What did we learn: Illinois

Here is a good article on UCF's D in 2017 and comparing a few previous years........Not really sure how to relate it to NU as I haven't seen comparable metrics.  They got a ton of TO's and gave up 1.71 points per offensive possession.  Unsure what we are currently giving up.....

We need an infusion of talent for sure. The guys also have to play sound fundamental techniques.  Don't over run the play, set the edge, stay home etc....Oh and when you are in a position to tackle, tackle or at least grab a hold of the guy.  S&C has improved as evidenced by individual improvements, but the comparisons were against their own numbers.  Not compared to the same position group at Clemson, Bama, UM, OU etc.....Change is evident.  It is continuing.  We need (pointing thumb) to remember how horrible we were under Riley.  Aside from Martinez, Washington and Neal (maybe TE's) are there any new guys contributing on a regular basis?

I also think Frost is smart enough to realize the D will need to improve in most areas.  

Day by day. 

https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.com/2018/6/19/17970746/how-good-was-ucf-s-defense-in-2017

• Plus1 3

I learned that this team is finally placing itself at the top of the mediocre big 10 teams. Baby steps. I'm anoxious to see the offense perform against Mich st and iowa. 

Still disappointed to see the dumb unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. These players really don't know you can't be on the field without a helmet on?

I also realized my ozigbo love is approaching roy helu status...

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I learned that AJ Bush is a darn good running QB. He is big, fast, and has some moves. Now, I wouldn’t want him as NU’s starting QB, but he could have been a decent backup in this offense. But, judging by his transfer history, he was always looking for greener pastures. At least he had 1 year as a starting QB in college. 

Question, cuz I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Is Bush a grad transfer this season? I'm guessing he must be since he was at VA Tech last season and this would be his 4th of 5 years. Or am I missing some other explanation as to how he transferred and was able to play immediately?

There is a lot of truth written here in terms of what it means to be a modern defense against some of these offenses. If you look across college football and the NFL, some of these systems are incredibly hard to stop. With the rules being what they are and offenses forcing defenses to spread out so much, you really need players that can act as force multipliers. That could be a secondary that allows Cover 0 man, freeing up defenders to load the box, linemen that allow double teams, an edge rusher that allows you to get there with fewer people....something....and we really don't have any of those. 

What worries me are the situations where the defenders have the advantage. There is no such offense that has a numbers advantage on 3rd and 15. The defense should be able to sit back in a 3 deep and defend the sticks, only allowing underneath throws. The conversion rates on such plays are very low, 20% or so. I don't know our number, but it seems we give up way more than that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Question, cuz I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Is Bush a grad transfer this season? I'm guessing he must be since he was at VA Tech last season and this would be his 4th of 5 years. Or am I missing some other explanation as to how he transferred and was able to play immediately?

You are correct, sir.  Grad transfer.  Last we'll see of him.

• Fire 1
37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The results of this 3-4 experiment have been not very good so far.  Not the magic bullet many were seemingly hoping for.

Those people weren't being realistic. You can't just switch to a different style/formation and expect it to be great right away. Nebraska has a 3-4 Defense with a lot 4-3 personnel on their second different defensive coordinator. Nebraska still doesn't have the olb or lineman for this defense yet people are shocked it doesn't work.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

Illinois offense is as good as Ohio State's but their defense is worse.

I don’t know about as good as Osu, but they have run the real well all year. Some  fans need to look at what teams have done in the past before they have a melt down Illinois had moved the ball and scored on most teams this year. They just can’t stop anyone. 

I learned that Frost Co can now show talented recruits how this can become a championship team if they sign on....couldn't say that earlier in the season.

Good thing AJ isn't much of a passer, or maybe the wind affected him today.....they had guys wide open. With his legs and better passing ,their offense would be the same as ours.

We'll learn a lot more in the next two games....I hope we can outcoach them.