What did we learn: Illinois

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

No we wouldn’t 

I disagree.  We could give Bama a heck of a game provided only that we were allowed to play 18 guys on defense instead of 11.   Our defense remains a bottom third of the c***ry level unit and is just not good enough to play with the Tide.  Offensively we could probably score around 24 or so but I am afraid our defense could not get off the field and Bama would own us in time of possession, etc.   Probably be around 38 to 17 if we played our very best and they didn't.  A long way to go before NU is top ten quality team.   Offense is still a little hit and miss and needs more from our skill guys and lots of improvement in terms of power, dominance, consistancy from our O line.   

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

I learned that we will never be championship caliber ANYTHING until we have a defense that can just be at least average.

Good win, but GOD can we stop anyone's offense?

I think it ok to just breathe about this.  The focus of Frost's first class was offense, especially quarterback.

They are absolutely looking for defensive difference makers in this next class.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We needed the ball to bounce our way to hang with Illinois. 

Fun offense, absolutely, but maybe we should pump the brakes a bit. 

Well, I don’t quite agree with you, either. I don’t like it when fans don’t want to give credit to their team. That’s part of the game, and we capitalized. We’re good enough to do that now. 4-5 weeks ago we weren’t.

Not aiming this at you in particular but speaking in general - It seems like a lot of fans say Nebraska deserved to lose if they turned it over a bunch and lost, then they say Nebraska deserved to lose when the other team turned it over a bunch and we won. It shouldn’t work both ways.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Good win for our boys. The O is looking better and better. I think the wind affected some AMart throws. 

The D looked pretty bad both up the middle and sideline speed. There were a few plays, with athletes, we run them out of bounds for a 2 yard gain. Instead they turn and run up the field. We looked very slow. 

We need rangy, fast athletes and some 15% body fat beasts in the middle on both sides. 

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Don’t get me wrong.  The Husker offense is pretty dynamic right now.  We are just not there yet for Alabama.

I have some fanboys on here that eye roll pretty much everything I post.  It’s quite flattering.

You’ve annoyed me plenty, no offense, but I think a good rule is to judge a post for its content. Although that can be impossible sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Well, I don’t quite agree with you, either. I don’t like it when fans don’t want to give credit to their team. That’s part of the game, and we capitalized. We’re good enough to do that now. 4-5 weeks ago we weren’t.

Not aiming this at you in particular but speaking in general - It seems like a lot of fans say Nebraska deserved to lose if they turned it over a bunch and lost, then they say Nebraska deserved to lose when the other team turned it over a bunch and we won. It shouldn’t work both ways.

The only part I'm not crediting the team is the part where they're ready to hang with Alabama. 

They deserved to win, but they don't deserve those expectations yet. Tapping the brakes isn't a bad thing, Moiraine. 

I learned that the offensive line has actually IMPROVED. I didn't think it was possible, all the criticism I have given them over the last 5 years and they are delightfully proving me that they are getting better. Awesome work by that unit.

Special Teams also improved this week.

The whole program is looking up. 

Should have beaten NW, got out beat by Purdue, but looking at the currently B1G standings, NW and Purdue are at the top of the B1G West. Very possible Nebraska ends up with 4 wins in conference, matching Wisconsin's conference record and only being behind Purdue and Northwestern. Two teams that are a top the division.

5-7 is a real possibility and that would be enormous momentum heading into the off season. Even 4-8 with how this season started would be way better than last years 4-8.

Frost showing what his offense can do.

Defense created some turnovers, but need to do better overall.

These are things I learned, and other things I just felt like typing because although this was just Illinois, Nebraska has a chance to close out this season on a really high note.

8 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I think the wind affected some AMart throws. 

I really don't. Didn't get his feet underneath him today. Still has a habit of throwing from that back foot, which is what causes him to throw high.

Nothing that won't get corrected in the offseason.

Just now, brophog said:

I really don't. Didn't get his feet underneath him today. Still has a habit of throwing from that back foot, which is what causes him to throw high.

Nothing that won't get corrected in the offseason.

Maybe I don't notice that given how blatantly obvious it was when Taylor Martinez and Armstrong threw.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The only part I'm not crediting the team is the part where they're ready to hang with Alabama. 

They deserved to win, but they don't deserve those expectations yet. Tapping the brakes isn't a bad thing, Moiraine. 

My guess would be that post was meant with more than a pinch of humor.