What did we learn: Illinois

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Why not?

Frost wants his defense to cause turnovers, disruption, and get sacks.

They will usually play more snaps than the average.

They will play more snaps than average, they can face quick changes more than average, and other items which would force a defense to allow more points and yards than an average DC. If that DC is looking to get a better job down the road, he may not be as wanted if his “traditional defensive stats” aren’t as good. 

13 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I do not understand why people keep defending chinander...I am not saying fire the guy after one season but let us face it, he is not going to bring back the defense we once had. Frost has been able to get the offense clicking. Chinander has put a bandaid on the problem. His defense has more holes than Swiss cheese and we simply can’t stop good running backs. Every decent running back has had a field day when they played us. Wisconsin, which as we see is not that good at all, ran the ball on us with Jonathan Taylor. Today, Illinois had close to 300 yards rushing on us.

To the bolded: The talent disparity with our offensive roster and our defensive roster is big. Really big. And speed is so critical on defense and we just don't have it. Also - and this might be too early to say but here goes - Frost just might be this generation's Osborne in terms of play design genius. So there are so many disparities there that your point just doesn't seem fair.

Here's another angle also - Every coach is young and relatively inexperienced at one point. To prove that point, we could sit here and make a list of the coaches who broke out into the big time in the modern era where nobody really saw it coming. 

Put two four star guys on either side of our nose tackle and things look different. Get two outside linebackers that run a 40 in the high 4.5's and things look different. Get two safeties that are a bit faster and have been coached in the system longer and things look different. 

I harped on Chinander a lot while we were losing because I was just mad. I see things a bit differently right now. Time will tell, obviously.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, TheSker said:

Remember when Mike Riley said he wanted to be among the top 3 in the conference in rushing?

Remember how many 1,000 yard rushers we had during Riley's 3 year too long tenure?

What does this have to do with the fact that a good quarterback in a well-run multiple offense can do just fine on a cold windy day? 

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

So we're just going to pretend that there isn't a difference between having a QB who's completing 70% of his passes and one who's completing 30%?

Uh no. That was kinda the point. 

But back then a lot of the criticism was around the simple truth of Big 10/Midwestern football: you can't have an offense that's reliant on the pass. 

Scott Frost is running the kind of offense a lot of Husker fans used to hate on principle, but a singular quarterback really makes a difference. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But back then a lot of the criticism was around the simple truth of Big 10/Midwestern football: you can't have an offense that's reliant on the pass. 

I guess I really don’t remember anyone making that argument.  I suppose there were probably a couple.  But most were complaint that we continued to do things that weren’t working in weather that wasn’t helping.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Scott Frost is running the kind of offense a lot of Husker fans used to hate on principle, but a singular quarterback really makes a difference. 

I understand the "point" you're trying to make.

The difference is Frost doesn't pay lip service to the run game.

Mike Riley paid lip service to the run game, including with the quarterbacks he recruited.

Yesterday's game started with designed quarterback runs.

Frost, by principle, believes in a strong run game.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Let’s give Frost and Chinander time before we jump to conclusions. Frost knows defense. He played safety in the NFL and was a DC in his early coaching days. While Frost got his offense going extremely well in his second season with UCF, perhaps he and Chinander were still in the developmental stage with the D. They were only there for two years, and this is only the first year here in Lincoln. Too early to determine how good or how bad the D will be.  I like to think it will be better than worse. 

Funny thing is, when Frost was DC, Chinander was OC!  I agree, just give him some time.  It may not ever be McBride's 90's, but it will get better with age than it is now.  (Or, maybe I'm just in denial?)

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I understand the "point" you're trying to make.

The difference is Frost doesn't pay lip service to the run game.

Mike Riley paid lip service to the run game, including with the quarterbacks he recruited.

Yesterday's game started with designed quarterback runs.

Frost, by principle, believes in a strong run game.

Frost is utilizing the QB run game to start out a number of games, to show the defense they have to play Martinez honest. After he busts a long run or two, that opens up the RB run game and passing game. He probably won’t be counted on having a ton of carries each game, but it opens up the rest of the offense so well. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost is utilizing the QB run game to start out a number of games, to show the defense they have to play Martinez honest. After he busts a long run or two, that opens up the RB run game and passing game. He probably won’t be counted on having a ton of carries each game, but it opens up the rest of the offense so well. 

Understood and agreed.

My post wasn't about the quarterback running, but about not just paying lip service to the run game.

The coaching staff has developed Ozigbo to a probable NFL pick.

When they run against you at will, you have to blame the players on the defensive line and the linebackers who are obviously not assigned to pass coverage. Does the DC really stop them from smelling out the run and making the tackle? Can a DC really be responsible for telling these guys to get in position according to what the offense throws at them and make the tackle or communicate to their buddy so he can do it? I think we've seen plenty of evidence that the Jimmies and Joes lack instinct and get pushed to the wrong place and held pretty easily. Don't think there's a magic DC formula to make up for every strain caused by talent gaps.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Understood and agreed.

My post wasn't about the quarterback running, but about not just paying lip service to the run game.

The coaching staff has developed Ozigbo to a probable NFL pick.

Totally agree with you. I was just adding on to your point. Sometimes when posts are quoted, it can look like people are disagreeing or trying to make a different point. 

2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I suspect my SD TV is cutting off part of the field so I have no clue what is going on downfield while Martinez is sitting in the pocket forever.  Could someone that was at the game or has one of those new fangled TVs help me out?

I have a 70" HD TV and I couldn't see downfield either.  Would be nice if broadcasters used several camera angles and viewers could pick the cameras and split their screens to see what they want to see.  

• Thanks 1