Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nic said:

But, but, but....the Wolverines went 10-2-1 between 1988 and 2000. I keep having to recall ancient history to feel better.  ;) oh how I miss John Cooper.

So you love ancient history talk, I understand why you hang around the Nebraska board then.  Two peas in a really old, dilapidated pod.  :cheers

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, runningblind said:

So you love ancient history talk, I understand why you hang around the Nebraska board then.  Two peas in a really old, dilapidated pod.  :cheers

Misery loves company...maybe. Honestly it's because most of the folks on the Michigan board are arrogant, pompous, donkeys. They pick at grammar over there. Here if anyone picks on someone's grammar, they get roasted. :P 

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

When you are as low as Nebraska currently is. You should get up for every game because every team can beat us right now. Honestly I dont understand not getting up for a game. If you are a competitor and want to win. I mean if winning is important to you, you hate losing. I don't understand a college athlete not getting up for a game. As much hard work as they put in. I just don't get it.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

When you are as low as Nebraska currently is. You should get up for every game because every team can beat us right now. Honestly I dont understand not getting up for a game. If you are a competitor and want to win. I mean if winning is important to you, you hate losing. I don't understand a college athlete not getting up for a game. As much hard work as they put in. I just don't get it.

I think it's just coach speak.  As sad as it sounds, I think our players had already chalked up a win against Illinois before the game.  Hopefully that was the reality check they needed - we are the team that others are chalking up the mental victory against.  

4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I think it's just coach speak.  As sad as it sounds, I think our players had already chalked up a win against Illinois before the game.  Hopefully that was the reality check they needed - we are the team that others are chalking up the mental victory against.  

I just don’t understand where that confidence comes from I mean these players have lost 8 of their last 10 games. Honestly what game is a given? 

• Fire 1
10 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just don’t understand where that confidence comes from I mean these players have lost 8 of their last 10 games. Honestly what game is a given? 

The media, fans, vegas, experts, etc...  We have to all admit, we chalked up a victory against Illinois before the game was even played.  The players can all read, listen and watch what is being said week by week.  Vegas said we would win by over 2 touchdowns.  Every expert in the country said how much we were improved and how bad Illinois was - after all they needed a last second field goal to beat lowly Rutgers.  I think the players went into that game thinking they had already won.  Hopefully now they realize that lowly Rutgers would probably give them all they can handle. 

3 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

tenor.gif?itemid=17502421

Yes, that is Iowa yawning like Wisc before them.  We aren't anyone's rival because we haven't performed up to the rival level.  In the 80s(old man talk here) Colorado wanted to our rival.  We yawned.  Yet Coach M circled that Nebraska game on the calendar.  They finally won a game or 2 and they became a rival because they earned it.  We haven't earned anything yet.  Maybe a rival wt Northwestern because of all of the close games. 

• Plus1 3

BRI,

Does Iowa consider Nebraska a rival.  I think they want to beat us everytime they line up, but is the calendar circled for this game?  Do they seem to hate us.  I haven't been in the area for many years.  Just wondering if this a one sided hate fest that we have lost time and time again.  To me the real question is does Iowa consider Nebraska a rival.  The past is the past, means absolutely nothing going forward.  My guess is they think of us as more of an ahole neighbor.  I don't think we have proven in the last 20 years we are a rival to anyone.  Win some games, get out of the basement of the BIG and we might deserve a rival status.  

56 minutes ago, skersfan said:

BRI,

Does Iowa consider Nebraska a rival.  I think they want to beat us everytime they line up, but is the calendar circled for this game?  Do they seem to hate us.  I haven't been in the area for many years.  Just wondering if this a one sided hate fest that we have lost time and time again.  To me the real question is does Iowa consider Nebraska a rival.  The past is the past, means absolutely nothing going forward.  My guess is they think of us as more of an ahole neighbor.  I don't think we have proven in the last 20 years we are a rival to anyone.  Win some games, get out of the basement of the BIG and we might deserve a rival status.  

I think they hate us.  A rival is someone that constantly blocks your path to success.  Keeps you from obtaining your goals.  A team you go head to head with.  Not a team that you have beat constantly.