What did we learn: Illinois

The fact that Frost tells media: “I am not the one running the defense” whenever he is asked about the defense implies that he is not satisfied with the performance. His body language whenever an opposing running back breaks a huge run through our hole ridden defense says it all. Frost is a competitor and wants to win. He also wants to turn things around here in Nebraska and get us back to the Nebraska of the nineties. Sooner or later he will realize that chinander is not the right man for the job for the BIG. Chinander might have been good for UCF but the BIG needs a good defense if you want to compete regularly against the likes of Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa. However, I trust that Frost will make the right decision. For now, I am willing to let chinander shows us what he is capable of even though I have a strong feeling that he is not our answer for a strong defense.

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

I understand the "point" you're trying to make.

The difference is Frost doesn't pay lip service to the run game.

Mike Riley paid lip service to the run game, including with the quarterbacks he recruited.

Yesterday's game started with designed quarterback runs.

Frost, by principle, believes in a strong run game.

And we ran for over 300 yards! Frost has not abandoned the run in favor of the pass. This offense bears no resemblance to that of either Billy C or MR.

29 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I'm willing to see where Nebraska's defense is at after year 3. Well unless the defense really craps the bed next year. But as long as they improve (which should be easy enough given where they're at) I can give Chinander a chance. Doesn't mean I won't criticize him from time to time. 

They’ve improved so much this year, I don’t doubt for a second next year will be another light year leap in the right direction. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

The fact that Frost tells media: “I am not the one running the defense” whenever he is asked about the defense implies that he is not satisfied with the performance. His body language whenever an opposing running back breaks a huge run through our hole ridden defense says it all. Frost is a competitor and wants to win. He also wants to turn things around here in Nebraska and get us back to the Nebraska of the nineties. Sooner or later he will realize that chinander is not the right man for the job for the BIG. Chinander might have been good for UCF but the BIG needs a good defense if you want to compete regularly against the likes of Ohio state, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa. However, I trust that Frost will make the right decision. For now, I am willing to let chinander shows us what he is capable of even though I have a strong feeling that he is not our answer for a strong defense.

I don't know if chin is the answer and yes the defense is awful, but i dont know how people can be so certain he sucks when he has no tools to work with.

Who on the defensive line is a difference maker? Davis twins? Nope. Freedom? I dont think he's made a splash play since the non con his freshman year. Stille? Shows flashes probably the best pass rusher on the line but not great yet. 

Linebackers. They don't even have olb for a 3-4 Defense. They were playing two converted safeties there yesterday. Tannor might develop into one but he's only 210 so its going it's going to be a few years.

Defensive backs. The safeties are awful slow and constantly miss tackles.

So with that personnel he's supposed to have a top defense in his first year here? It's going to suck and be tough to watch but this is going to take a few years to get the defense going. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Over everyone's last three games, we are #3 in the country in yards per game.

Utah State and Oklahoma are ahead of us.

Just glanced at Utah State's final scores this season.  When did they turn into a juggernaut?   Plus they get Colorado State this week.  That could be fun.

I saw Nebraska jumped to 13th in the nation in total offense this week.  Good stuff.

• Plus1 1

Honest question.  Why is running an uptempo offense automatically equate to a defense that is subpar?  Why is it people think we can't have a quick strike, high octane O AND a solid top 20 defense?  I am lost as we can't have both.  I understand that a quick strike O puts the D back on quicker, but can't they same be said for Chins "TO" D.......Getting a stop is getting a stop.  If the key to our O is getting the ball as much as it can, wouldn't it also ring true to have a D that gets that ball back quicker through TO's (INT/Fumble), punts or whatever means possible.........Clemson (with Watson) had a pretty quick strike O and a lock down D....

For full disclosure, I'm not sold on Chin, BUT we don't have a huge snapshot of his abilities as a DC given time to recruit and get his players and scheme going.  IIRC, we now have more TFL, INT's, PBU and fumbles than all of last year.  I'm too lazy to look, but I'm guessing in any season of Riley's tenure.  This was with Riley's players and the addition of Neal.  Look at the success of Frost's O with his #1 get in AM.  And development of the others.....(We also had more "talent" to begin with)  Chin took over an 0-12 team with Frost and had them undefeated with Frost in year 2.  Not bad.  I still think we need a top 20 D to win a NC. Statistics tend to show this.  Chin has been a DC for 3 years....Basically rebuilding programs at each stop.  Talent is on the way. S&C is gaining.  Culture is changing.  One huge area that would get us much better is the kids playing sound assignment football. Hold your gap, set the edge (IIRC Chin teaches to keep the skill guys to your inside), don't bite on every head bob, pump fake, bait and switch etc.....Oh and tackle.....As we move forward and start getting depth, I think you start seeing guys riding the pine who can't grasp the basics.  We are also running a 3-4 without a "true" NT, and LB play that to date, hasn't been stellar.  The D will be much better with the addition of Honas (IMO), JoJo with another year and Mo back.  Throw in Daniels in better shape at NT and we look completely different.  (In reality, defensively I'm unsure how many guys on D were really recruited for a 3-4 on the roster)  Recruit an average to better than average edge rusher and we look different......

Day by day........

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/10/2018 at 2:52 PM, huskerfan74 said:

well, I learned the following, starting with the positive first:

(1) We have a very special offense and we can play with the best of them. We can score on anyone.

(2) Adrian Martinez is a STUD and he will only get better. He might be our best shot to have another Heisman winner in almost two decades.

(3) Spielman and Stanley are NFL caliber receivers and we will be seeing Stanley in the NFL next year.

(4) We can actually block a punt...yeah

(5) Our defense is horrible against the run...they are really struggling and that has cost us a few games this year. We simply struggle to stop good running backs even when we know they will be carrying the ball.

(6) Saying that our kicker is bad is an understatement of the year...WE NEED A DECENT KICKER VERY SOON.

(7) Our special teams are still work in progress but they showed some improvements today.

(8) We need our defense to show up next week early because if we let Michigan State start quick, it will be hard for us to score on their defense.

(9) We still commit too many penalties with some being silly with bad timing.

(10) I never thought I would be so happy and hopeful with a 3-7 record but this is the most exciting 3-7 team in the country. 

Go Big Red! 

They are not 3-7.  They are 3-1, damn near 4-0.

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

Understood and agreed.

My post wasn't about the quarterback running, but about not just paying lip service to the run game.

The coaching staff has developed Ozigbo to a probable NFL pick.

My post was about the passing game opening up the running game. Some people didn't think it worked that way, but it really does. 

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My post was about the passing game opening up the running game. Some people didn't think it worked that way, but it really does.

We (as Husker fans) have 2 things combating each other. We historically were a run first team, and the coaches we've had that passed a lot didn't win many games. That makes us biased against passing. The difference with Frost is he's probably a really good, possibly great offensive coordinator, like Osborne was. (I only say probably because that's my impression and while I know the rules of football and the names for some of the detailed things I'm not really a good judge of when a coordinator's really good vs. the players just being really good or the defense being bad).