Nebraska vs Florida State on Dec. 14th in United Way Classic

cheekygeek

This is not a headline, but a wild idea I just had. What is to prevent two teams who are not bowl eligible from scheduling a post-season game between themselves and marketing it to Disney/ESPN/ABC and making a purse to give to a charity, like NFL darling The United Way? Both Nebraska and Florida State are “name programs” and the extra practices & attention could help recruiting. Fan bases could compete for pledges to the United Way (we’d have Buffet in our corner). This could also kick off the bowl season if played December 14th. I have to believe the match-up would capture some eyeballs nationwide. 

This is could be the start of an annual United Way Classic that would match two “name” schools that miss bowl eligibility who play for the attention, their fan base, and to benefit a charity (after expenses.)

Nebraska could play this one in Florida State’s stadium, in exchange for 60% of the 80,000 seat tickets. Dumbest idea ever?

2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Isn't there some loop hole where you can schedule a game at Hawaii as a 13th game? USC did something like that when they were on probation. I'm sure its way to late to do it now though.

its not a loophole- its a legit rule. Teams that play @ Hawaii get permission to play a 13th game, which teams often take advantage of scheduling in order to help offset the massive expenses that are required when you play a game @ Hawaii 

• Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Old Nebraska Guy said:

Would need a waiver from NCAA to play a 13th regular season game.

Well, I think you get around that by it not being a regular season game. Their regular season record is what it is. And you don’t call it a Bowl Game, because there are rules for bowl eligibility. That’s why I called it a Classic instead of a bowl. And anybody who has a problem with it risks looking bad for being against a game that would benefit charities.

Armed Forces Bowl is on 12/22. Bowl season kicks off on Dec. 15th this year.

20 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Why did Scotty get banned?  He seemed a pretty inoffensive fellow to me

Based off the discussion in the shed, looks like he made a pretty offensive comment about another B1G team in a status update? Not quite sure who it was, wasn't on HB much after the game on Saturday. I'm assuming alcohol was probably a culprit. Kinda like Zach Smith.