Interesting nugget in a story RE: McKenzie Milton

Cdog923

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2806056-ucf-qb-mckenzie-milton-goes-off-on-notre-dame-cant-tell-me-theyre-better

It's the typical "UCF isn't treated fairly" piece, only straight from Milton's mouth (I do enjoy how much he went in on Notre Dame). But there was an interesting nugget about two thirds of the way through the story:

That's why it was so hard for Milton to watch Frost leave for his dream job at Nebraska, and why he almost followed Frost to Lincoln.

"Part of me thought about it," Milton says. "But in the end, these guys here, my teammates, I couldn't leave them."

I know it was talked about here facetiously, but this is just more fluff, right? He wasn't actually thinking about transferring with Frost, was he? 

• Plus1 1

Milton is a great player but I’m glad it didn’t happen. The first paragraph is misleading though. He said a part of him thought about it - that doesn’t mean it almost happened. 

And comparing scores like that doesn’t work.

Notre Dame beat Navy 44-22

UCF beat Navy 35-24

His argument is already dead right there, and wasn’t a good one to begin with. 

I also think UCF will lose tomorrow.

Milton has been a great player at UCF, and has maximized his ability with the help of some great coaching.  But he's the type of player and talent Frost was able to recruit to UCF.  Now that Frost is at NU, he's able to recruit a bigger and more talented QB with Martinez, and the commits of McCaffrey and Smothers.

There were a lot of comparisons between Gebbia and Milton before the season, and we see how the talent of Martinez won out in that QB race.

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Milton is a great player but I’m glad it didn’t happen. The first paragraph is misleading though. He said a part of him thought about it - that doesn’t mean it almost happened. 

UCF beat Navy 35-24

I'm hoping UCF loses tomorrow; they were a great story last year, with local interest, but they've lived long enough to see themselves become the villain. 

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Milton has been a great player at UCF, and has maximized his ability with the help of some great coaching.  But he's the type of player and talent Frost was able to recruit to UCF.  Now that Frost is at NU, he's able to recruit a bigger and more talented QB with Martinez, and the commits of McCaffrey and Smothers.

There were a lot of comparisons between Gebbia and Milton before the season, and we see how the talent of Martinez won out in that QB race.

I agree that Martinez is better than Milton but I think Milton is a much better athlete than Gebbia. 

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree that Martinez is better than Milton but I think Milton is a much better athlete than Gebbia. 

And Milton apparently has a much better attitude and higher level of team commitment and playing for his brothers than Gebbia did...obviously. But I’m glad he didn’t follow and we got Martinez. May have had more of an immediate impact but, before 2AM is done, I think he will eclipse Milton. Milton is great but Martinez is going to be super special.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And Milton apparently has a much better attitude and higher level of team commitment and playing for his brothers than Gebbia did...obviously. But I’m glad he didn’t follow and we got Martinez. May have had more of an immediate impact but, before 2AM is done, I think he will eclipse Milton. Milton is great but Martinez is going to be super special.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I am not sure how Milton could have "played better" than Martinez has played this year.  Also, Milton would have had to sit out this year as a transfer.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I am not sure how Milton could have "played better" than Martinez has played this year.  Also, Milton would have had to sit out this year as a transfer.

Both good points and I didn’t even consider he would have had to sit out. About the only thing he could have done better is to avoid a few of 2AM’s more confusing Freshman mistakes. I’m not complaining though, those are excellent learning moments for him going forward.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Both good points and I didn’t even consider he would have had to sit out. About the only thing he could have done better is to avoid a few of 2AM’s more confusing Freshman mistakes. I’m not complaining though, those are excellent learning moments for him going forward.

No substitute for game action. The schedule this year was rough and it has worked out well for experience, even (maybe especially) the losses. These kids will be certain to hate losing the rest of their careers.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

UCF beat Navy 35-24

I hope you're wrong on the bolded.  Wouldn't it really suck for UCF if they again went undefeated and then lost their coach to his alma mater where he won a NC as a player because their current coach bolted for Dallas? 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I hope you're wrong on the bolded.  Wouldn't it really suck for UCF if they again went undefeated and then lost their coach to his alma mater where he won a NC as a player because their current coach bolted for Dallas? 

I don’t care. They held up Vedral getting cleared by NCAA. UCF should be on Nebraska’s bad side, FOREVER!