What did we learn: Illinois

4 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Giving up 383 yards of rushing is not acceptable no matter how much time the defense is on the field. Tell me the last time Alabama or Clemson gave up this much rushing yards? Again, I am not comparing us to them yet and we are probably a couple of years from hopefully being in the playoff conversation but giving up this much rushing yards is a recipe for disaster. In fact, we have not been able to stop any good running back this year.

I agree 383 yards is unacceptable. What I failed to make clear, huskerfan74,  is when hopefully the Corn has a good defense, it may not show statistically as much because of being on the field more. The more snaps our opponents have, the more likely they will get more yards and perhaps a few more scores. I hope I made that clearer. 

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

To me it seemed like Beck was kinda throwing darts at a wall, not actually setting plays up for future drives. Some of the darts went for 50+ yards, though.

Yes, what Beck was doing is what gets this offense in trouble. Our current offense is far more complex than that one. But I'm sure Taylor being injured half the time and limping around the backfield held them back quite a bit. When he could actually run he was like a bolt of lightning.

Man, I don't know what board you guys were on, but for the last 10 years you couldn't come onto Huskerboard after a win or loss without seeing nearly identical complaints about the offense. 

What is our identity? Why does (COACH) insist on passing so much? What was (COACH) thinking passing the ball on third and two? In the fourth quarter? On a cold and windy day?  Why do they insist on a "multiple" or "balanced" offense? You might get away with that at Oregon, but you can't recruit that kind of talent to Nebraska and it's not suited for the Big 10. Why do we go away from what was working (the running game) for long stretches? Nebraska should never "take what a defense gives you" -- we should line up and exert our will in the running game. Why would we look to California for skill position players? West Coast football isn't Nebraska football, and the WCO kinda playbook is too complex and specialized for Nebraska players to learn.

Etc.

Nobody remembers that? 

I know we periodically had the What is Our Identity threads and people talked about the offenses they thought we should emulate. I remember a lot of Wisconsins and Stanfords and the power option offenses of Navy and Georgia Tech, but I don't remember anybody requesting the Oregon style of offense Scott Frost is bringing to the table. As successful as it was, most folks didn't consider it Nebraska Football. But I think it's pretty damn fun.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Man, I don't know what board you guys were on, but for the last 10 years you couldn't come onto Huskerboard after a win or loss without seeing nearly identical complaints about the offense. 

What is our identity? Why does (COACH) insist on passing so much? What was (COACH) thinking passing the ball on third and two? In the fourth quarter? On a cold and windy day?  Why do they insist on a "multiple" or "balanced" offense? You might get away with that at Oregon, but you can't recruit that kind of talent to Nebraska and it's not suited for the Big 10. Why do we go away from what was working (the running game) for long stretches? Nebraska should never "take what a defense gives you" -- we should line up and exert our will in the running game. Why would we look to California for skill position players? West Coast football isn't Nebraska football, and the WCO kinda playbook is too complex and specialized for Nebraska players to learn.

Etc.

Nobody remembers that? 

I know we periodically had the What is Our Identity threads and people talked about the offenses they thought we should emulate. I remember a lot of Wisconsins and Stanfords and the power option offenses of Navy and Georgia Tech, but I don't remember anybody requesting the Oregon style of offense Scott Frost is bringing to the table. As successful as it was, most folks didn't consider it Nebraska Football. But I think it's pretty damn fun.

The logic of some on this board is amazing. 

I will take any offense that can score from any where on the field over any "identity" offense, such as the ones you listed above. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Etc.

Nobody remembers that? 

Yes, all of that has happened.  But that's a totally different argument from what you have previously brought up in the thread.  That is nothing about the pass game setting up the run game. And that is definitely nothing remotely close to Frost's offense being similar to Riley's.  I have no idea where you're trying to go with all of this other than making the broadest of generalizations with everything.

I've thought Nebraska should run the Oregon offense from when Kelly was at Oregon, long before Frost was seriously being considered as a head coaching candidate.  I liked a power run game out of a spread offense.  I liked our offense when Beck was the OC.  Not that it was perfect but it was pretty good.  Produced a bunch of Top 10 performances in Nebraska history.  I would have preferred Wisconsin or Stanford to WCO because I've always said that we wold have trouble competing to recruit QBs, WRs and OTs if we were running similar systems to USC, Florida State, Michigan, Miami, UCLA (previously), etc who would get almost all of the top prospects before we had a chance.  You recruit a different set of players for the spread that gives us a better shot in recruiting and on the field.

But I guess go ahead and just keep arguing from the 100,000-foot view and insisting that any complaint about previous offense is the same as any other complaint.  

Just for the record, Scott Frost is currently running a 40/33 run/pass split. He ran a 38/32 last year at UCF. 

Mike Riley ran a 38/34 split in 2015, a 40/30 split in 2016 and a 30/38 split in 2017.

The pass-happy Tim Beck ran a 47/27 split in 2012. 

For our control group, Alabama ran a 44/24 split last year. Clemson ran a 41/33. Ohio State 42/31.

In 2007, Bill Callahan's Nebraska team averaged 468 yards a game, a 6.3 per play average and boasted a 1,000 yard rusher, numbers very close to the 2018 offense. If this year's team wins out, they can match the 5-7 record that got Callahan fired. 

Offense hasn't been Nebraska's big problem. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In 2007, Bill Callahan's Nebraska team averaged 468 yards a game, a 6.3 per play average and boasted a 1,000 yard rusher, numbers very close to the 2018 offense. If this year's team wins out, they can match the 5-7 record that got Callahan fired. 

Wait...so are you implying that Frost is going to be fired because of a 5-7 team with a high octane offense? :o

I'm kidding, of course. 

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just for the record, Scott Frost is currently running a 40/33 run/pass split. He ran a 38/32 last year at UCF. 

Mike Riley ran a 38/34 split in 2015, a 40/30 split in 2016 and a 30/38 split in 2017.

The pass-happy Tim Beck ran a 47/27 split in 2012. 

For our control group, Alabama ran a 44/24 split last year. Clemson ran a 41/33. Ohio State 42/31.

Did you even look at my post? I gave the pass to run ratio rankings already. Frost's offenses are nothing at all like Riley's when it comes to passing vs. running. You have to be in the upside down to look at what I posted and think they're similar. Here they are again:

In 2017, UCF was #71 (Nebraska #8)
In 2016, UCF was #53 (Nebraska #80 - "lumbered" with a running QB)

In 2015, Oregon was #104 (Nebraska #55)
In 2014, Oregon was #94 (Oregon St. #10, Pelini's Nebraska #112)
In 2013, Oregon was #91 (Oregon St. #3, Pelini's Nebraska #105)

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Etc.

Nobody remembers that? 

I do, and I remember getting on Beck because his situational awareness when playcalling was suspect. How many times did we see Beck go away from the run on a 3rd and short when the running game was going well and come up empty. This same crap came up during his tenure at Ohio State and has shown up a time or two at Texass...though in all fairness Beck seems to be getting better about this character flaw in his playcalling. 

Frankly, even though they were running different schemes, we had similar complaints about the 'Dorf. Or have we already forgotten how we lost at home to BYU (our first game of the Riley era) because the 'Dorf refused to run the ball on 3rd and short multiple times to kill clock/keep possession?

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Yes, all of that has happened.  But that's a totally different argument from what you have previously brought up in the thread.  That is nothing about the pass game setting up the run game. And that is definitely nothing remotely close to Frost's offense being similar to Riley's.  I have no idea where you're trying to go with all of this other than making the broadest of generalizations with everything.

Here's where I was going: 

the passing game sets up the running game. 

It's a WCO technique practiced by lots of coaches, Frost and Riley included. 

It works a lot better when your quarterback completes 66% of his passes rather than 52%, and avoids turning simple bubble screens into Pick 6s. 

We now have the perfect QB and HC to run that system.

It's fun!

If you say you wanted  to see Nebraska run an Oregon-style offense years ago, I believe you. Just saying that would have put you in a tiny minority on Huskerboard.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you say you wanted  to see Nebraska run an Oregon-style offense years ago, I believe you. Just saying that would have put you in a tiny minority on Huskerboard.

No it wouldn't.

Complaints about Riley's offense, which wasn't working, don't mean people didn't want an offense that passed more than Osborne's and SCORED A SH**TON OF POINTS. With the added bonus of having some really good running backs and exciting quarterbacks who can run.