*** 2018 Game 10 "Expert" Picks: Illinois At Nebraska ***

Saunders

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Agree - i see it as an offensive shootout (want to be wrong).  I think Calvin Jones w/7point win is about how it will end up, but maybe with one more score each.  These are the types of games we have to learn to win.

The spread is way too big in this game considering how well they run the ball and how relatively poorly we stop the run. That alone likely keeps it closer than expected.

24 minutes ago, brophog said:

The spread is way too big in this game considering how well they run the ball and how relatively poorly we stop the run. That alone likely keeps it closer than expected.

I would hope they force AJ to win by throwing the ball and that Illinois is forced to play from behind.  I see the D getting a couple timely turnovers, so I will say 56-35.  Still give up some rushing yards, but NU covers because of how many points the O scores.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I would hope they force AJ to win by throwing the ball and that Illinois is forced to play from behind.  I see the D getting a couple timely turnovers, so I will say 56-35.  Still give up some rushing yards, but NU covers because of how many points the O scores.

Bush is not as poor of a passer as his rep gets. He's not a guy that's particularly accurate throwing into tight windows but because of their running game and all of the RPO principles he doesn't often need to be. His biggest problem is he doesn't always make great reads and can be mistake prone. Throws a decent ball, though, if given time. He just needs a very clean pocket to set his feet and throw. Good outside pass rushers have given them problems.

Minnesota very oddly kept 2 safeties deep much of the game. Illinois often utilizes 2 backs, with Bush as a third runner. That's 8 guys running at 6 or 7 man boxes. What Nebraska needs to do is crowd the hell out of the LOS, similar to the Colorado game. It'll give up a big play here and there if a Safety misses a tackle, but it applies a lot of pressure to a QB (and offensive line) that's mistake prone. This is a game where Chins needs to shine. He can get very creative with his pressures and this line misses way too many blocks. Their passing game is not sophisticated at all and Bush is basically a one read and run QB. Make them think.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, brophog said:

Bush is not as poor of a passer as his rep gets. He's not a guy that's particularly accurate throwing into tight windows but because of their running game and all of the RPO principles he doesn't often need to be. His biggest problem is he doesn't always make great reads and can be mistake prone. Throws a decent ball, though, if given time. He just needs a very clean pocket to set his feet and throw. Good outside pass rushers have given them problems.

Minnesota very oddly kept 2 safeties deep much of the game. Illinois often utilizes 2 backs, with Bush as a third runner. That's 8 guys running at 6 or 7 man boxes. What Nebraska needs to do is crowd the hell out of the LOS, similar to the Colorado game. It'll give up a big play here and there if a Safety misses a tackle, but it applies a lot of pressure to a QB (and offensive line) that's mistake prone. This is a game where Chins needs to shine. He can get very creative with his pressures and this line misses way too many blocks. Their passing game is not sophisticated at all and Bush is basically a one read and run QB. Make them think.

He's Tommy Armstrong with a weaker deep ball and no Jordan Westerkamp.