How much of Frost’s system is UCF using this year?

cheekygeek

I have seen no UCF games, but I’m wondering if anyone has any insights into how much of Frost’s playbook/system the new UCF coaching staff retained? And how does that work! I’m guessing the playbooks are university property and so stay when a staff leaves. Has the new UCF staff added any wrinkles? Or concentrated on making improvements on the defensive side of the ball?

Kudos to them for continuing Frost & Co.’s success. I don’t think what UCF is doing this year does anything but enhance Nebrask’s recruiting efforts, since so many of the players, system, & culture came from Frost’s turnaround. Thoughts?

• Plus1 1

Unsure.  To the naked eye, the offense looks the same.  I'm amazed by the speed, depth and plug and play of their skill positions.  Defensively, they have gone  to a 4-3 under Randy Shannon.  So far they seem to like it.....

Following the switch to defensive coordinator Randy Shannon’s 4-3 alignment, any player within range of a microphone said prior to this season that these Knights are going to be more aggressive at the point of attack.

Defensive line coach Shane Burnham said Monday the Knights’ play thus far toward that goal has been “a mixed bag” and “hit and miss.” Burnham also said he’s not a stats guy, but the stats tell a much sunnier story.

UCF has averaged 9.5 tackles for loss through its first two games, tied for the 10th-best national average. By comparison, the Knights finished tied for 67th with 5.8 tackles for a loss per game last season.

2 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I suspect the more important contribution of Frost and his coaches is the culture, attitude and temperament they instilled rather than the x's and o's that is accounting for a good portion of UCF's  continued success this year.

Frost’s ability to build relationships with Fla HS coached was also impressive 

15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I still don’t believe this is true. I think they only have better athletes if you’re talking in comparison to their league.

That helps but they are better than we are at several spots. Greg McCrae is lightning quick, Killins is fast as well. Stan and JD are better than what they have at WR. Titus Davis and Brendon Hayes would start for us, Jasinski would start for us, Hill is solid as well. You can't win that many games in a row and not have good players. 

13 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

That helps but they are better than we are at several spots. Greg McCrae is lightning quick, Killins is fast as well. Stan and JD are better than what they have at WR. Titus Davis and Brendon Hayes would start for us, Jasinski would start for us, Hill is solid as well. You can't win that many games in a row and not have good players. 

You can win that many games in a row with less talented players than 50% of power 5 teams if your SOS is in the bottom 5%, if your players are more talented than any other team in your conference and you have really good coaching. 

I’m guessing they have a few players that would start for us on each side but that doesn’t mean they have more talent overall. We probably have a few players on each side that would start on top ten teams. Our problem was coaching, not talent, and we’ve improved a ton throughout this season so our players many were saying weren’t talented are starting to look pretty damn good.

• Plus1 1

I've watched a few of their games. That team def has more talent than we do, especially speed and depth of talent. Although we're getting there, they play faster and more physical than we do as well.

As to the OP question- don't know, don't care. They score a lot and fast, so things are similar .

I like what they do. I like watching them.

• Plus1 2

I'll add the talent issue. To the eye, they appear to be more talented.  Of course this could simply mean better developed and suited for their system than we currently have. However, they play sound fundamental football.  Are quick to the point of attack and have better depth across the board.  I feel confident we will see a transition similar to UCF in year 2-3 at NU.  They also have athletes recruited to the specific offensive scheme and have several as @BIG ERNstated above, they have several guys that would easily start for us.  We are getting there.  

And yes they play in a G5, but they did pretty well against Pitt this year.  Beat Auburn last year.  Offensively, they can run with anyone in the country.  Watching them last night, Kirk said that outside the top 4, 5-10 could be any of those including UCF.........And regardless of conference, it's incredibly hard to go undefeated.

• Plus1 1

This conversation reminds me of the people saying Michigan was bad when they lost to Notre Dame. The truth was both teams were really good. I don't think the eyeball test works well when comparing UCF's talent to Nebraska's because they are playing teams that have far inferior talent to the teams Nebraska is playing.

The Auburn argument doesn't really work for me, either, because beating a good team in 1 game is not the same as playing in a good conference every single week.

• Plus1 3