Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Since no charges were ever filed, by your logic that person must have been innocent.

Oops, misspelled "soul". It was awesome that you all picked up on it as it was a great way to divert from the stat that I shared of Caitlin Clarks 3 point percentage vs the Husker winning percentage. 

It was a different time when Tom kept a players gun "safe" but it does not negate it. It is no secret that Tom had his way with both law enforcement and the local DA. Is there any way that Philips even dresses for a game today, let alone the national championship game. That all said, Tom was not alone, there were many crooked coaches back then that would do anything to win, including selling the SOUL of the program. 

With that, I really do hope that Ruhl has some success turning things around. I believe that he will. 

28 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Oops, misspelled "soul". It was awesome that you all picked up on it as it was a great way to divert from the stat that I shared of Caitlin Clarks 3 point percentage vs the Husker winning percentage. 

It was a different time when Tom kept a players gun "safe" but it does not negate it. It is no secret that Tom had his way with both law enforcement and the local DA. Is there any way that Philips even dresses for a game today, let alone the national championship game. That all said, Tom was not alone, there were many crooked coaches back then that would do anything to win, including selling the SOUL of the program. 

With that, I really do hope that Ruhl has some success turning things around. I believe that he will. 

Good luck to the Iowa women tomorrow,  I'll be rooting for them.  The scoring comparisons are quite silly between the sports but the best one I heard was "That's how they teach all sports to score at Iowa, in 2's and 3's".  I laughed.  :cheers

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Good luck to the Iowa women tomorrow,  I'll be rooting for them.  The scoring comparisons are quite silly between the sports but the best one I heard was "That's how they teach all sports to score at Iowa, in 2's and 3's".  I laughed.  :cheers

When ANY B1G school, in any sport, beats the SEC, it is a good day!

It’s always interesting to hear the “20 years” trope from Neb fans, B1G fans, and CFB fans at large. And yeah it’s no secret that the past 20 years hasn’t yielded the kind of results Neb fans would hope for. But since I had the time this morning, I thought I’d take a deeper look. 

So here we go. Last 20 seasons. 2003-2022. 

Neb

- 141-109 record for a .56 winning pct.
- 6-6 in Bowls. 

Iowa

- 164 - 89 record for a .65 winning pct.  

- 9-8 in Bowls, with a 2020 Bowl cancelled due to Covid. 

Safe to say this is Iowa’s best 20 year modern day stretch. 1 Co-B1G title with two B1G title game appearances. This yielded a 9% better winning percentage and 6 more bowl appearances/invites than Neb’s worst 20 year modern day stretch. 

Now, the last 6 years have obviously been the worst stretch of Nebraska football since the moon landing. So for the sake of conversation, and since it’s peak off season, let’s look at how these various B1G programs fared between 2003-2016. 

Neb

- 118-64. 

- Bowls 6-6. No Major Bowls.
- 7 top 25 finishes. 0 Top Ten. 

Iowa

- 115-66.

- Bowls 5-7. Major Bowls: 1 Orange win. 1 Rose loss. 
- 5 top 25 finishes, 4 in the top 10.

Penn St

- 114-63.

- Bowls 5-5. Major Bowls: 1 Orange win. 2 Rose losses.
- 6 Top 25 finishes, 4 in the top 10. (2007 finished 25 in Coaches, unranked in AP). 

Mich

- 112-65.

- Bowls 3-8. Major Bowls: 1 Sugar win. 3

Rose losses and 1 Orange loss. 

- 8 top 25 finishes (2012 they finished 24th in AP, unranked in Coaches). 3 in the top 10. (2011 they finished 9th in the coaches poll and 12th in the AP.)

So from 2003-2016 Neb kept pace for wins and losses, bowl appearances and ranked finishes. The biggest areas they lagged were top 10 finishes and Major Bowls.

However… I think it’s worth noting that  between 2003 and 2010, Neb played in 3 Big 12 title games. The B1G did not play a title game in that span and had 4 years with co champions. Both Conferences played an 8 conference game schedule. Michigan received a Rose Bowl invite as a co champ and Penn St received Rose and Orange Bowl invites as co champs. 

If Neb did not have to play a Big 12 Championship Game, they’d have been co-champs in 2010. Which could have potentially landed them a Major Bowl. 

So in all, yes the last 20 years have not been great and the last 6 years has been the roughest. But for the other 14 of this infamous 20 year stretch, it seems we generally kept pace with other B1G schools. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Fru said:

It’s always interesting to hear the “20 years” trope from Neb fans, B1G fans, and CFB fans at large. And yeah it’s no secret that the past 20 years hasn’t yielded the kind of results Neb fans would hope for. But since I had the time this morning, I thought I’d take a deeper look. 

So here we go. Last 20 seasons. 2003-2022. 

Neb

- 141-109 record for a .56 winning pct.
- 6-6 in Bowls. 

Iowa

- 164 - 89 record for a .65 winning pct.  

- 9-8 in Bowls, with a 2020 Bowl cancelled due to Covid. 

Safe to say this is Iowa’s best 20 year modern day stretch. 1 Co-B1G title with two B1G title game appearances. This yielded a 9% better winning percentage and 6 more bowl appearances/invites than Neb’s worst 20 year modern day stretch. 

Now, the last 6 years have obviously been the worst stretch of Nebraska football since the moon landing. So for the sake of conversation, and since it’s peak off season, let’s look at how these various B1G programs fared between 2003-2016. 

Neb

- 118-64. 

- Bowls 6-6. No Major Bowls.
- 7 top 25 finishes. 0 Top Ten. 

Iowa

- 115-66.

- Bowls 5-7. Major Bowls: 1 Orange win. 1 Rose loss. 
- 5 top 25 finishes, 4 in the top 10.

Penn St

- 114-63.

- Bowls 5-5. Major Bowls: 1 Orange win. 2 Rose losses.
- 6 Top 25 finishes, 4 in the top 10. (2007 finished 25 in Coaches, unranked in AP). 

Mich

- 112-65.

- Bowls 3-8. Major Bowls: 1 Sugar win. 3

Rose losses and 1 Orange loss. 

- 8 top 25 finishes (2012 they finished 24th in AP, unranked in Coaches). 3 in the top 10. (2011 they finished 9th in the coaches poll and 12th in the AP.)

So from 2003-2016 Neb kept pace for wins and losses, bowl appearances and ranked finishes. The biggest areas they lagged were top 10 finishes and Major Bowls.

However… I think it’s worth noting that  between 2003 and 2010, Neb played in 3 Big 12 title games. The B1G did not play a title game in that span and had 4 years with co champions. Both Conferences played an 8 conference game schedule. Michigan received a Rose Bowl invite as a co champ and Penn St received Rose and Orange Bowl invites as co champs. 

If Neb did not have to play a Big 12 Championship Game, they’d have been co-champs in 2010. Which could have potentially landed them a Major Bowl. 

So in all, yes the last 20 years have not been great and the last 6 years has been the roughest. But for the other 14 of this infamous 20 year stretch, it seems we generally kept pace with other B1G schools. 

You left out Ohio State and Wisconsin. It would be interesting to see all 20 years of info, because much of NU criticism comes from the last 10 years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, nic said:

You left out Ohio State and Wisconsin. It would be interesting to see all 20 years of info, because much of NU criticism comes from the last 10 years. 

Much of the criticism of NU from outside the fan base is about the last 10 years.

From inside the fan base, a lot of it goes back 20 years.  Because many liked to thumb their nose at winning 9-10 games every year.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Much of the criticism of NU from outside the fan base is about the last 10 years.

From inside the fan base, a lot of it goes back 20 years.  Because many liked to thumb their nose at winning 9-10 games every year.

This makes more sense. When NU joined the B1G, the outside world still viewed them as a top tier team....at least the B1G fans did. 10 wins is a good year.