What did we learn: Illinois

1.  Our offense is as advertised and should continue putting a lot of points on the board.  We have played a variety of BIG Defenses and done well against them (except Michigan and I attribute part of that to being the first road game with a young team and a good competitor).  

2.  The defense is still not good.  I think some adjustments were made in the 2nd half, but Illinois made so many miscues to prevent this game from being closer, including their dropped passes and turnovers.  Frost needs to re-examine the defensive approach in the offseason.

3.  Special teams improved but Pickering is still not a reliable kicker.  I am not sure I would keep a scholarship reserved for him. 

4.  This team is played well enough it could do some damage in a bowl game.  This is where the tight losses to Colorado, Troy and NW will come back to bite.

5.  The BIG West is going to be wide open in the coming years.  Nebraska, Illinois and Purdue all have dynamic offenses that are going to keep Wisconsin and Iowa on their toes.

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The defense is still not good.  I think some adjustments were made in the 2nd half, but Illinois made so many miscues to prevent this game from being closer, including their dropped passes and turnovers.  Frost needs to re-examine the defensive approach in the offseason.

And/or put some focused recruiting on that side of the ball like he did on offense for his first class.

• Fire 1
Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Frost needs to re-examine the defensive approach in the offseason.

He needs players, our LBs are terrible right now.  I am giving the defense another year to take a leap forward.

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

5.  The BIG West is going to be wide open in the coming years.  Nebraska, Illinois and Purdue all have dynamic offenses that are going to keep Wisconsin and Iowa on their toes.

Spot on here. I think Brohm will leave and Purdue will fall back.  I think Wisconsin's streak of being at the top is over, their D is no longer elite.  If Nebraska gets a bit better on D they should rule the West in the coming years.

14 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He needs players, our LBs are terrible right now.  I am giving the defense another year to take a leap forward.

He does need players, but there are schematic issues, too. Can't have safeties on the goalline like at Michigan or defend a running QB like Bush with 5 man boxes. There have been times this year where he has had to do things because of personnel issues but there are others where he's not giving guys the best opportunity to succeed. 

He's a smart guy, though, and both he and Frost know this isn't good enough.

Our offense is going to be deadly-Just need to continue to recruit well and continue to develop.

Frost has impressed as he continues to evolve as a play caller. Has learned to eat clock when needed. (Although I questioned the 5 straight incomplete passes prior to TD by Stoll)

POY to Oz.  He has silently plodded away day in and day out.  Finally has gotten his chance to step into the light.  And he has shined bright.

Morgan/Spielman-Great again

OL-Is improving.  Still struggles at times, bit outside of Bama and Clemson, who doesn't.

The D- Watching today with a "more critical eye".  We are lacking in talent, BUT many times guys were in position, but missed plays.  Hold your gap, set the edge, keep the RB/WR to your inside shoulder.  Break down to tackle.  Don't bite on the PA, the head bob, the fake, misdirection etc....Players do, but our entire D seems to..............That's not scheme.  That's players.  As it relates to talent.  3 of our LB commits are 3 of the 18 finalists for the HS Butkus award....That's talent.  Several lack the "nose for the ball" (talent/instinct).  We need an above average edge rusher (talent).  We need a dominant NT (talent and S&C).  We are recruiting towards a better D.  Reality is points don't matter, but final D rankings do.  Statistically, the NC's are top 20.  Usually top 10.....

To add, Honas back next year.  Dixon another year.  Bootle, JoJO, Cam, Miller etc will all be much improved next year as well...

The brutal and raw honesty and emotion are so welcomed.  From the honest coach speak, the hugging players on the side, the we need talent etc......

Day by day........

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, brophog said:

I really don't. Didn't get his feet underneath him today. Still has a habit of throwing from that back foot, which is what causes him to throw high.

Nothing that won't get corrected in the offseason.

And he still completed 70% of his throws. 

• Plus1 1

Defensive approach is fine, we just need athletes to fill certain positions. With this offense, the idea will be to bend and not break, and get turnovers to put the ball back in the offense's hands. Talent needs to be improved at NT, OLB, CB and Safety; in other terms: upgrades are needed at a ton of positions. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1