Brohm gone?

OH HSKR FAN

10 hours ago, brophog said:

With Petrino's buyout being 14 mil, it definitely has that feeling. That's a sizable chunk of change for a struggling athletic department to pay out just because he has a bad season.

Well, the Papa John's founder hasn't exactly been endearing himself to the (vast majority of the) public or doing much of anything lately. 

Writing a check to the Louisville AD to cover Petrino's buyout would garner him some good press, which he's been lacking for a while now. 

• Plus1 1

Expanded quote:

“I’ve heard the noise just like everyone,” Brohm said. “Unfortunately, it’s important for me to not comment on any speculation. Right now, I have a job and we’ve got work to do. We’re going to put forth the effort to do that. We have a tough opponent this week then we have to go to IU. We’re going to have to play well. We have to play much better than we did last week. I’m going to stay focused on that. I’m very appreciative of the job I have right now.”

Certainly a non-denial...

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Well, the Papa John's founder hasn't exactly been endearing himself to the (vast majority of the) public or doing much of anything lately. 

Writing a check to the Louisville AD to cover Petrino's buyout would garner him some good press, which he's been lacking for a while now. 

That would be an interesting power play by Papa John that I hadn't considered.  +1 to you sir.

Louisville is probably going to owe a truckload of cash to Pitino as well.  I don't think Pitino gets the full $37mm he's owed, but he's gonna get something.

The Brohm situation is fascinating as Louisville is a hard job to win at given you have the giants in Clemson and FSU there so you're fighting an uphill battle until Dabo leaves Clemson for Alabama and even still, Clemson will probably keep chugging along.  At the same time, Brohm to Louisville is what Frost is for NU and he'll be given as long of a runway as he needs to get things cooking.  He'd be a fan base unifying hire and would help get the Petrino stink off the program.  I think if Brohm wants to win a MNC he should hold out for USC which I think comes open this year or he can stick at Purdue and perhaps FSU opens up if Taggert bombs again next year.  That being said, he'll be under the microscope at those two jobs whereas at UL, he'll be under whatever the least amount of pressure a coach can have while still making $4.5+mm/yr.

2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I’d be cool with that. I hate to see the B1G lose a good coach but Miles brings name recognition. He needs a good OC.

I will be honest, I don't care if this conference is strong or not. I have no love for any of these schools and if we ever get good enough again that SOS matters on a regular basis then I'll be thrilled. None of the coaches on this side of the conference pose the threat Brohm does, I'd just as soon see him gone. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, brophog said:

I will be honest, I don't care if this conference is strong or not. I have no love for any of these schools and if we ever get good enough again that SOS matters on a regular basis then I'll be thrilled. None of the coaches on this side of the conference pose the threat Brohm does, I'd just as soon see him gone. 

I think it helps if you can tell a recruit that they will be playing against good teams in your division and conference almost every week. That’s probably how SEC coaches sell their conference.  Matchups against top teams garner more national attention which means more eyeballs on us. Of course I want us to be the top dog but of a strong conference.

8 hours ago, brophog said:

I'm somewhere in between. I want Wisconsin and Iowa to be good and then for us to beat them. I'm okay with Purdue remaining mediocre to bad.

10 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I think it helps if you can tell a recruit that they will be playing against good teams in your division and conference almost every week. That’s probably how SEC coaches sell their conference.  Matchups against top teams garner more national attention which means more eyeballs on us. Of course I want us to be the top dog but of a strong conference.

With the conference's so big (and the big ten schedule makers loving us so much) we are going to play in marquee games regardless.

Living in West Lafayette and working at Purdue I can tell you the mood has suddenly shifted from "Brohm isn't going anywhere!" to "Oh S*&t!" real quick.  Half of Brohm's staff are also Louisville alums. My neighbor is Reggie Johnson, D-line coach for Purdue and played D-tackle at Louisville. He and another coach have daughters enrolled at Louisville right now.

Purdue fans can talk about how great of a job Purdue is. My neighbors even said to me a couple weeks ago,"Why would he leave when he has auto-wins in Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska in the division?"  The truth is that while Purdue did upgrade football facilities for the first time in forever (and they do look sharp), finally got lights on their stadium for primetime games, and the academics are top notch but these factors do not overcome the city of West Lafayette and Lafayette.  WL is very much a college town bubble but Lafayette is as rust-belt as it gets with smoke stacks spewing into the sky. There is very little to do here, Indy is an hour away.  

The mentality that the Big 10 West is easier to win that having Clemson in your division at Louisville is also a fallacy. Coaches like Brohm don’t get where they are by shying away from challenges and taking the easy way out.

Also, they can't sell out games. Purdue athletic department was advertising tickets still available for the Ohio St game 3 days prior for $45. A commercial yesterday went across the screen for this weekends Wisconsin game, $15 tickets. The stadium isn't that big.

Purdue fans don't quite understand that their cute little football upstarts hold nothing to the big dogs. Louisville may be a mess but they have better everything but academics IMO. And Brohm has already pulled in the top WR in Kentucky from Louisville. He also another top WR from Indy that is undecided. Wandale may be back in play for him at L-ville as well. I think he would get a quick infusion of talent at WR where he needs it to be successful.

• Plus1 3