Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

athletics_logo.jpg?itok=Mp7rQa8NImage may contain: text

While trying to find out why Fox thinks the Cincinnati Bengals are Rutgers main Rival, I stumbled on Urban Meyers take on rivalrieswhen he stressed the importance of success in rivalry games to a group of recruits at a camp … with Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh standing a few feet away.

"I want to see it in your rivalry game. I want to see it on fourth down, when the team needs you," Meyer said, via SB Nation. "Not when you're running around in shorts and T-shirts doing vertical jumps. ... The big game, man. The big one. The one that matters. Not the one where you're up four scores in the third quarter. I want to know (how it is) against your rival, in the big game, on fourth down when they need you the most. Can you give me your very best? If you do? Get ready for a big career."

Most chuckled, of course, because Harbaugh and Meyer are on opposite sides of the Big Ten's greatest rivalry, and it's been tilted toward Meyer ever since Harbaugh returned to his alma mater. But it also jogged my mind about a question I have pondered since I jumped on the Rutgers beat:

To me, for us. that will probably always be Oklahoma.

Maybe it's a generational thing, much like liking the music you grew up with much more than what's considered ''Pop'' now.

But the ''Game of the Century'' in '71 was my introduction to college football. And the following decades with Tom having to deal with ''Sooner Magic'' and having my heart ripped out while dreaming of eventually playing for DONU for the next 7-8 seasons, and folks wearing T'shirts stating that our 2nd favourite team was whoever was playing Oklahoma...I never felt that with Colorado or Iowa...

Maybe Miami. 

• Plus1 1

I changed my vote to Yes from getting there.  I used to think we could do better, that ship had sailed.  I'll take whatever relevancy we can get at this point.  If the squakeyes consider us a rival, then let it be so.  Hopefully one day we can laugh at how dominant we are over our once equally footed rival.

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

The sad reality I have come to is we don't really have a current rival.  We have a few teams some fans care a little more about but nobody on our schedule gets the blood boiling.  Hopefully some day soon that changes.

Did you just come to that because by that definition we haven't had one for 25 years.

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

Did you just come to that because by that definition we haven't had one for 25 years.

25 years?  I think we had multiple rivalries in the mid 90s.  Most fans I know hung on to some of those through the 2000s.  The last 10 years however it hasn't felt like we have anyone.  Wisconsin has been the closest to me and hopefully some day it can be built up into a great rivalry.  Iowa on the other hand has simply highlighted how far we have fallen... Husker fans know they aren't in our league historically or where we intend to go.  GBR 

17 hours ago, Toe said:

They have a history, but no. Pitt is the closest thing to a PSU rival I can think of. When I lived in Syracuse, they thought they were Penn State’s rival. Penn State didn’t care about Syracuse. I don’t think Penn State has a rival in the Big Ten yet.

14 minutes ago, nic said:

They have a history, but no. Pitt is the closest thing to a PSU rival I can think of. When I lived in Syracuse, they thought they were Penn State’s rival. Penn State didn’t care about Syracuse. I don’t think Penn State has a rival in the Big Ten yet.

That was the game I liked in the early Big Ten years for Nebraska.   There was already some history and some bad blood. Could have been something but then things were forced with grocery trophies and such.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, runningblind said:

That was the game I liked in the early Big Ten years for Nebraska.   There was already some history and some bad blood. Could have been something but then things were forced with grocery trophies and such.

18 hours ago, runningblind said:

I actually sort of miss the leaders and legends divisions.