Smallest town/city you have lived in and what did you like/dislike about it?

For two years I was stuck in a small central NE town of about 2,500 people.  I can't say that I liked much about it other than the cheap rent at the time.  There was one movie theater and a Subway, McDonalds and a Chinese place opened up, that was a big deal at the time.

I was out there just for a job but man was it boring.

• Plus1 1

Just now, knapplc said:

I grew up in the country outside my hometown. Not quite on a farm, but surrounded by farmland.

Best thing about it was the pitch blackness at night. Great for stargazing.

This is one of the things I miss the most about growing up in a small town. 

Grew up in a town of about 1,900 people and so glad that I did. I live in a 'city' now and it also has its advantages such as things to do, places to eat, bars, shopping. 

Things I liked about small town:

-Cheap living - mortgage, property taxes, daycare, etc...wages are typically a little lower though  

-Sense of a close community in time of hardship or just in general when you are out and about always seeing someone you know. Sports were also a bigger deal in my experience as the whole town is behind you in HS compared to just the parents who have kids in HS in a city  

-Nice outdoor experience. More places to fish, hunt, sled if you are into those things. Bonfires and drinking 

-No traffic when you go anywhere 

-Never worried about crime. We rarely ever locked our doors. As kids we stayed out all day until supper time without cell phones 

Just now, teachercd said:

In a town that small did you have a bar/food joint?

For awhile, yea. It burned down when I was in middle school, and didn't get rebuilt. 

The town I went to school in had a couple local places to eat, as well as a Pizza Hut, Subway and Taco John's. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I am sure living in a small town is great as a kid for many of the reasons mentioned, but I would think that the job opportunities for an adult are pretty limited, unless you wanted to be a teacher, medical professional, policeman, etc.  Even then, you would have limited places to be in those types of professions.

Why pick one? In some towns you can be all the jobs!

• Haha 3

Hometown Nebraska was about 1100 when I lived there.  Now it's about 800ish.  This is the smallest town I've lived in between 10 in 6 states.

I prefer to live in bigger areas because I like anonymity.  I live at least 6 hours from my closest relatives and friends.  Whenever I go back "home" people are just talking about other people's business.  I don't have that here.