Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Some of the best rivalries in sports are dominated by one side.  I want to beat Iowa as bad as anyone.  But, to say it's not a rivalry because we've lost so many against them doesn't hold up when looking at other major rivalries.  

I think what makes this at least in the discussion of rivalry is the way the games are.  Always close and always seem to come down to the last possession.   I think I've seen more people say Wisconsin is more of a rival and we haven't beat them in a while and they kicked the ever living crap out of us a few times.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Some of the best rivalries in sports are dominated by one side.  I want to beat Iowa as bad as anyone.  But, to say it's not a rivalry because we've lost so many against them doesn't hold up when looking at other major rivalries.  

Maybe at the current time, but there were wins on both sides at one time to create the rivalry if you look back. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any rivalry that is one sided the entire time.

42 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Maybe at the current time, but there were wins on both sides at one time to create the rivalry if you look back. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any rivalry that is one sided the entire time.

Georgia has a 62-39-5 lead over Georgia Tech

Washington has a 67-31-6 lead over Washington State

Purdue has a 57-27-3 lead over Indiana

Michigan has a 67-22-3 lead over Minnesota

Oklahoma has an 82-17-7 lead over Oklahoma State

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Georgia has a 62-39-5 lead over Georgia Tech

Washington has a 67-31-6 lead over Washington State

Purdue has a 57-27-3 lead over Indiana

Michigan has a 67-22-3 lead over Minnesota

Oklahoma has an 82-17-7 lead over Oklahoma State

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Iowa has a 46-22 lead over ISU with a 6 game losing streak for ISU.  I'm pretty sure that's a rivalry.  

You're both still ignoring what I said. The point was a rivalry where one side always won, and there never was a stretch where the other team didn't win. In every one you pointed out there have been times where the losing school won games to create the rivalry.  That's literally how it gets started.

• Plus1 1
Just now, runningblind said:

You're both still ignoring what I said. Cool.

No, the idea is that Iowa isn't our rival because we haven't beaten them in 7 years.  I said there are rivalries that are lopsided.  You said, 

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

So, I pointed out that Nebraska Iowa historical record is actually Nebraska 29-20-3.  Which, would indicate that your statement would allow Nebraska Iowa to be a rivalry.

Mavric just added to that.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, the idea is that Iowa isn't our rival because we haven't beaten them in 7 years.  I said there are rivalries that are lopsided.  You said, 

So, I pointed out that Nebraska Iowa historical record is actually Nebraska 29-20-3.  Which, would indicate that your statement would allow Nebraska Iowa to be a rivalry.

Mavric just added to that.

LMAO. I am arguing that Iowa IS our rival also, there is history there. Thanks for reading into what I said more than necessary. 

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

LMAO. I am arguing that Iowa IS our rival also, there is history there. Thanks for reading into what I said more than necessary. 

AAAHHHHH......with what I quoted, you were talking about the Nebraska Iowa rivalry.  So....we agree.

Sorry.  Thought you were saying differently.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Other rivalries that are lopsided are still rivalries not because of the competitive balance but because of a long shared history, usually in-state.

We don't have that, so that's when you move onto new defining criteria, such as animosity and competitive balance.

Iowa and Nebraska do actually have a long history.  The series is 29-20-3.  So, long term we have some competitive balance.  There is animosity between the states.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Iowa and Nebraska do actually have a long history.  The series is 29-20-3.  So, long term we have some competitive balance.  There is animosity between the states.

33 of the 52 times we've played were before World War II ended. I don't think that really counts for anything.

• Plus1 1