What did we learn: Illinois

11 hours ago, TheSker said:

Why not?

Frost wants his defense to cause turnovers, disruption, and get sacks.

They will usually play more snaps than the average.

Bingo! Your last sentence makes absolute sense. The Corn offense is not geared to eat up clock — quick striking. So yes the defense will be on the field more and give up more yards as a result. 

17 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We (as Husker fans) have 2 things combating each other. We historically were a run first team, and the coaches we've had that passed a lot didn't win many games. That makes us biased against passing. The difference with Frost is he's probably a really good, possibly great offensive coordinator, like Osborne was. (I only say probably because that's my impression and while I know the rules of football and the names for some of the detailed things I'm not really a good judge of when a coordinator's really good vs. the players just being really good or the defense being bad).

Riley/Langsdorf/Pelini/Beck/Watson were actually running pretty similar offenses to what Scott Frost is running. 

Scott Frost isn't returning Nebraska to smashmouth football, nor anything really Osborne related. He's bringing in the kind of high-octane, Chip Kelly West Coast big playbook hurry-up multiple offense Husker fans thought they hated until Scott Frost brought it to town.  Frost might have gotten marginally more out of Tommy Armstrong, but we wouldn't have been wowed without an Adrian Martinez, who knows how to complete a bubble screen and other high-percentage touch passes. 

Had this been any other coach on a 3-7 team, we'd be talking about why Nebraska abandoned those successful quarterback draws in the second half,  why Ozigbo only got 11 carrries, and why we got cute by throwing the ball when we had the lead in the fourth quarter. 

Frost is a better playcaller and Martinez is a better quarterback. But nothing really changes until we have a defense that isn't giving up 34 points a game. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Bingo! Your last sentence makes absolute sense. The Corn offense is not geared to eat up clock — quick striking. So yes the defense will be on the field more and give up more yards as a result. 

Giving up 383 yards of rushing is not acceptable no matter how much time the defense is on the field. Tell me the last time Alabama or Clemson gave up this much rushing yards? Again, I am not comparing us to them yet and we are probably a couple of years from hopefully being in the playoff conversation but giving up this much rushing yards is a recipe for disaster. In fact, we have not been able to stop any good running back this year.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My post was about the passing game opening up the running game. Some people didn't think it worked that way, but it really does. 

No, some people didn't think that's really what Langs was trying to do.  And it really wasn't.  He just liked to throw the ball.  A lot.  Results be damned.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

40 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Giving up 383 yards of rushing is not acceptable no matter how much time the defense is on the field. Tell me the last time Alabama or Clemson gave up this much rushing yards? Again, I am not comparing us to them yet and we are probably a couple of years from hopefully being in the playoff conversation but giving up this much rushing yards is a recipe for disaster. In fact, we have not been able to stop any good running back this year.

Kinda. Also anyone who watches a series of bama, Clemson and Nebraska can tell the level of athlete is no where near equal. Seriously those teams have top 5 talent and future nfl players at every level of the defense. Nebraska has two former safeties playing olb in a 3-4 Defense. It's not that hard to realize why they suck.

Riley/Langsdorf/Pelini/Beck/Watson were actually running pretty similar offenses to what Scott Frost is running. 

Scott Frost isn't returning Nebraska to smashmouth football, nor anything really Osborne related. He's bringing in the kind of high-octane, Chip Kelly West Coast big playbook hurry-up multiple offense Husker fans thought they hated until Scott Frost brought it to town.  Frost might have gotten marginally more out of Tommy Armstrong, but we wouldn't have been wowed without an Adrian Martinez, who knows how to complete a bubble screen and other high-percentage touch passes. 

Had this been any other coach on a 3-7 team, we'd be talking about why Nebraska abandoned those successful quarterback draws in the second half,  why Ozigbo only got 11 carrries, and why we got cute by throwing the ball when we had the lead in the fourth quarter. 

Frost is a better playcaller and Martinez is a better quarterback. But nothing really changes until we have a defense that isn't giving up 34 points a game. 

Most of this is inaccurate. Especially the first sentence. The only one similar was Beck and he was trying to mold his offense after Oregon's. And almost no Husker fans hated or even disliked what they saw out of Oregon's or UCF's offense. Not sure where you are pulling that idea from.

Also, in 2017, UCF was #71 for highest pass-to-run ratio in the country. Nebraska with Riley's QB was #8.
In 2016, UCF was #53 (Nebraska #80) - with Armstrong they passed it less for very obvious reasons. This was an anomaly for that coaching staff.

In 2015, Oregon was #104 (Nebraska #55)
In 2014, Oregon was #94 (Oregon St. #10, Nebraska #112)
In 2013, Oregon was #91 (Oregon St. #3, Nebraska #105)

This year, Nebraska is #72

And to add to that, Mario Verduzco has stated that Martinez reminded him of Marcus Mariota in his high school film. That's the kind of guy they want, and they got him, and that's who the QB was with those pass ratio rankings 2013-2014.

Another inaccuracy in your post are what we would be saying if it wasn't Frost. I'm sure there is some of that going on but there were complaints about game management and playcalling in the first 5-6 games. But the fact of the matter is most people gave Riley a chance his first season, too.

• Plus1 4

That’s only a valid arguement if the passing game wasn’t working. With a 70% completion percentage and 8.5 yards per attempt with a mobile QB who if the play breaks down can scramble quite effectively, I wouldn’t say you’re ‘getting away from what’s working.’

• Plus1 1

Beck's offense was definitely molded in a very similar fashion to what Kelly/Helfrich were doing. No Nebraska fans hated the offensive philosophy, though - in fact, most of us were excited as hell about it and I would maybe go so far as to say the majority loved the idea of it and were desperate for it. A revitalized spread that utilized the option and was run first? Sign me up. The part we hated was that Beck could not make it work as it should've. He was too streaky as a playcaller, and would lose himself and his offenses strengths in his attempts to play the chess game. 

All that coming from someone who was, not a Beck apologist, but certainly defended him for a long while after he was gone against a lot of criticisms. But his time at tOSU and at Texas has been marked by the same things - great scheme and promise ruined by poor execution and big picture management. He's like the small town physician. He's a real doctor, which is saying something, but he was last in his class at med school.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Beck's offense was definitely molded in a very similar fashion to what Kelly/Helfrich were doing. No Nebraska fans hated the offensive philosophy, though - in fact, most of us were excited as hell about it and I would maybe go so far as to say the majority loved the idea of it and were desperate for it. A revitalized spread that utilized the option and was run first? Sign me up. The part we hated was that Beck could not make it work as it should've. He was too streaky as a playcaller, and would lose himself and his offenses strengths in his attempts to play the chess game. 

All that coming from someone who was, not a Beck apologist, but certainly defended him for a long while after he was gone against a lot of criticisms. But his time at tOSU and at Texas has been marked by the same things - great scheme and promise ruined by poor execution and big picture management. He's like the small town physician. He's a real doctor, which is saying something, but he was last in his class at med school.

To me it seemed like Beck was kinda throwing darts at a wall, not actually setting plays up for future drives. Some of the darts went for 50+ yards, though.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

To me it seemed like Beck was kinda throwing darts at a wall, not actually setting plays up for future drives. Some of the darts went for 50+ yards, though.

I get what you are saying.  But he was really pretty good.  We put up some pretty staggering offensive numbers during his time here.

There were two huge strikes against him, but only one was his fault.  That is, his offenses often didn’t hold up in the biggest games.  Which is a valid complaint but probably skewed the perception more than it should have.  The other was the defense was letting us down way too much.  When people don’t like the overal results, they tend to downgrade everything associated with it.  When you score 35 points in a CCG, you should win the game.  Not get blown out.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I get what you are saying.  But he was really pretty good.  We put up some pretty staggering offensive numbers during his time here.

There were two huge strikes against him, but only one was his fault.  That is, his offenses often didn’t hold up in the biggest games.  Which is a valid complaint but probably skewed the perception more than it should have.  The other was the defense was letting us down way too much.  When people don’t like the overal results, they tend to downgrade everything associated with it.  When you score 35 points in a CCG, you should win the game.  Not get blown out.

Ya I don't think he was bad or even close to it. He just wasn't as good as Frost probably would've been if he'd been hired then. Which in hindsight I'm very glad didn't happen because Frost would not have been given the job after Pelini was fired and probably would have soured on coaching here.

• Plus1 2