Defensive Philosophy

DefenderAO

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think many fans have formed that conclusion because of what the coaches have emphasized which is more discussion about maybe giving up some yards and pushing for turnovers. Instead of talking about just disciplined sound assignments and getting a 3 and out. I think a 3 and out accomplishes the same thing as a pick. Gets your offense back on the field. 

Plus in my mind a disciplined solid D seems more reliable than counting on turnovers 

I think many fans haven't heard what the coaches have actually said.

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

To add, outside of Mo, we are really lacking at LB.  We don't have a true starting NT for a 3-4.  No average + edge rusher etc.....A great O and sh!tty D don't have to go hand in hand......We can have an explosive up tempo O and a shut down D.  Watching the games, many times our D has made mistakes in the execution of said scheme.  ie missed tackle, over pursues, bite on fakes etc....The bright side is no denying we have improved as the season has progressed.  We are recruiting talent and looking at the Juco route for contributors....Not to say I'm sold on Chin, but it's year one.......I like what Frost has done so far.

I'm also not 100% sold on chin either but I'm not sure what people really think he can do with the players he has to work with. A few of these guys are on their 3rd dc in 3 years as well which doesnt help.

But just looking at the talent of the three levels of the defense where are the elite players?

Dline- no true nt yet maybe Daniels develops into one eventually but he's only a rs freshman. Davis twins in Stille are good and have their moments but aren't all conference guys.

Linebackers- no true olb Tannor is probably 30 pounds away from being an every down player there. Ilb outside of barry have been bad. 

Dbs- bootle has been getting a lot of flags lately but #21 is getting better. The safeties cant tackle.

59 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get your point. I agree. It seems the emphasis is reliant on a turnover. A solid disciplined D seems more reliable than hoping for turnovers. I would rather have our O paired with Michigan state D. That’s a national title combo 

Where in the world do you get that Frost and Chinander don't want a solid, disciplined defense?

Seriously......

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Where in the world do you get that Frost and Chinander don't want a solid, disciplined defense?

Seriously......

This thread wasn't really about this year's defensive efficacy.  I've listened to every press conference, and turnovers have been the principal talking point on D.  Mistakes, field position, alluding to lack of talent have shown up too...but watching UCF and hearing Chin, my concern is the future lauding of a 54 yard catch, strip-fumble (great?) and a 54 yard 1st-and-goal (ouch) is a post game presser focus on the difference for a future week 6 W vs a future week 8 L.

Chin stated similar things at UCF - get HCSF the ball.  My question is at what cost this emphasis will have in the future.  And NO, I'm not down on Chin.  Simply curious.

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

This thread wasn't really about this year's defensive efficacy.  I've listened to every press conference, and turnovers have been the principal talking point on D.  Mistakes, field position, alluding to lack of talent have shown up too...but watching UCF and hearing Chin, my concern is the future lauding of a 54 yard catch, strip-fumble (great?) and a 54 yard 1st-and-goal (ouch) is a post game presser focus on the difference for a future week 6 W vs a future week 8 L.

Chin stated similar things at UCF - get HCSF the ball.  My question is at what cost this emphasis will have in the future.  And NO, I'm not down on Chin.  Simply curious.

He was at ucf for 2 years he's in his first year at Nebraska. Maybe he hasn't been at a school long enough to get a defense full of his guys so he's emphasizing things he can control like stripping the ball intercepting a pass of a tip has a lot to do with effort. Those are things they can accomplish now.

When you dont have a front seven capable of getting consistent pressure or stopping the run and a secondary with issues there is only so much you can do. 

42 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

He was at ucf for 2 years he's in his first year at Nebraska. Maybe he hasn't been at a school long enough to get a defense full of his guys so he's emphasizing things he can control like stripping the ball intercepting a pass of a tip has a lot to do with effort. Those are things they can accomplish now.

Another reason I won't judge him yet and I keep stating it over and over. It's quite possible Chinander will become a much better defensive coordinator. He hasn't even had half a team of his guys yet and he's been a coordinator for all of 2.8 seasons now.

Also, the turnovers don't seem to be a random thing. Nebraska has gotten better and better at it throughout the season, and some of the fumbles were really good plays by the defender. IIRC we've had at least 3 fumbles in the past few games that were tackle, punch the ball out, and recover it. They weren't just unlucky fumbles by the opposing offense. One of our guys made a great play on each of them. I also don't think Lamar Jackson makes that interception in the end zone in the first half of the season. And the same thing happened at UCF. Turnovers are also a much bigger momentum swing than a 3 and out. They can demoralize a team.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Chin stated similar things at UCF - get HCSF the ball.  My question is at what cost this emphasis will have in the future.  

Why do you assume there is a ‘cost’ associated with this? UCF was 2nd in the country last year at forcing turnovers. That’s not an anomaly and I don’t think that came as a detriment to yards or points allowed on defense.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Why do you assume there is a ‘cost’ associated with this? UCF was 2nd in the country last year at forcing turnovers. That’s not an anomaly and I don’t think that came as a detriment to yards or points allowed on defense.

Every sport preaches protect the ball.  I'm not wanting majority chips pushed into the table on a philosophy of punching the ball.

Let me reiterate, I'm not hating.  I'm looking at the future with hope and hedging against possible holes.

• Plus1 1

Chin's defense doesn't currently work because we get no pressure on the QB.  This is a critical missing piece.  Pressured QB's lead to INT's or stripping the ball from the QB.  We are trying to strip the ball...but unfortunately it's after a 10 yard gain.  I see a lot of holes on defense that we have to fill in recruiting.  The defense with its emphasis on playmaking actually sounds fun to play in so hopefully it draws some big time defensive recruits.  Pola-Gates and T. Robinson would really get the momentum going for the Blackshirts.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Another reason I won't judge him yet and I keep stating it over and over. It's quite possible Chinander will become a much better defensive coordinator. He hasn't even had half a team of his guys yet and he's been a coordinator for all of 2.8 seasons now.

Also, the turnovers don't seem to be a random thing. Nebraska has gotten better and better at it throughout the season, and some of the fumbles were really good plays by the defender. IIRC we've had at least 3 fumbles in the past few games that were tackle, punch the ball out, and recover it. They weren't just unlucky fumbles by the opposing offense. One of our guys made a great play on each of them. I also don't think Lamar Jackson makes that interception in the end zone in the first half of the season. And the same thing happened at UCF. Turnovers are also a much bigger momentum swing than a 3 and out. They can demoralize a team.

I dont think myself or the OP are saying fire chinander or even that he wont be a good DC once we get better players. We are stating that in many of his interviews the general theme is all about try to take the ball away. Thats not bad- it just seems sometimes like the only emphasis. Observations are not bad.

They make millions to coach football- I am sure they know what they are doing. We dont have access to all of what they say and what is going on in their head and their scheme. All we have to base this from is a once a week interview.

• Plus1 1