What did we learn: Illinois

I think we learned (and will continue to learn) that your lock down, Blackshirt defense isn't coming back under this staff. The game you saw today (54-35) is going to be  a common theme over the next 5-8 years, or longer. This offense is going to score in bunches, and the defense is going to see a lot of snaps on a regular basis. It's likely, that the best we can hope for is an opportunistic defense that may give up some points, but 2-3 times a game will give our offense the ball in a good spot.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think we learned (and will continue to learn) that your lock down, Blackshirt defense isn't coming back under this staff.

When did the "lock down, Blackshirt" defense come?  Because "more than a few" we're ready to run Charlie McBride out of town once upon a time.

Chinander has coached less than one full season at Nebraska as of today.

Please enlighten us......

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think we learned (and will continue to learn) that your lock down, Blackshirt defense isn't coming back under this staff. The game you saw today (54-35) is going to be  a common theme over the next 5-8 years, or longer. This offense is going to score in bunches, and the defense is going to see a lot of snaps on a regular basis. It's likely, that the best we can hope for is an opportunistic defense that may give up some points, but 2-3 times a game will give our offense the ball in a good spot.

That is actually a pretty good analysis. If you are waiting for Michigan’s defense it is not going to happen, it will get better though. 

One more  thing give Illinois some credit they have actually moved the ball and scored on most teams this year, they just can’t stop anyone.  The RB that got hurt is a 1000 yard guy. He has ran all over teams this year: It is not like Illinois is scoring 10 against other teams. They are averaging in the mid 20’s

Just now, TheSker said:

When did the "lock down, Blackshirt" defense come.  Because "more than a few" we're ready to run Charlie McBride out of town once upon a time.

Chinander has coached less than one full season at Nebraska as of today.

Please enlighten us......

Do I really have to list all the seasons that Nebraska has had a great defense for you?

It's less of an indictment on Chinander, and more of one on the style of offense he's paired with.... I think it will get better, but still expect to see a lot of games with similar scores.

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

And half of the rest specifically address areas of need.....OLB, DT.

I don't think it's a news flash that highly rated offensive players want to play for Scott Frost.

We're good.

Agree.  The staff sees the need and is addressing it.  This offense will start to recruit itself for sure.....Defensively, I think kids will want to come here to have the possibility to play immediately.  We still have a roster of true fresh who are still learning, still in the S&C and are still freshman.....

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's less of an indictment on Chinander, and more of one on the style of offense he's paired with.... I think it will get better, but still expect to see a lot of games with similar scores.

Rule changes have made this the norm.

Nebraska will be just fine under Frost/Chinander.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agree.  The staff sees the need and is addressing it.  This offense will start to recruit itself for sure.....Defensively, I think kids will want to come here to have the possibility to play immediately.  We still have a roster of true fresh who are still learning, still in the S&C and are still freshman.....

I really liked what Chinander said that he told recruits in the recruiting process, something along the lines of "Come play here, you're going to see more snaps than you would elsewhere".

19 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Frost even said in the presser after the game, we are never going to have a defense that holds the other team to 3 given the nature of this offense when things are humming. The latter part of your statement is the philosophy the staff has been preaching since day 1. We are now finally seeing turnovers.  I think this defense will be a lot better when we get a legit NT, some pass rushers, and play makers at LB.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, theknife said:

Frost even said in the presser after the game, we are never going to have a defense that holds the other team to 3 given the nature of this offense when things are humming. The latter part of your statement is the philosophy the staff has been preaching since day 1. We are now finally seeing turnovers.  I think this defense will be a lot better when we get a legit NT, some pass rushers, and play makers at LB.  

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct after the game, they also commented about getting more TFL’s. Now, I think NU has improved this stat this year, but it hasn’t been great (or even good). Getting offenses like Illinois in 3rd and long situations will create more stops and turnovers. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct after the game, they also commented about getting more TFL’s. Now, I think NU has improved this stat this year, but it hasn’t been great (or even good). Getting offenses like Illinois in 3rd and long situations will create more stops and turnovers. 

....and when we get some jimmies and joes on the defensive side, we’ll actually start making some stops when the other team is in 3rd and long. Really, with this offense, that’s all we have to do. Stay even or win on turnovers and get a few critical stops. We won’t regularly hold anybody below 21-28 but we won’t need to.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, theknife said:

That part I don't get,there will be a  time when Nebraska is  going to  need the defense to win  a game if the  offense  sputters,why not build it  so they can?? Agree they need a talent upgrade  but the defensive  philosophy don't make sense to me. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

....and when we get some jimmies and joes on the defensive side, we’ll actually start making some stops when the other team is in 3rd and long. Really, with this offense, that’s all we have to do. Stay even or win on turnovers and get a few critical stops. We won’t regularly hold anybody below 21-28 but we won’t need to.

The bolded is the most important part, and the part concerned Husker fans (my dad being one) should take solace in.