Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think the CU rivalry is a good backdrop for this conversation. We did not consider the Buffs a rival when they considered us a rival. That took years, and that's despite a long history of playing every year.  That's not snobbery, it's just that playing Colorado was no different than playing Kansas. Suddenly they just decided it was THE rivalry, and we weren't having it.

It became our main rivalry after 1) they won a national championship, 2) they beat us a bunch, 3) the Big XII ended our yearly game with Oklahoma, and 4) when we reciprocated the feeling.

You know it's a rivalry when, after not playing for long enough that two recruiting cycles have passed, both teams' fans still wanted to win this year's game with a passion.

Most Nebraska fans don't currently feel that way about Iowa. For them, it's about Colorado around 1989-level hate toward Iowa. CU had already declared we were their rivals, we didn't feel it, but we wanted to beat them every year. And we hated them.

We just have to wait and let this thing with Iowa percolate.  I think it will definitely get to where every Husker fan thinks it's a rivalry. 

I totally agree. I don't see it as being there yet but it's definitely headed in that direction. But I can understand if it's already at that level for some fans. Having to regularly deal with a jackwagon fanbase will push a person into that rivalry feeling a little bit faster. I moved to Colorado in 86 and that was about the time McCartney started gunning for us. CU referring to it as a rivalry really, I mean REALLY, annoyed me at first. And then I spent quite awhile denying it because it seemed to annoy Joe CU fan. But there still is no team I hate worse. If I had to listen to Iowa fans regularly I'm sure I'd already be there.

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

You think BRB is pregnant?

I’ll see myself out.

Actually, I was implying the opposite (that he was on it for being so cranky about someone not thinking the way he does).  That's pretty close for me having someone get a joke I tried to make, though.  It's not my strong suit.  :dunno

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Statistically speaking, there is a significant amount of rivalries in sports where the two teams do not have the same amount of success.

Most people pronounce the word, forte, as "for-tay," despite the first pronunciation listed in the dictionary indicating it's like the word, "fort."  The definition of a rivalry is obviously not so cut and dried.

29 minutes ago, beorach said:

Most people pronounce the word, forte, as "for-tay," despite the first pronunciation listed in the dictionary indicating it's like the word, "fort."  The definition of a rivalry is obviously not so cut and dried.

That’s right. It’s not cut and dried and fit into a nice little definition  like some want to make it out to be. 

I agree that the trophy was forced, and an all around bad idea (I hate that damn thing....Wisconsin's too).

But Iowa is most definitely our biggest rival in this conference. As people, we are very similar. As football programs, historically, we couldn't be much more different.

Embrace it. I don't know why you wouldn't. It's fun.

We're still new to the conference and we haven't been relevant for awhile. So no rivalry is going to feel organic or worn in, but I don't see why we can't declare one. An irrational dislike is a good place to start. 

But for a rivalry to work, the rival has to feel the same way. 

Iowa is the closest thing we have at the moment. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But for a rivalry to work, the rival has to feel the same way. 

This is the reason why Iowa is our ONLY rival in this conference. There is a clear, mutual disdain.... And it's beautiful.

I've seen a few mention Wisconsin. Sure, they're a big deal to us, but we don't matter to them at this point. They curb stomp us on a yearly basis, and move on.

If anything, I'd say Michigan St. is our next best rival after Iowa. If for no other reason, the games are typically chippy, and competitive. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

An irrational dislike is a good place to start. 

tbh this is the broadest and truest/most pure idea of what rivalries are. and by this metric we have a legitimate budding rivalry with iowa. i don't really care if we do, i'm not obsessed with it or trying to force it, i just think we do because it fits the metrics of what i feel like rivalries are.

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s right. It’s not cut and dried and fit into a nice little definition  like some want to make it out to be. 

What color is the sky in your world?  You're the one who was telling me I was wrong (highlighting what I posted and providing a negative, monosyllabic response).  You're playing victim now?  Please...