Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, Hayseed said:

Wisconsin is our Texas.

No, I would suggest Ohio State is our Texass. Wisky is more our Mizzery, but with substantially more success (than Mizzery) but still looking up to us for various reasons. 

Additionally, I would submit that Iowa is more our Colorado, but with fewer flirtations with competence than the Buffaloes have ever experienced and s******r driving skills among the Iowa collective fanbase. Also, that:

• MSU is our Kansas State (or aTm)
  • Michigan is our Texas Tech
  • Illinois is our Baylor
  • Purdue is our Iowa State
  • Northwestern is our Oklahoma State
  • Penn State is our Oklahoma.
On 11/18/2018 at 10:06 AM, ICHawk24 said:

One requirement of today's CFB rivalries is at least one fanbase has to deny it is a rivalry.

No, one requirement is that the rivalry requires a contrived trophy created by the B1G headquarters paired with a corporate sponsorship.

That's why it's okay to say Minny and the $5 Bits of Broken Chair isn't a rivalry--it just means it is, because we exist in Bizarro world. 

And reading that has now made my head hurt from the paradox. 

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Nebraska is to Michigan State what Texas was to Nebraska.

Yes. Minus the long stretch where Texas was a much more regularly dominant team than MSU has been.

We’ve beaten MSU when they’re undefeated and we were 4-7 or whatever it was. We beat MSU when we’re supposed to. We beat MSU in the last minutes (or seconds) of the game — 3 times now. We beat them 24-3 when they were ranked #9 and we were #13. We even almost came back in a game we shouldn’t have been in 3 years ago. I would hate us if I was an MSU fan. 

There wasn’t a single time before or during the season I thought we might lose to MSU this season until they went up 6-0 in the 4th quarter on Saturday and even then I hadn’t given up. I was just getting a little nervous. We have their # and I’ll always assume we’ll beat them.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We’ve beaten MSU when they’re undefeated and we were 4-7 or whatever it was. We beat MSU when we’re supposed to. We beat MSU in the last minutes (or seconds) of the game — 3 times now. We even almost came back in a game we shouldn’t have been in. I would hate us if I was an MSU fan. 

Our strategy, which is clearly working, is for MSU to not hate us.

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I never doubted.

It reminded me of that game too.

Also, when we stripped the ball and they blew the whistle for forward progress, I felt like something was going to happen on the next play. It reminded me of the almost safety against Florida and then the for real safety. 

If it's a rivalry now, it's because we're not where we belong / have traditionally been.  Oklahoma was our rival before as we had comparable achievements and kept finishing 1 and 2 in our conference...which allowed us to contend for an even greater prize fairly regularly.  We had big stakes on the line with an equal and that made it more of a rivalry.  I'd call Iowa an enemy at best (like Colorado used to be only without so much history, in terms of winning the conference).

Let's take Notre Dame as an example.  USC is their rival but Michigan is their enemy.

19 minutes ago, beorach said:

If it's a rivalry now, it's because we're not where we belong / have traditionally been.  Oklahoma was our rival before as we had comparable achievements and kept finishing 1 and 2 in our conference...which allowed us to contend for an even greater prize fairly regularly.  We had big stakes on the line with an equal and that made it more of a rivalry.  I'd call Iowa an enemy at best (like Colorado used to be only without so much history, in terms of winning the conference).

Let's take Notre Dame as an example.  USC is their rival but Michigan is their enemy.

Do you consider Michigan and Michigan State rivals? Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? Clemson and South Carolina? 

I think we need to start by defining what constitutes a rivalry because no one even agrees on that. Some people seem to think both teams have to be good and you battle it out every year to decide who wins the west. In my opinion NO. I think a rival is just someone you butt heads with, you look forward to the game every year, you feel a little bit extra juice because you want to take them down. 

Iowa dislikes us because they are jealous of our history. We dislike Iowa because they are smartasses and always mock us because of their jealousy. Just the additional pure emotion and angst involved playing these guys and wanting to win makes it close to a rival. Or on its way to a rivalry. 

Alot of rivalries are born in bad blood. Seeing Chryst's comments on the sideline "f#&% them motherf#&%ers" makes me dislike wisconsin a little more and that makes me want to beat their a$$ next year. That makes it start to feel like a little bit of a rivalry.

• Plus1 1