Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

How do you figure? They've beaten us 6 times in a row and 8 of the last 9. They're our new Texas (for now).

Iowa is closer to being a rival now that they've won some but time will tell. I think 5 years from now they'll be our doormat.

The teams that seem most like rivals as far as the series have gone are Northwestern and Minnesota. Iowa gets mentioned more often because of proximity - I'll agree with you there.

We have a different definition of rival. To me it's the team you want to beat the most, like Oklahoma, but yeah it helps to beat them once in a while before you call them a rival. I still think the Iowa 'rivalry' is a media fabrication. 

Personally, I think Northwestern is our rival. Not only because the games have been close, but they still claim to be NU when clearly they are NW and we are NU.

Also, the two teams  could play each year for the rites to wear an ’N’ on the helmets the next time they meet. Eff stupid corporate trophies; play for the N on your helmet.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Personally, I think Northwestern is our rival. Not only because the games have been close, but they still claim to be NU when clearly they are NW and we are NU.

Also, the two teams  could play each year for the rites to wear an ’N’ on the helmets the next time they meet. Eff stupid corporate trophies; play for the N on your helmet.

WINNER!

5 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

Nebraska fans are used to a “rivalry of respect” with Oklahoma.  Two teams with similar history who battled nearly every year for the conference crown.

Nebraska fans are not used to a rivalry drawn on good old fashioned hate.  That’s Iowa.

This is well said.

Iowa to me is like what Kansas State was in the Big 8/Big 12 days after they got over the hump in 1998 and beat Nebraska for the first time in ages.  It's a heightened level of disgust.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

Nebraska fans are used to a “rivalry of respect” with Oklahoma.  Two teams with similar history who battled nearly every year for the conference crown.

Nebraska fans are not used to a rivalry drawn on good old fashioned hate.  That’s Iowa.

This OU rivalry on “respect” is revisionist history. It was pure hatred in the 70s and 80s.  Switzer was the biggest cheater in CFB outside of the old SWC.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Is Iowa a rival to Nebraska? Kind of. It's getting there. Look, it's never going to perfect like Oklahoma was. We just need to accept that Nebraska will never have another Oklahoma again.

I can come up with a scenario that essentially would make the two full-blooded rivals for the next decade. It will only to take two games over the next year and one week.

2018 game next week: Nebraska comes out and pummels Iowa like they did to Colorado in 2005. Nebraska scores late, goes for two and gets it. Nebraska beats Iowa in Iowa City 46-14. Most Nebraska fans mock Iowa after the thrashing and say Iowa may never beat Nebraska again.

2019 game in a year and one week: Nebraska enters at 9-2 and ranked around the top 10. Iowa enters at 7-4 enduring a standard Kirk Ferentz ho-hum year. Nebraska would clinch the west division with a win. They don't win though. Iowa rolls into Lincoln and stuns Nebraska 24-20 after the Hawkeye D has a goal line stand in the final minutes to preserve the win. Iowa fans mock Nebraska about how they failed to win the division again and that they never will again.

This scenario makes Iowa the biggest rival for most Nebraska fans for the immediate future. Not forever. but for at least a while. And the more games like the two above and the further entrenched they become as rivals.

• Plus1 2