Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, skersfan said:

BRI,

Does Iowa consider Nebraska a rival.  I think they want to beat us everytime they line up, but is the calendar circled for this game?  Do they seem to hate us.  I haven't been in the area for many years.  Just wondering if this a one sided hate fest that we have lost time and time again.  To me the real question is does Iowa consider Nebraska a rival.  The past is the past, means absolutely nothing going forward.  My guess is they think of us as more of an ahole neighbor.  I don't think we have proven in the last 20 years we are a rival to anyone.  Win some games, get out of the basement of the BIG and we might deserve a rival status.  

We most definitely consider you a rival.  Hell - most the of the games have been close and come down to the very end so even with one side winning a lot, it's not like they have been blowout games.  The fact that many in the Nebraska fanbase continue to look down on Iowa even with Iowa owning a 5 year win streak just adds fuel to the fire.  For many it is friendly, but there is some hate there for sure with some people.

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, Caven said:

We most definitely consider you a rival.  Hell - most the of the games have been close and come down to the very end so even with one side winning a lot, it's not like they have been blowout games.  The fact that many in the Nebraska fanbase continue to look down on Iowa even with Iowa owning a 5 year win streak just adds fuel to the fire.  For many it is friendly, but there is some hate there for sure with some people.

The only ones who look down on you at this point are morons or people who don't want to admit reality.  I'm excited there is a game in this conference in which things are brewing into a rivalry.  Should be fun in the future.  Best of luck today.  GBR.

• Plus1 2

Yes they consider us a rival. Look at the way their Kicker acted after hitting the game winning field goal last year.

At this point, anyone who says they aren't a rival, are living in the past and want to go back to the Big 8 where we had Oklahoma as a rival. Yes this is an overstatement, partially, because you still hear a lot of push back about Nebraska being in the B1G that has grown louder with the various conference missteps regarding COVID.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Caven said:

Iowa fan giving the Huskers significantly more credit than many Husker fans.

What a time to be alive.

• Plus1 1

The question was to BRI.  He lives there, has for a long time.

I know they hated that we were so successful in the Big 8 and 12.  Comments used to be we never played anyone but Oklahoma.  Yada yada.

Iowa may have been a road block for Nebraska, but not the other way around it seems by the record.  Do most Iowan's feel that Nebraska is the main game of the year for them.  Do Nebraska fans feel that way?  That is a rival for me. 

Personally they never fit as a rival, Wisconsin did almost instantly.  I never respected Iowa, really was not concerned about them until we got to this conference.  I have grown to respect them and their solid football.  Building good teams with out what is considered top level talent.  

1 hour ago, skersfan said:

The question was to BRI.  He lives there, has for a long time.

I know they hated that we were so successful in the Big 8 and 12.  Comments used to be we never played anyone but Oklahoma.  Yada yada.

Iowa may have been a road block for Nebraska, but not the other way around it seems by the record.  Do most Iowan's feel that Nebraska is the main game of the year for them.  Do Nebraska fans feel that way?  That is a rival for me. 

Personally they never fit as a rival, Wisconsin did almost instantly.  I never respected Iowa, really was not concerned about them until we got to this conference.  I have grown to respect them and their solid football.  Building good teams with out what is considered top level talent.  

Iowa hates us and doesn't really take us seriously and why should they at this point? But they've hated us and what we've been about since I can remember. Iowa fans seem to have it stuck in their heads that we're still stuck in the 90's and expect national titles every year which we all know isn't true. But even though they hate us it's not like they really hype up the week leading up to the game or anything. They really only get like that for ISU. I personally hate Iowa more than any other program in the B1G and that's because a majority of their fans I've met are complete a$$holes for no reason. They're pompous as hell....

That is somewhat what I remember.  Thought we got more than we deserved so to speak.

I gave up hate after Viet Nam.  I try to keep that word in check.  Not a Iowa fan, never have been, even though I lived there for awhile.  Nebraska fan, but I don't hate other teams.  I want Nebraska to win every game, but getting older and somewhat getting used to not doing so, I accept where we are at.  

I think all of us tend to think that Nebraska is the only program that can improve, but almost every team improves from year to year.  We look at others and don't give them credit for their hard work, recruiting and coaching.

I think Coach Frost has to stick by his guns.  Washington was a problem and it created far more than he was worth.  The kids cannot  run the program.  

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There WILL be a point where we go on a run against this team and hopefully it will shut up so many Hawkeye fans.  It might be when Frost finally has our program running and Kirk is gone.

I dream of that day.

Iowa fans will squawk all year up to the game then when they lose they'll pout like 4 yr olds. It doesnt matter if they have lost 25 in a row to you, they'll talk like they are better. Beating them only shuts them up temporarily.