Nebraska vs Florida State on Dec. 14th in United Way Classic

cheekygeek

I suppose you could do it. There would be a few logistical problems/hurdles to clear.

1) It wouldn't be an official NCAA game, so technically the NCAA could dole out punishments for competing in an unsanctioned game.

2) Since it isn't an official NCAA game, you'd need someone to pay for all the officials, chain gang, instant replay crew, etc. The tickets may pay for that, but ...

3) How many Nebraska fans would you expect to go? Because whatever number that is, that would be the total number for paid attendance. I don't think Florida State fans would go this year even if the tickets were free. They want to forget this year.

4) You'd have to convince both teams and staffs to do it. Nebraska may want to do it because they look much better now than in Sepetember. I doubt Florida State players would want to play.

5) Similar to point 1, any practices Nebraska had would be illegal since they won't be bowl eligible. Practicing could lead to minor sanctions. If the game was somehow allowed, neither team would be allowed to practice ahead of time. 

In all honesty though, I'd watch it if it somehow happened. Apologies if I sound like a wet blanket. It's an interesting idea.

If the Huskers win out, the attendance at any post season game with the Huskers participating would exceed that of any non-playoff bowl. Have you noticed how bad attendance has been the past few years? The television rating would also be good because of the story. 2017 Coach of the year beats Auburn, goes 13-0, returns home and starts 0-6, but finishes 5-1, with the most exciting offense in CFB. Even non-Huskers would tune in.

As far as the charity, why not give the money to Team Jack?

Florida State was just an obvious big name that is not going to go bowling. There are other options, depending upon how they finish.

The Team Jack thing is not a bad idea, but I fear for the NCAA to approve the idea (and get more nationwide attention) it would need to be more of a recognized “umbrella” charity, like The United Way. Also, it might be unrealistic, but it would be really humanitarian if everyone involved donated their salary for the event to the charity (officials, cameramen, etc.)? Make it voluntary, but make them part of the story. This game would be about more than football, but using one’s program to shine a spotlight on doing good for others - setting an example, even in an “off year”.

The more it is about that, the fewer people should oppose it. ESPN could still sell advertising, but also spotlight other worthy causes & stories. And these college players who are up for humanitarian awards? They should be awarded & honored at half time.

• Plus1 1