Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Here's my hope: they're at 24.5 PPG by the Nebraska game, score enough to bump that to 25, but still lose so they have to retain him. 

How bout we beat them 42-0, but they make a bowl game played at 11 AM on Dec 16th against a directional school and hang 60 points getting his 25.0 ppg average and he receives an extension and a raise.  

But I would take you scenario too.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's fine, as long as we have scored 76+ points on them and they only get to 25 after scoring some late TDs on our 4th string walk-ons to save Brian's job.

I love it.

16 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

How bout we beat them 42-0, but they make a bowl game played at 11 AM on Dec 16th against a directional school and hang 60 points getting his 25.0 ppg average and he receives an extension and a raise.  

But I would take you scenario too.  

Or this, too. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Here's my hope: they're at 24.5 PPG by the Nebraska game, score enough to bump that to 25, but still lose so they have to retain him. 

If they're averaging 24.5 points per game through 11 games, they'll need to score 31 points to bump their average to 25 for the season. 

We've averaged 20.6 points against them since joining the Big Ten. We've only cracked 30 points against them once (2014, in OT), and we've only scored more than 20 points against them five out of twelve games. 

If they get 31 points, we likely lose.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

If they're averaging 24.5 points per game through 11 games, they'll need to score 31 points to bump their average to 25 for the season. 

We've averaged 20.6 points against them since joining the Big Ten. We've only cracked 30 points against them once (2014, in OT), and we've only scored more than 20 points against them five out of twelve games. 

If they get 31 points, we likely lose.

Knapp....come on, man, just let me have this. 

• Haha 3

I know the Brian Ferentz saga is providing endless comic fodder for College Football Twitter, but it’s truly shameful how Iowa is handling it. The main word that comes to mind for me is “cowardice.”

Kirk Ferentz won’t fire his son, no matter how low his offense is ranked. Brian Ferentz won’t take one for the team — he doesn’t even have to quit, he could go back to being the O-line coach. But most cowardly of all is AD Gary Barta, who is technically Brian Ferentz’s boss. In theory, he could just handle this himself. In reality, he won’t dare cross Kirk, the patriarch who himself got a five-year extension complete with a $48 million buyout ($6 million per year) from Barta just a year ago. Cowardice, across the board.

The result is this bizarrely specific and mediocre benchmark for Brian Ferentz that, unless quarterback Cade McNamara comes out and lights the world on fire, will invariably hover over the Hawkeyes’ entire season. Week by week, quarter by quarter, fans/media/broadcasters will track whether Iowa is averaging above or below 25 points per game — a number that would have tied for 85th out of 131 FBS teams last season. If Ferentz’s offense finishes in just the 35th percentile, he’ll be rewarded with a raise and a bonus.

But while most (myself included) focused on the raise/bonus aspect, the most notable clause in the revised contract Iowa released on Monday is this: “If coach does not meet the (benchmarks), the agreement will terminate on June 30, 2024.” By putting specific performance numbers in writing, Gary and Kirk have now spared themselves the indignity of having to fire Kirk’s son. His employment will just lapse. It’s straight out of that scene in “Office Space” where the consultants figure out a way to lay off Milton without actually laying him off.

Fine work all around, fellas. A $150 million Big Ten athletic department is being run like Initech.

https://theathletic.com/4166025/2023/02/08/iowa-football-ferentz-mandel/

• Haha 3
2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Their program is not in a position to set the bar below average.  We have seniors in our program that have never been to bowl.

They are consistent.  I hope the keep Dad and Son for ever.  Mediocrity is OK in their eyes, BUT, if we become what we can be, they are in trouble.  

Although seeing our revolving door, they may want to not fire anyone, ever!

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

They are consistent.  I hope the keep Dad and Son for ever.  Mediocrity is OK in their eyes, BUT, if we become what we can be, they are in trouble.  

Although seeing our revolving door, they may want to not fire anyone, ever!

Iowa fans are happy.  They think they have a dominant program.  Sure, they would like to win a championship.  But, deep down, they don't expect it.

We need to get our program to where they are.  THEN, our fan base will be looking for more because we do expect to win championships.  Hopefully, we get that some day.

However, when we do get to the point where Iowa is, I hope the fan base takes at least some pleasure in being at that point.

• Plus1 1