Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Hawks dodged bullets all of last year giving a false sense of being a decent football team, while actually sucking pretty badly. I'd like to see Scott Frost come to Iowa City and be our new offensive coordinator. This is the year that the Huskers can take it out on the Hawks. The wins losses (in recent years) need to be more even to get a rivalry established.

Iowa is not our rival.  You only have one maybe two rivals.  

For example Michigan has Ohio St,  Michigan St.  

Iowa to us right now is a project like a broke down motor.  You kick its a$$, make it do what you want, then move on with life.  You dont hate it.  You just take care of it. 

6 hours ago, nupowr said:

Iowa to us right now is a project like a broke down motor.  You kick its a$$, make it do what you want, then move on with life.  You dont hate it.  You just take care of it. 

Michigan has four rivals. Brady Hokey got fired for losing to all four in 2014, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Little Brother, and the team down south.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
8 hours ago, nupowr said:

These hard and fast rules as to what a rival is or isn’t are ridiculous. 

There are good examples of the opposite of every one that people come up with. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

The first few years after we joined the Big Ten, I pushed back on the "Iowa is our rival" thing. Most of the fans outside of Omaha never even think of Iowa, or thought of them like Iowa State. It was mostly the people in Omaha, who deal with Iowegians nearly daily, who talked about it like an established rivalry.

My thing was always, "this is going to take time."

Well, time has passed. We've been beaten by these guys for years. They have the attention of every Nebraska fan now. 

If it isn't a full-blown rivalry at this point, it's well on its way. 

We just need to pull our heads out and win once in a while. Preferably a win that keeps Iowa from going to a bowl game. Something that matters beyond the scope of the game itself.

• Plus1 1

The only thing that would keep it from being a rivalry is the lopsided record over the past several years. I see it as a rivalry as both sets of fans pretty well dislike each other and dislike the other team. On Saturdays, besides hoping that their team wins, they always hope that the other team loses to whomever they are playing. The fact that some on here would like to see the Huskers ruin the hopes of the Hawks going to a bowl game adds more credence to it being a real rivalry. Hopefully the Huskers can hand a dew W's against the Hawks so that the game does not continue to be a bit of a "gimme". For the Huskers, they have nothing to lose this season and that makes the scary. They will play very emotionally, and those emotions will get them over the hump. No doubt you will have more wins this year without Frost, and one of those will probably be against Iowa. How much would it add to the Rivalry if Scott Frost came to Iowa as the OC? 

Nothing says rivalry like, “You guys suck @$$! Oh wait, we are garbage too! Maybe next year?”

Proceed to forget said team exists.

Seriously, since Bo left, I know we haven’t beat them in a lot of close losses, but I can’t say I remember any of them. I think a couple have even been overtime. We just suck so bad that it doesn’t even matter. Iowa doesn’t piss me off as much as Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Northwestern does. Wisconsin is just better, Minnesota gives us fits when we should be using them a stepping stone towards success, and Northwestern doesn’t f up their gameplay and they are so inferior that losing to them reminds me of how sh*tty we are.

9 hours ago, CyHawk said:

The only thing that would keep it from being a rivalry is the lopsided record over the past several years. I see it as a rivalry as both sets of fans pretty well dislike each other and dislike the other team. On Saturdays, besides hoping that their team wins, they always hope that the other team loses to whomever they are playing. The fact that some on here would like to see the Huskers ruin the hopes of the Hawks going to a bowl game adds more credence to it being a real rivalry. Hopefully the Huskers can hand a dew W's against the Hawks so that the game does not continue to be a bit of a "gimme". For the Huskers, they have nothing to lose this season and that makes the scary. They will play very emotionally, and those emotions will get them over the hump. No doubt you will have more wins this year without Frost, and one of those will probably be against Iowa. How much would it add to the Rivalry if Scott Frost came to Iowa as the OC? 

I have told my Iowa buddy the bold part a couple times this week. He says he wants to throw up from hearing that idea, then I just send him offensive highlights of Iowa this year and remind him he shouldn't have any vomit left in him at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, The Whale said:

Yes, they were close games. Good games. But brother - be realistic. Winning seven games IN A ROW against us is the definition of OWNING.

GBR!

Not so fun facts:

During that timeframe we are:

4-4 vs. Illinois

3-5 vs. Minnesota

3-5 vs. Purdue

3-5 vs. Northwestern

0-7 vs. Wisconsin

0-6 vs. Ohio State

0-3 vs. Michigan

0-2 vs. Oklahoma

0-2 vs. Colorado