What did we learn: Illinois

Let’s give Frost and Chinander time before we jump to conclusions. Frost knows defense. He played safety in the NFL and was a DC in his early coaching days. While Frost got his offense going extremely well in his second season with UCF, perhaps he and Chinander were still in the developmental stage with the D. They were only there for two years, and this is only the first year here in Lincoln. Too early to determine how good or how bad the D will be.  I like to think it will be better than worse. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Fire the DC this week?  Should we still fire the special team coach from last week?

the problem is Chinander has a history of piss poor defenses........this, IMHO, is going to need to be dealt with sooner rather than later......i think Frost knows that too....he gets 2 more years, tops.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Settling for a bad defense doesn't jibe with paying the coordinator $800,000 a year.  I think Frost might actually have higher expectations than many expect.

Our defense this season has little to do with low expectations by Frost, Chinander or most anyone else.

The roster could not be flipped in one season.  Frost primarily started roster flipping on the offensive side of the ball.

And if you know anything about Frost's coaching mentor, some guy named Tom Osborne, you'll know that staff turnover is not going to happen.

Thankfully.

Settling for a bad defense doesn't jibe with paying the coordinator $800,000 a year.  I think Frost might actually have higher expectations than many expect.

Did you watch his press conference from yesterday? I get the impression he would be fine with a defense like UCF’s last season.

Why do you bring up Chinander's salary?  His salary has nothing to do with the expectations of his job performance.  His salary is based off the going market for a DC, along with Frost's desire to pay his assistants well.  NU has the money.

Yes, it is frustrating that the defense isn't playing better.  IMO, it's more to do with the talent on the field, rather than the scheme.  I am not saying that Chinander is the best DC out there, but, he is the guy who Frost wants to run the defense.  Frost and Chinander have a great relationship.  Frost's offense doesn't help out the defense and DC very much.  There are quick scores, and sometimes quick stops.  Frost's offense requires a DC who is willing to work in those situations.  If a DC is going to want to make his D look great statistically, he probably won't like working with Frost.

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do you bring up Chinander's salary?

Obviously because he hasn't shown he's worth such a lucrative salary.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

His salary has nothing to do with the expectations of his job performance.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Did you watch his press conference from yesterday? I get the impression he would be fine with a defense like UCF’s last season.

No.  

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do you bring up Chinander's salary?  His salary has nothing to do with the expectations of his job performance.  His salary is based off the going market for a DC, along with Frost's desire to pay his assistants well.  NU has the money.

Husker fans LOVE bringing up salaries!  

• Plus1 3

Offense looks great and with Frost only recruited players in four or five years will be absolutely scary to opposing defenses throughout the country (and that includes Alabama).  

Defense on the other hand, wow, I try to look away when they take the field, it truly is cringeworthy.  It really is a huge talent/football IQ issue.  We should be okay in three or four seasons of recruiting but we need to get a lot better talent on that side of the ball and next years class as of right now, just isn't going to cut it.  It will be improved no doubt but until we start winning 9+ games a season, we just aren't going to get the elite talent on D looking to come to Nebraska.  Offense is not an issue, kids see Frost's brilliance and we'll be recruiting at an incredible level in the years to come on that side of the ball.  

Special teams was a focus this week in practice and you could see it on the field this week, needs to continue to be a focus.  

We need a kicker, badly, every time he kicks a simple extra point I hold my breath.