Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Iowa state auditor Rob Sand said he will oppose the settlement if the university retains Barta, who has led the department since 2006. Sand is one of three members of the State Appeal Board, which meets Monday afternoon to approve the settlement.

“Under Gary Barta’s leadership at the University of Iowa Athletics Department, we’ve had the Peter Gray scandal plus three instances of discrimination totaling nearly $7 million in damages (setting aside other suits),” Sand said in a statement to other board members and first reported by The Des Moines Register. “After (a $6.6 million settlement to former associate athletics director Jane Meyer and field hockey coach Tracey Griesbaum on gender and sexual discrimination claims), Barta asserted no wrong was done. Now we have a new matter for $4 million more, and for the first time, they want part paid from the taxpayers’ general fund, even though they now collect tens of millions annually (through) the Big Ten TV deal.

“Enough is enough. Clear personal accountability is necessary. I will not support taxpayers funding this settlement unless Gary Barta is no longer employed at the university and forfeits any severance or similar pay. I encourage you to join me. Real accountability will help prevent discrimination, protecting both taxpayers and future victims.”

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Iowa state auditor Rob Sand said he will oppose the settlement if the university retains Barta, who has led the department since 2006. Sand is one of three members of the State Appeal Board, which meets Monday afternoon to approve the settlement.

“Under Gary Barta’s leadership at the University of Iowa Athletics Department, we’ve had the Peter Gray scandal plus three instances of discrimination totaling nearly $7 million in damages (setting aside other suits),” Sand said in a statement to other board members and first reported by The Des Moines Register. “After (a $6.6 million settlement to former associate athletics director Jane Meyer and field hockey coach Tracey Griesbaum on gender and sexual discrimination claims), Barta asserted no wrong was done. Now we have a new matter for $4 million more, and for the first time, they want part paid from the taxpayers’ general fund, even though they now collect tens of millions annually (through) the Big Ten TV deal.

“Enough is enough. Clear personal accountability is necessary. I will not support taxpayers funding this settlement unless Gary Barta is no longer employed at the university and forfeits any severance or similar pay. I encourage you to join me. Real accountability will help prevent discrimination, protecting both taxpayers and future victims.”

Had to look up Rob Sand.  From Decorah.  Attended law school at Iowa.

This guy would be a gangster if he got Barta fired.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Soooo…..fire the AD and not the coaches that allowed the problem to exist.  Interesting. 

• Plus1 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 4:35 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Soooo…..fire the AD and not the coaches that allowed the problem to exist.  Interesting. 

I would never expect for you to use something as cutting edge as Google, but, the coaches were all dropped from the lawsuit as there was no evidence to keep them in it. Somebody figured that it was cheaper just to settle up with a bunch of washed up "has beens" that could not make it in the NFL.

Would you like to discuss a head coach that once kept a gun in his safe that a player used in a crime? Your absolute hate for Iowa definitely blurs your vision!

Barta, Ferentz, his son and offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz and former strength coach Chris Doyle were dismissed from the lawsuit last week, which signaled that a proposed settlement was imminent. Kirk Ferentz said in a statement he is “greatly disappointed” in how the matter was resolved

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

And remind me how this changes the fact that Nebraska has had a horrible football program for longer than any current players have been living? While I hope that Rhule turns it around, the Husker football program has been an absolute embarrassment. 

Here is a Caitlin Clark stat. This year her 3 point percentage is at 39%, which is about 5% better than the Husker football winning percentage over the past 6 years! GBR???

3 hours ago, CyHawk said:

I would never expect for you to use something as cutting edge as Google, but, the coaches were all dropped from the lawsuit as there was no evidence to keep them in it. Somebody figured that it was cheaper just to settle up with a bunch of washed up "has beens" that could not make it in the NFL.

Would you like to discuss a head coach that once kept a gun in his safe that a player used in a crime? Your absolute hate for Iowa definitely blurs your vision!

Barta, Ferentz, his son and offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz and former strength coach Chris Doyle were dismissed from the lawsuit last week, which signaled that a proposed settlement was imminent. Kirk Ferentz said in a statement he is “greatly disappointed” in how the matter was resolved

LOL….your own quote says they were dismissed because they reached a settlement. That doesn’t mean they are innocent. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL….your own quote says they were dismissed because they reached a settlement. That doesn’t mean they are innocent. 

There was no evidence to back up the claims. Read again, at the time they were dismissed there was no settlement.

Now, how about keeping a Head Coach keeping a players gun in a safe just to aid in winning. Selling your sole out cost 20+ years of living in the gutter!

• Haha 1