CFB Coaching Carousel 2018-2019

GSG

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

He's the 4th highest paid coach in the B1G

I guess, my point is they are already stuck with a high buyout, and even if they pay more, they may not get anyone better.  Again, team is young.  Not sure how much money they have.  They already overspent.  Might as well keep him unless you are going to go cheap and go MAC.  Not sure that worked for them either.

3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I guess, my point is they are already stuck with a high buyout, and even if they pay more, they may not get anyone better.  Again, team is young.  Not sure how much money they have.  They already overspent.  Might as well keep him unless you are going to go cheap and go MAC.  Not sure that worked for them either.

I'm questioning the contract extension at this point in his tenure

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Normal deal, you don't want recruits to think the coach is going anywhere.  They just came off turmoil a few years ago and are looking for stability.  I think they know their place in the league for now.

I'm well aware of how it is supposed to be received.  I don't think it has any bearing on a player if they commit when a coach has 5 years left in a deal or 4. 

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I'm well aware of how it is supposed to be received.  I don't think it has any bearing on a player if they commit when a coach has 5 years left in a deal or 4. 

I am not arguing with you.  I agree, I am just saying what I think they are thinking.  Illinois is irrelevant and will stay there with Lovie.  We need to just move Iowa to that level as well.

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Normal deal, you don't want recruits to think the coach is going anywhere.  They just came off turmoil a few years ago and are looking for stability.  

I've always questioned this wisdom. Does a recruit really look at a coach's putrid record and think that his job is any safer just because of a token contract extension? Do AD's across the country think that a contract extension is going to improve a bad coach's performance? Is everyone okay with these sorts of sunk costs just because it is standard practice?

Just now, Ulty said:

I've always questioned this wisdom. Does a recruit really look at a coach's putrid record and think that his job is any safer just because of a token contract extension? Do AD's across the country think that a contract extension is going to improve a bad coach's performance? Is everyone okay with these sorts of sunk costs just because it is standard practice?

I have always heard other coach's use it as negative recruiting.  

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

No

Yes

No

The actual reality is few coaches will be around in 5 years, period. For example, coaches that have been at their school now 5 years that expect to be there next year in two of the best recruiting conferences:

Big Ten 5/14

SEC 4/14

Of those 9, several are at least rumored to be leaving, though there is a good chance none do. There isn't a lot of actual stability, and about halfof any conference's schools that exhibit such are schools that have relatively low expectations. So the best you can do in recruiting is to suggest stability and hope whomever it is you're trying to convince doesn't really know how quickly schools churn through coaches.

• Plus1 1