Mavric

Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Rivalry Week?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nobody is going to agree with me, but I think that, for Nebraska, the "rival" is the team that stands between you and the league championship (like Oklahoma was under Devaney and Osborne. Now, leagues are big (and split into halves) and have a league championship - so if you want to stretch and apply my definition today, it would be the team we expect to battle us for the top of our side of the Big 10 - which is Wisconsin.

However, I think that the whole concept of "rivals" is now kind of dumb. Particularly when you don't get to play some teams again for years, thanks to the large leagues and resulting scheduling issues. There will still be natural rivals if they split a state or a region, like Alabama vs Auburn or Michigan vs Ohio St. but for Nebraska every game is important and we don't NEED a special "enemy". Except maybe Colorado.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Driving on the interstate yesterday i saw a hitchhiker wearing an Iowa hoodie.  That has to make him a psychopath right?

It does.  You did right.:D

10 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Wisconsin is our Texas.

And Texas wasn't our rival.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Wisconsin is our rival in this league. I'm not sure why anybody thinks Iowa would be other than location.

How do you figure? They've beaten us 6 times in a row and 8 of the last 9. They're our new Texas (for now).

Iowa is closer to being a rival now that they've won some but time will tell. I think 5 years from now they'll be our doormat.

The teams that seem most like rivals as far as the series have gone are Northwestern and Minnesota. Iowa gets mentioned more often because of proximity - I'll agree with you there.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Nobody is going to agree with me, but I think that, for Nebraska, the "rival" is the team that stands between you and the league championship (like Oklahoma was under Devaney and Osborne. Now, leagues are big (and split into halves) and have a league championship - so if you want to stretch and apply my definition today, it would be the team we expect to battle us for the top of our side of the Big 10 - which is Wisconsin.

However, I think that the whole concept of "rivals" is now kind of dumb. Particularly when you don't get to play some teams again for years, thanks to the large leagues and resulting scheduling issues. There will still be natural rivals if they split a state or a region, like Alabama vs Auburn or Michigan vs Ohio St. but for Nebraska every game is important and we don't NEED a special "enemy". Except maybe Colorado.

If it's the team that stands between us and a league championship, so far, everyone's been our rival. But, we're on our way to narrowing it down. Iowa is our Colorado. Hate 'em and really want to beat 'em but Wiscy is where it's at....when we start holding up our end of the deal.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

And you didn't bump him off?!!!

You don't want to do that.  A friend hit one once and it left a yellow stain on his truck.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

How do you figure? They've beaten us 6 times in a row and 8 of the last 9. They're our new Texas (for now).

Iowa is closer to being a rival now that they've won some but time will tell. I think 5 years from now they'll be our doormat.

The teams that seem most like rivals as far as the series have gone are Northwestern and Minnesota. Iowa gets mentioned more often because of proximity - I'll agree with you there.

We have a different definition of rival. To me it's the team you want to beat the most, like Oklahoma, but yeah it helps to beat them once in a while before you call them a rival. I still think the Iowa 'rivalry' is a media fabrication. 

Personally, I think Northwestern is our rival. Not only because the games have been close, but they still claim to be NU when clearly they are NW and we are NU.

Also, the two teams  could play each year for the rites to wear an ’N’ on the helmets the next time they meet. Eff stupid corporate trophies; play for the N on your helmet.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Personally, I think Northwestern is our rival. Not only because the games have been close, but they still claim to be NU when clearly they are NW and we are NU.

Also, the two teams  could play each year for the rites to wear an ’N’ on the helmets the next time they meet. Eff stupid corporate trophies; play for the N on your helmet.

WINNER!

2 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Driving on the interstate yesterday i saw a hitchhiker wearing an Iowa hoodie.  That has to make him a psychopath right?

That wasn’t an Iowa fan. He’s the sucker who got swindled out of a teenth of meth for that jacket. 

• Plus1 1

Nebraska fans are used to a “rivalry of respect” with Oklahoma.  Two teams with similar history who battled nearly every year for the conference crown.

Nebraska fans are not used to a rivalry drawn on good old fashioned hate.  That’s Iowa.

• Plus1 2

To me a “rival” is a team that gives the fan base a little more juice the week of the game.  Oklahoma is a rival. Texas is a rival. Colorado is a rival. K State is a rival. Iowa is a rival. Wisconsin is a rival.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

Nebraska fans are used to a “rivalry of respect” with Oklahoma.  Two teams with similar history who battled nearly every year for the conference crown.

Nebraska fans are not used to a rivalry drawn on good old fashioned hate.  That’s Iowa.

This is well said.

Iowa to me is like what Kansas State was in the Big 8/Big 12 days after they got over the hump in 1998 and beat Nebraska for the first time in ages.  It's a heightened level of disgust.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

This OU rivalry on “respect” is revisionist history. It was pure hatred in the 70s and 80s.  Switzer was the biggest cheater in CFB outside of the old SWC.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

Is Iowa a rival to Nebraska? Kind of. It's getting there. Look, it's never going to perfect like Oklahoma was. We just need to accept that Nebraska will never have another Oklahoma again.

I can come up with a scenario that essentially would make the two full-blooded rivals for the next decade. It will only to take two games over the next year and one week.

2018 game next week: Nebraska comes out and pummels Iowa like they did to Colorado in 2005. Nebraska scores late, goes for two and gets it. Nebraska beats Iowa in Iowa City 46-14. Most Nebraska fans mock Iowa after the thrashing and say Iowa may never beat Nebraska again.

2019 game in a year and one week: Nebraska enters at 9-2 and ranked around the top 10. Iowa enters at 7-4 enduring a standard Kirk Ferentz ho-hum year. Nebraska would clinch the west division with a win. They don't win though. Iowa rolls into Lincoln and stuns Nebraska 24-20 after the Hawkeye D has a goal line stand in the final minutes to preserve the win. Iowa fans mock Nebraska about how they failed to win the division again and that they never will again.

This scenario makes Iowa the biggest rival for most Nebraska fans for the immediate future. Not forever. but for at least a while. And the more games like the two above and the further entrenched they become as rivals.

• Plus1 2

I mostly consider Iowa a rival because it’s crept into my day.  I have 3 neighbors where the wife is an Iowa fan. They talk so much s#!t...season, off season, games, etc..

all i I can do is sort of take, I’m not going to point to overall W/L or how mediocre they are most years. I just nod and say,  I hope we start winning soon.

i can’t talk back because we’ve not been too good lately. It pisses me off. It makes me want to beat that team. It makes me want to shut these people up. It makes me mad because we’ve always been better, until recently. Just beat Iowa to shut these people up...

that to me feels like a rivalry. Or as close as I’ve felt to one since Colorado, kstate, and the main OU...shut all these fans up because we’re Nebraska, and we’re better. 

• Plus1 1

Everyone in our division is our rival except maybe Illinois. Until we start beating these teams regularly, they are our rival since we seem to struggle to beat them consistently.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't understand Nebraska's obsession with having a "rival."

First off, I don't know how much of an "obsession" there is. I certainly (I can only speak for myself here but I imagine I speak for plenty of others) don't feel obsessed with having a rival. But I'll still talk about it and think about it at my leisure.

Second, by your metrics of what supposedly prove it's not a rivalry, Michigan/Michigan State is also not a rivalry. Oklahoma/Oklahoma State is also not a rivalry. Oregon/Oregon State is also not a rivalry. 

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

If you want to claim Iowa as a true rival, you have to accept that what Iowa is or has is what Nebraska wants, or wants to be.

No you don't..?

• Plus1 4

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

This OU rivalry on “respect” is revisionist history. It was pure hatred in the 70s and 80s.  Switzer was the biggest cheater in CFB outside of the old SWC.

This is so true. Im guilty of it myself. Back then I didn’t respect OU, I hated them and thought they were scum. 

Personally I have no problems with rivalries waxing and waning over time. It happens in every sport. But, honestly I  I don’t feel a rivalry with any team right now. If we progress and are fighting Wisconsin or Iowa for the Big 10 West every year then one might develop. 

• Plus1 1

You know we don’t have a rival when we can’t agree on who our rival is. 

We want one so we try to justify who it is, but since joining the big 10 we don’t have one. 

Oklahoma is the ex girlfriend we wish we still had. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

No, it's an Iowan whose tractor ran out of gas.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

Correct.  I still hate Oklahoma.  I want them to lose every game, unless, albeit grudgingly, they're playing Alabama (hah, as if Alabama would dare schedule them), Miami (FL), or Notre Dame (this would be a toss up). 

As to their rivalry game with Texas, both could rip each others' heads off and that would be a win for me. :D  

I consider Iowa a rival because my in-laws are from Iowa. My Brother-in-law andnhis wife went to Iowa. I went to college in Iowa and all my friends are Hawkeye fans. I even have a grad student in my lab that is a freaking Hawkeye fan. He brings in Hawkeye stuff to decorate the student office. To me Wisconsin = Oklahoma and Iowa = Colorado. You can have more than one rival.

I would give almost anything for a Nebraska win on friday.

I hear so many Huskerboard members over the years say "Iowa Sucks", only to lose again to them.  

Yesterday Iowa beat Illinois 63-0 ... so, I will be curious how much they say we beat them by at their stadium.

I've always disliked Iowa and the whole B1G.  The conference though is better now then it was when we were in the Big XII and Big 8.

I think for eastern Nebraska fans it's a much bigger deal to them vs like Colorado was to western nebraska fans. I guess I can't speak for everyone, but that's how I feel.

I can understand if Northwestern changed conferences and they conjured up a rivalry based on region.  It may take time to develop this rivalry.   A true rivalry is match where you can go 0-11 entering the game, but if you beat your rival, it feels like a successful season.  This is how it is/was with the NFL's oldest rivalry, Bears and Packers, especially when it was Lombardi-Halas and Ditka-Gregg.   Personally, I derive the greatest satisfaction beating Iowa, based on the previous coach Hayden Fry and the current one, and other factors, and how they can pummel you when they beat you, like they did to Illinois.  To me, Iowa is much more the rival than Illinois is, for Northwestern (who was overlooking Notre Dame for Iowa).   And I am rooting hard for Nebraska to beat them soundly, if not this year, in the years to come.  It's not like Iowa and Nebraska have no past, they do, in the 80's and 30's/40's.   I would think getting beat 30 and 42 points the last two years would stir a anger for revenge.  As I said before, Nebraska has a great fan base and are nice people, best in the Big 10.    

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't understand Nebraska's obsession with having a "rival."

We don't need a rival. Every team does not have a rival. Rivalries are something that develop over time, organically. That is not what's happening here. And it sucks.

The main reason this Iowa "rivalry" talk happens every year is because the major news outlets that cover Nebraska football have a huge footprint in Iowa. A huge, HUGE chunk of their audience roots for Iowa, and they have to sell stories to that audience. So they stoke this fire that burns not-so-brightly for most Husker fans to further their own ends. And most fans aren't discerning enough to grasp that, so they just blithely follow along.  

To understand why Iowa may or may not be a rival, we need to understand who and what we think Nebraska is.

Nebraska is a team that has won five national championships in the modern era.  We have two legendary coaches, hall-of-famers, who have won multiple national championships each, both in the last 50 years. We have three Heisman Trophy winners in that span. I don't even know how many conference championships. Or divisional championships. A lot, each. Nebraska is one of the top five winningest programs in college football. Ever. We are a Baron of the sport. A pillar.

None of the above is an exaggeration. None is hyperbole.

So let's understand who and what Iowa is.  Until 2011, we didn't play them regularly. In the modern era (1965-present) Iowa has been a perennial mid-tier team in the Big Ten. They have no national championships to their name. They have no Heisman Trophy winners. They have no coaches that Nebraska would rather have. They are not in a more enviable position than Nebraska, unless you count the worst period of contemporary Nebraska football, in which Iowa has a better record.

But there's a problem with that metric. Because that is not how Nebraska Fan measures themselves or their team. If you want to claim Iowa as a true rival, you have to accept that what Iowa is or has is what Nebraska wants, or wants to be.

And that is decidedly not the case. And it has not been the case since Nebraska joined the Big Ten, or even before that.

And anyone making the claim that Nebraska aspires to be what Iowa is fundamentally is lying to themselves. Because we endeavor to be regularly relevant on the national stage, frequently compete for the conference title, and occasionally compete for a national championship.

If you claim that's not what Nebraska Football is, or wants to be, you're lying to yourself. 

And when you acquiesce to that concept, you cannot claim that Iowa is our rival. Because they are not that, they are not Nebraska's barrier to that, and they never have been that. Ever.

Iowa is no more Nebraska's rival than Minnesota. Or Northwestern. Or Wisconsin.

Iowa may be *a* rival. And that's fine. They're in our division, we play every year, we want to beat them.

But they are not *our* rival. They are not the hurdle we must overcome to achieve our goals. They're just another hurdle.

Finally - and sadly, for those who think Iowa is our rival - Iowa does not consider us to be their rival. They never have. They dislike us, they want to beat us, and they have disdain for us. But that is not a special or unique thing for Iowa Fan. They feel the same way about Wisconsin and Minnesota, and far moreso toward them than toward us.

This rivalry talk is dumb and cheap. It is not reciprocated, and it is forced and inorganic.

It is no different than when Dan McCarney decided on a whim that Nebraska was Colorado's rival in the 1980s.

Nebraska Fan disdained that designation. It was laughable.

And now we want to be Colorado, and make that same claim?

Ugh. No.

For god's sake, let's have more dignity than that.

Bill McCartney for the bold.

I basically agree with everything you said, although I do feel CU did, over time, grow into the definition of a rival. Yes it was laughable and embarrassing at the beginning but once they beat us a few times, cost us some conference championships and put one hell of a beat down on us, it was all a little more natural.  The real reason we don’t yet have a B1G rival is mostly due to Nebraska not being good enough to compete for any titles or to be the thorn in another’s side. Wisconsin and Iowa are good candidates for something to develope but not until we hold up our end of the deal.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Bill McCartney for the bold.

I basically agree with everything you said, although I do feel CU did, over time, grow into the definition of a rival. Yes it was laughable and embarrassing at the beginning but once they beat us a few times, cost us some conference championships and put one hell of a beat down on us, it was all a little more natural.  The real reason we don’t yet have a B1G rival is mostly due to Nebraska not being good enough to compete for any titles or to be the thorn in another’s side. Wisconsin and Iowa are good candidates for something to develope but not until we hold up our end of the deal.

Yeah, exactly. Iowa may be our rival later, but not now. Now we just hate each other, but we don't have enough history.

I think they have potential to be a special game as we go on in this conference, but the more we force it the more artificial it seems.

The worst thing they could have done is make up that dumb trophy. That set back the organic nature of the rivalry-building process by a decade.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I hear so many Huskerboard members over the years say "Iowa Sucks", only to lose again to them.  

Yesterday Iowa beat Illinois 63-0 ... so, I will be curious how much they say we beat them by at their stadium.

a) Iowa does suck. We’ve just sucked worse lately.

b) I don’t give a s#!t if Iowa beat Illinois 999-0. The transitive property doesn’t apply. Minnesota beat Purdue 41-10. Purdue beat us. We beat Minnesota. People predicting we beat them shouldn’t be “curious” at all. 

If we go by the idea of being a thorn in someones side, we are a rival for MSU. We seem to beat them even when we are down. I personally like the NW games. They are almost always close no matter which team is playing well. 

Iowa could be a good rival, once NU starts beating them again. If for no other reason than the two teams hate each other.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, exactly. Iowa may be our rival later, but not now. Now we just hate each other, but we don't have enough history.

I think they have potential to be a special game as we go on in this conference, but the more we force it the more artificial it seems.

The worst thing they could have done is make up that dumb trophy. That set back the organic nature of the rivalry-building process by a decade.

I agree. I hate that the conference tries to determine and force these things. It's one reason I prefer the bits of broken chair trophy with Minny. No, they're not our rival but as far as trophy games go, I much prefer something like that to the big nondescript hunk of wood heroes freedom type trophy.

Oklahome was our rival for so many years because 98% of the time the winner of our game determined conference titles and often had national implications. Hate is not the only factor. Many of us had great respect for OU. On the other hand, many of us hated CU and McCartney for calling us their rival. We beat them soundly 18 to 20+ times in a row and out of nowhere they began circling  their game with us in red. They were desperate and no more than a flea we would swat. Its exactly what they needed but it didn't mean anything to us until they finally got good late 80's early 90's, then we had something. Anyway, point being, there are differing criteria and it can vary with the fan. I picture Iowa as possibly becoming like CU but the only Oklahomaesque possibility I perceive at this time would be Wisconsin. That's primarily because lately they seem to be the team you have to go through to win the west. This year is a bit of an anomaly in that Purdue and NW are up a bit and the whole division has cannibalized each other.

Sorry for rambling on...

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2