Here To Explain: Illinois

Cdog923

The pulling linemen is a great concept, but it's the kind of thing that can really make an O Line look stupid if the defense susses out the play.

But, now that this play is on film, we'll see a wrinkle off it in the next game or two, where Martinez will keep it and follow the pulling blockers, or he'll drop a pass in to someone where the LBs have cleared out.  There's a lot going on here, a lot you can do once you get a defense thinking.

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The pulling linemen is a great concept, but it's the kind of thing that can really make an O Line look stupid if the defense susses out the play.

But, now that this play is on film, we'll see a wrinkle off it in the next game or two, where Martinez will keep it and follow the pulling blockers, or he'll drop a pass in to someone where the LBs have cleared out.  There's a lot going on here, a lot you can do once you get a defense thinking.

I'm pretty sure Frost had Martinez keep on a couple plays in the first half with the pulling linemen leading the way.  I think he had about a 10-yard TD run in the first quarter, following pulling linemen.  So, Frost showed the pulling linemen first, and then added the runs the other way after.

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, STL Husker said:

If the line executes on the left side, AM could house it on the keep too.  This almost seems unfair.

59 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Absolutely; there's probably a pass play built into it as well. 

Just now, TGHusker said:

Great play.  Just reminds me of how Tom threw so many wrinkles in base running plays back in the day.  Very fun to watch.

Also, Ziggy's new speed really shows on this play. 

Also  - wish we had the ability to play again some of those 0-6 games - now that our O is playing great and the D is starting to gel... somewhat.  I guess that gives us something to look forward to next year. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Great play.  Just reminds me of how Tom threw so many wrinkles in base running plays back in the day.  Very fun to watch.

That Option run where the QB would stop, pop back two steps, then throw over the top to the TE was among my favorite "that's not fair" plays. Tom would pull that one out when he had the defense selling out to stop the Option because we were gaining 7-10 yards a pop.  Then they'd throw it and the defense would look so frustrated.

• Plus1 2

This is a prime example of play design that puts players in position to be successful.  Think of how much easier this play is for O linemen than the pathetic play design and play calling we have seen in recent past where everybody and their dog knew a run play was going to be nothing more than handing it off to the RB to run straight forward between tackles.

And, people wondered why our 5 O linemen couldn't block 7 guys.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a prime example of play design that puts players in position to be successful.  Think of how much easier this play is for O linemen than the pathetic play design and play calling we have seen in recent past where everybody and their dog knew a run play was going to be nothing more than handing it off to the RB to run straight forward between tackles.

And, people wondered why our 5 O linemen couldn't block 7 guys.

But the pass was going to open up the run game!!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That Option run where the QB would stop, pop back two steps, then throw over the top to the TE was among my favorite "that's not fair" plays. 

For sure. Frost gave that last uppercut to Minnesota with that very play over the top to Stan in the fourth quarter. I was like, "It's 1995 again!"

• Plus1 1