**Opponent Preview - UC Riverside** Games 1-4

17 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Not a bad weekend,  bats looked good.

True...but pitching looked bad until that last game.

There are very few opponents we'll be able to out-slug during the season and beat. So far, we're seeing the same refrain as previous seasons--one aspect was focused on during the offseason and has improved significantly, while one or both of the other aspects have been left languishing. In this case, hitting has significantly improved, but defense/fielding and pitching has taken a powder. 

Now, it's *REALLY* early in the season, and 3-1 was the bare minimum acceptable result from this series, so we're okay. Next week will tell us if Erstad has actually improved things, or merely played a shell game with the coaching.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

True...but pitching looked bad until that last game.

There are very few opponents we'll be able to out-slug during the season and beat. So far, we're seeing the same refrain as previous seasons--one aspect was focused on during the offseason and has improved significantly, while one or both of the other aspects have been left languishing. In this case, hitting has significantly improved, but defense/fielding and pitching has taken a powder. 

Now, it's *REALLY* early in the season, and 3-1 was the bare minimum acceptable result from this series, so we're okay. Next week will tell us if Erstad has actually improved things, or merely played a shell game with the coaching.

Pitching was good on Friday.  Chad gave up 4 runs, 3 unearned.  One thing I seen on Friday & Saturday was too many errors.  Hopefully preseason jitters!

42 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Pitching was good on Friday.  Chad gave up 4 runs, 3 unearned.  One thing I seen on Friday & Saturday was too many errors.  Hopefully preseason jitters!

Sorry--should have clarified. Our starting pitching was good on Friday, but relief pitching was suspect at best. And yes, defense plays into how pitching looks...but from the (janky AF) feed, I wasn't impressed with the pitching.

Thing is, even giving up 4 runs to UC-R (who is *not* a good team) isn't THAT reassuring, either, if we're being honest. I hope this is just first series jitters/knocking the dust off, and we'll see us win (or at least split) with Oregon State next weekend. 

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Sorry--should have clarified. Our starting pitching was good on Friday, but relief pitching was suspect at best. And yes, defense plays into how pitching looks...but from the (janky AF) feed, I wasn't impressed with the pitching.

Thing is, even giving up 4 runs to UC-R (who is *not* a good team) isn't THAT reassuring, either, if we're being honest. I hope this is just first series jitters/knocking the dust off, and we'll see us win (or at least split) with Oregon State next weekend. 

If we win the series against Oregon State, I will go f$%&ing crazy.

I will definitely be happy with a split as well

• Plus1 1