big deal that’s fine.

A big problem in our country now is people think we are invulnerable from the possibility of the subject of this topic happening. That is part of why many Republicans are willing to overlook what Trump is doing. They don’t think it’sa big deal and think it can’t get to the point I’m talking to, but things don’t collapse in an instant, they erode over time.

It is funny you said this because I have always thought that saying "relax" to someone is one of the most triggering things that you can say.  People get so pissed when they are told to "relax"

People get super offended over it.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

It is funny you said this because I have always thought that saying "relax" to someone is one of the most triggering things that you can say.  People get so pissed when they are told to "relax"

People get super offended over it.

shut up you

• Haha 1

I think democracy here is in danger over the long term due in part to Trump although it did not start with him.

Actually I think you may have a good point. I might be inclined to change my original answer. Not necessarily that Trump is responsible per se, but yes he would be contributing to what could be considered the inevitable demise. Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t we have the longest running democracy and isn’t it widely thought this form of government is not sustainable forever?

• Plus1 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

isn’t it widely thought this form of government is not sustainable forever? 

I'm not sure about the first question in this sentence, but this part I know is correct.

One of the greatest democracies of all time, the Roman Republic, fell into a dictatorship after 400 years of rule by the people.  And Rome still prospered for a few hundred years after that.

Funny thing about the end of the Republic. There were a group of very conservative legislators, the Optimates or "good men," who staunchly refused to allow changes to Roman society. By ~100 BC the entire Italian peninsula was basically Roman, but people outside Rome and the traditional territories were mostly shut out of the citizenship, which made them just above slaves in the eyes of true Romans. They chafed at it, and fought a couple of wars (which Rome won, but at great cost) over the citizenship.  Politics were pretty chaotic at this time, and into that chaos stepped the Optimates, and they were a strong voting bloc that prevented reform.  And that reform was needed, badly. 

During this chaos Rome fought more than a dozen wars, some civil wars where the Republic was essentially overthrown (Sulla & Marius) and some external wars (the Galic Wars & the Servile Wars, among many others) which Rome won.  Through all the chaos the Optimates solidified power, until they were basically entrenched, able to enrich themselves, purge their political opponents, and basically suffer zero consequences.

Into that chaos stepped a historically amazing figure, a genius, and a brilliant general, politician and lawyer.  Julius Caesar took on the Optimates, and through his brilliance and charisma he overthrew the Roman state. 

We're in a reasonably analogous period to that portion of the Roman Republic right now.  We see that people really aren't that beholden to Democracy, and that they're willing to follow a strong leader - and let that leader trample on our democracy if it suits them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
47 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's true though! The best way to get yelled at by a GF is to tell her to relax or calm down. I should have thought about that lol. My B.

Still nott he end of our country though.

I said it once in a meeting...good lord you would have thought I killed someone.

2 hours ago, commando said:

yes....angry white supremacist certainly didn't feel welcome in obamas america.  so you are right about the growing racial divide.  and trump is helping corporations much more than he is helping the american people.   when his massive debt comes crashing in on us we will be hurting

Lol back to pushing this white supremacist narrative. In the words of Landlord, please stop lying.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1